Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hot upcoming gigs

how was it fed?

I deliberately avoided it as i will toots and the maytals, due to the fcking carling academy... tho i reaaaally did wanna see the specials.

Hate to say it, but I had a wee dance. :oops::( Even dancing next to the once a year skinheads/sudies.... Tut tut....

Not a bad night as it goes....

Busy week coming up...

Black Dice @ The Dome - Sat
Telepathe @ 93 Ft. East - Mon
Holger Czukay @ The Roundhouse - Thurs
Well what a top week of electronic win that was! First of all, not only did Black Dice turn my brains inside out, but brilliant supports from Astral Social Club (replete with the best beard outside of ZZ Top) and Experimental Dental School (suck on this, White Stripes) would have been worth the £10 entry on their own. What a fuckin night, what a bargain. And at the Dome in Tufnell Park too - how did THAT happen?! (but more, please!)

Then over to so-hip-it's-hell 93 Ft.East for the most comically mismatched headline/support combo you coulds ever imagine. Proving the theory that you can always spot a shit band just by their name, step forward the truly awful - that's FUCKING GODAWFUL! - Ou Est Le Swimming Pool. If that name isn't enough to make you cringe, just go see them. Or rather, don't - their egos are so inflated they don't need an audience. But their crimes against music were soon obliterated by the lush, dark, gorgeous electro-strangeness of Telepathe - they were even cooler than the audience! The album's fine but it gives you no idea just how good these two girls are on stage. Wonderful sound, beautiful visuals - I was totally smitten.

And then last night to Camden for a marvellous evening in the company of one of the true geniuses of modern music, Holger Czukay, who treated us to a career retrospective including old Can rarities, films and reworkings of some of his own material. Some of this was truly sublime, such as his tribute piece to Stockhausen - which thankfully sounded more Kraftwerk than Karl Heinz! The man is 71 and yet some of the stuff he played last night would have sounded more at home in a festival club tent than the Roundhouse (good as it is). What a shame there weren't more punters there - so few that the seating rows were scrapped in favour of tables and chairs - it felt like being at an awards night! - although that made it better for the few of us who were there (looked no more than 300). And what a lovely guy he is - urbane, witty and humble. Just great.

And then last night to Camden for a marvellous evening in the company of one of the true geniuses of modern music, Holger Czukay, who treated us to a career retrospective including old Can rarities, films and reworkings of some of his own material. Some of this was truly sublime, such as his tribute piece to Stockhausen - which thankfully sounded more Kraftwerk than Karl Heinz! The man is 71 and yet some of the stuff he played last night would have sounded more at home in a festival club tent than the Roundhouse (good as it is). What a shame there weren't more punters there - so few that the seating rows were scrapped in favour of tables and chairs - it felt like being at an awards night! - although that made it better for the few of us who were there (looked no more than 300). And what a lovely guy he is - urbane, witty and humble. Just great.

aah, glad someone enjoyed that. The only other review I've seen was rather less taken by the night.

"He's clearly a lovely old cove but I never had him figured for Can's Ringo but there you go" being how it concluded.

I've got the Black Lips, Mika Miko and a bunch of others at Rollerpalooza tomorrow, which I am hoping we dont have to watch whilst actually wearing roller-skates, but I'm worrying that might actually have to...

Then on thursday, its the bizzare but quite wonderful sounding Madame Pamita and Her Parlour of Wonders (http://www.madamepamita.com/)

Saw Yann Tiersen last night. Not what I was expecting at all was but was really good. Like mogwai playing the amelie soundtrack with moog synths. :cool:

Just got back from a gig at B'ham town hall which is a great venue now it's been done out. I saw various folk sing/play Nick Drake songs. It was part of a English Originals week they have put on. Artists included Martha Wainwright, Robyn Hitchcock, Vashti Bunyan, Beth Orton and Graham Coxon plus others.

Also participating was his original manager and arranger Robert Kirby. It was a very fabulous gig and worth the £24.50 I paid...:)

I'm feeling all happy and floaty now..:)

Got a few to look forward to:

A Camp and The Specials this week
Yo La Tengo
Tindersticks in Hyde Park

:)

Ah Yo La Tengo ...I see that they are doing a tour but only one gig in the UK which is sold out. Moo moo. I love love Yo La Tengo and have only seen them once in 2007 and that once is about 5 times too few...:)

I've got the Black Lips, Mika Miko and a bunch of others at Rollerpalooza tomorrow, which I am hoping we dont have to watch whilst actually wearing roller-skates, but I'm worrying that might actually have to...

that was one of the silliest gigs I have ever been to.

Whilst skates weren't obligatory, 90%+ of people had em, so what can you do but join in? briefly.

Sadly the Lips were really not very good, tho playing in a skate park with a couple of amps stuck down one end probably isn't the most auspicious of gigs they could play.

that was one of the silliest gigs I have ever been to.

Whilst skates weren't obligatory, 90%+ of people had em, so what can you do but join in? briefly.

Sadly the Lips were really not very good, tho playing in a skate park with a couple of amps stuck down one end probably isn't the most auspicious of gigs they could play.

i have seen them be really good before, so don't get too put off. tho i'm not keen on the new album from wht i've heard

naah, i'm not put off, and was the first gig in, hmmm, well over ten years anyway, where i got thrown out, so it was a top night all round :)

(fortunately they were just playing their very last chord when the arse of a bouncer dragged me out, I still have fuck all idea what for!)

Let us know what she's like - if she's good I'll go see her at the Luminaire on the 24th

well worth a visit! Both her and Tom Rodwell were great, her tarot readings were not entirely convincing but the songs were good. A fair few in the audience (the pub regulars) were somewhat bemused by the whole thing

Back
Top Bottom