Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horse Meat found in Tesco Beefburgers

I tell you what was a bigger scandal than this horse meat one - when I found out that shepherds pie was actually supposed to contain lamb, and all my life my mum had been putting minced beef in it!
My mum used to tell us that it was made of shepherds, I thought we were a secret sect of cannibals until I found out it was lamb, one of the disappointments of my early life.

...Wonders: Is Tesco Mince Beef any safer?

why should it be?

any meat process where the animal leaves your sight between it being slaughtered and being served on your plate involves you trusting the retailer/producer - i would suggest that trusting a retailer who admits that they don't trust their producers is being overly charitable.

get down to your local butcher, watch him carve off a lump of meat from a beef carcass, then put it through a mincer, and then wrap it and give it to you.

that is security of supply - your butcher will happily tell you where the cow came from, when it was slaughtered and where, and should you wish, he will produce all the paperwork to prove it.

while we have got away with this episode with the 'dodgy element' being horse meat that was probably destined for some form of consumption - human or animal - next time we may not be so lucky.

Dunno, my local butcher looks a bit dodgy...

tumblr_lxjxxbiNQl1qi2a26.jpg

I was being sarcastic. Someone I know was assured by her local butcher that she was buying Welsh lamb, and when she got home it had 'New Zealand' stamped on it.

If you go to the cold meat section of asda/morrisons/tesco etc. The little plastic labels on the joints, breasts and legs of ham/chicken/turkey/beefetc. all say less than 100% 'relevant meat'...so they're probably not real, either.

The uses that Bulgarian scoundrels are making of retired horsies are commendably entrepreneurial. But what's happening to all the carts?

Are they being passed off as luxury caravans? Perhaps they are stripped down, and fetch up in Heals labelled as distressed country-style wheeled dining tables? Passed through a wood-chipper, sprayed with non-brewed condiment and disguised as fish'n'chip sandwich filling?

Surely someone knows?

I'd quite like McDonalds to be caught up in this whole scandal. They must all be shitting themselves.

Someone asked them already:

Is there any horse meat in you burgers?
Thanks for your question. We can assure you that there is not. We only use whole cuts of 100% British and Irish beef in our burgers. This beef is sourced from Quality Assured farms that are fully traceable.

Burger King are in the shit though:

"British and Irish burger fans could face a Whopper shortage. Burger King has stopped buying beef from an Irish meat processor whose patties were found to contain traces of horsemeat."

Pork in Waitrose beef products. :) Now the shit'll really hit the rotating thing.

http://news.sky.com/story/1051259/horsemeat-scandal-uk-slaughterhouse-raided

e FSA and police are looking into the circumstances through which meat products, purporting to be beef for kebabs and burgers, were sold, which were in fact horse.
The FSA has suspended operations at both sites while it investigates the first suspected instance of a UK abattoir passing off horsemeat as beef.
Meanwhile, Waitrose has announced it is clearing the shelves of its Essential British Frozen Beef Meatballs after pork was detected in tests on two batches.

This shit just got religious.

I'll take the pork meatballs, fuck, I'll take horse meatballs! I was gonna make a sweet and sour sauce for them anyway, no way would I be tasting any kind of meat regardless!

I'll take the pork meatballs, fuck, I'll take horse meatballs! I was gonna make a sweet and sour sauce for them anyway, no way would I be tasting any kind of meat regardless!

Would you take racehorse with a cocktail of dodgy drugs and hormones meatballs?

Read that article on the BBC with the list of withdrawn products.

I can confirm I ate beef in the last fortnight :cool:

Frozen specially selected Aberdeen Angus quarter pounders

I've often bought those 80p lasagnes and shepherds pies from Morrisons. I have no doubt whatsoever that they must contain horse meat as well and it's only a matter of time before I find out (80p ffs!!). What I want to know is, if there are no health risks, why are all these products being thrown out? I liked my 80p ready meals (well, they served a lazy hangover purpose) and that won't change retrospectively, so why can't I have the option to buy an absolute shit load of Findus ready meals? For the price they're currently worth, I could stock up my freezer with a year's worth of weekend hangover meals for about a tenner. Just seems like a huge waste
Good point made :)

Back
Top Bottom