Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hot upcoming gigs

Fat White Family at Village underground , Shoreditch 26th Jan supported by Ghostpoet , only £ 13 but but tickets seem to be going fast .
Also FWF supporting Palma Violets , various venues through March , a great combi if you like your RnR hot sweaty and back to basics.

Kesher said:
Gary Numan at the Hammersmith Apollo : Friday 28th November. Support band: Gang of Four.

I saw The Gang Of Four a couple of months ago. Despite being a Gang Of One original member, they were very good. It was a festival so only a short set but I'd go and watch them again, particularly if they were headlining and you'd get a few more songs.

10828102_963575350338753_2015191796197993872_o.jpg

You can't beat a bit of Beethoven on a drizzly Friday night. Ah not so much upcoming as up-came - yesterday's musical soiree, only enhanced by a greasy burger from the waterloo grill opposite and a bloody gorgeous emerald green sequined dress worn by Alda.

Warpaint was tonight in Brum but has been rescheduled to March..I'm quite sad about it as it would have been last gig of the year & a bimble to xmas market..Now it looks like Goat in October were my last gig.

I will probably buy tickets for Copey as my BF keeps on at me and we haven't been to The Glee Club in ages for a gig..Jim White was the last one there.

I saw The Gang Of Four a couple of months ago. Despite being a Gang Of One original member, they were very good. It was a festival so only a short set but I'd go and watch them again, particularly if they were headlining and you'd get a few more songs.
You mean there's only ONE of the original four left now? I'm sorry but that's just a tribute band with a guest appearance! :facepalm:

You mean there's only ONE of the original four left now? I'm sorry but that's just a tribute band with a guest appearance! :facepalm:
Yeah, Andy Gill. He is the main man, like, and I think is the only member to have been in every lineup but calling themselves The Gang Of Four is really stretching it. I think there was an incarnation of Hermans Hermits that only featured the drummer once so there is a precedent here. :D

Peter Hook was on at the same festival and I was thinking it would be like calling his current band Joy Division.

Yeah, Andy Gill. He is the main man, like, and I think is the only member to have been in every lineup but calling themselves The Gang Of Four is really stretching it. I think there was an incarnation of Hermans Hermits that only featured the drummer once so there is a precedent here. :D

Peter Hook was on at the same festival and I was thinking it would be like calling his current band Joy Division.
Exactly! I saw Gof4 a few years ago but there was Gill and Jon King (+2) and as they were the main guys in the original band (which I saw) that was alright. But when it gets down to just one it's a bit ridiculous, and a bit sad too.

Dr. Furface said:
Exactly! I saw Gof4 a few years ago but there was Gill and Jon King (+2) and as they were the main guys in the original band (which I saw) that was alright. But when it gets down to just one it's a bit ridiculous, and a bit sad too.

Yeah I think you at least need a couple of the front men, don't you? Like if say The Smiths reformed and it was just Morrissey and Marr with a different rhythm section I'd be a bit :hmm: but would think it was just about OK. But just one of them? Nah.

I think being billed as just Andy Gill wouldn't sell many tickets but the name Gang Of Four does. It caught my attention anyhow. And tbf to them they still sounded great. It was Andy Gill solo with a good backing band though, really.

Saw GOF last year and it was pretty terrible tbh. When only one member is left and they're not the singer (everyone else replaced with young good looking dudes) it's just a tribute band. Felt pretty gutless. I caught them about seven or eight years ago at an ATP when they had almost the original line-up and it was awesome, so measured against that it was poor. Plus they had some idiot roadie running on and off stage constantly, adjusting the vocal mic by a few millimetres between songs, and it just looked like pointless rockstar bullshit. They didn't ingratiate themselves with the venue staff either, to the point that they made a complaint to the promoter. A fucking shame, because I love the songs.

We Have An Anchor
by Jem Cohen
31 March 2015 / 19:30 @ The Barbican

We Have An Anchor sees independent filmmaker, Jem Cohen, collaborating with an extraordinary ensemble of acclaimed musicians from bands including Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Fugazi, and Dirty Three in a cinematic love letter to Nova Scotia's Cape Breton.

Multiple layered film projections are interspersed with texts ranging from poems to local folklore, and buoyed by the group’s alternately ethereal and epic original score.

The project was last presented to great acclaim in the Brooklyn Academy of Music’s (BAM) Next Wave series and appears here in its European debut.

Confirmed line-up:
Guy Picciotto (Fugazi)
Jim White (Dirty Three)
T. Griffin (The Quavers)
Efrim Manuel Menuck (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Thee Silver Mt. Zion)
Sophie Trudeau (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Thee Silver Mt. Zion)
Jessica Moss (Thee Silver Mt. Zion)
Mira Billotte (White Magic)

Heading off for The Dylan Project in an hour :)

Brand new experience -- I've never seen them.

But I've had loads of recommendations ... :cool:

Also, festivaldeb is ill and wants me out of the house (she's jealous too -- she's seen them in the past, and she'd loved to have come along :( )

(Will just have to drink some more beer to deal better with going on my own ;) )

Stupidly good line-up in Manchester in March. Mugstar, Hey Colossus and the almighty DRUNK IN HELL playing at Islington Mill on 6th. I'm totally getting a babysitter.

Back
Top Bottom