Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leicester East MP found guilty, will appeal

As Webbe indicated her intention to appeal, the Recall procedure cannot kick in.

Vaz still has a lot of clout. Pre-Webbe's court case the local Vazites were busy trying to undermine and oust her because she wasn't anointed by Vaz. Still, could be worse, the other Leicester MPs are Liz Kendall and Jon Ashworth. Something in the water indeed :hmm:
Grenville Janner was a Leicester MP too.

Does a suspended sentence count for the recall?
Apparently, yes:

5.1 Representation of the People Act 1981 Under the Representation of the People Act 1981 (RPA 1981), anyone who is sentenced to more than a year in prison and has been imprisoned is disqualified from membership of the House of Commons. Existing Members’ seats are vacated, and no-one serving more than a year in prison can contest any election to the House of Commons.69 This includes someone who is unlawfully at large when they should be detained. The provisions of the 1981 Act only apply on imprisonment. A suspended sentence of more than one year would not lead to disqualification. However, suspended sentences do apply to the Recall of MPs Act 2015 and a recall petition would be initiated. A sitting MP found guilty of one or more offences and sentenced to more than a year, but on bail pending an appeal would not be disqualified. The disqualification only applies on being detained.

From here: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05089/SN05089.pdf

The post from David Boothroyd near the bottom of this thread is the only place I've seen it explicitly (I can't find reference to suspensed sentences in any Google searches in relation to the Act). :

Apparently, yes:

5.1 Representation of the People Act 1981 Under the Representation of the People Act 1981 (RPA 1981), anyone who is sentenced to more than a year in prison and has been imprisoned is disqualified from membership of the House of Commons. Existing Members’ seats are vacated, and no-one serving more than a year in prison can contest any election to the House of Commons.69 This includes someone who is unlawfully at large when they should be detained. The provisions of the 1981 Act only apply on imprisonment. A suspended sentence of more than one year would not lead to disqualification. However, suspended sentences do apply to the Recall of MPs Act 2015 and a recall petition would be initiated. A sitting MP found guilty of one or more offences and sentenced to more than a year, but on bail pending an appeal would not be disqualified. The disqualification only applies on being detained.

From here: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05089/SN05089.pdf

MPs can be recalled only under certain circumstances:

• If they are convicted in the UK of an offence and sentenced or ordered to be imprisoned or detained and all appeals have been exhausted (and the sentence does not lead to automatic disqualification from being an MP);

No recall petition has been launched, looks like that can only start after the conclusion of the appeal.

Appeal to be heard next March

I just can’t imagine what the grounds for appeal would be. The trial seemed sound and the defendant’s own words were definitive.

Will it just be “don’t you know who I am?” or will she go for a Prince Andrew style attack the witness for low morals (as if that will help).

I just can’t see any grounds.

just can’t imagine what the grounds for appeal would be. The trial seemed sound and the defendant’s own words were definitive.

Will it just be “don’t you know who I am?” or will she go for a Prince Andrew style attack the witness for low morals (as if that will help).

I just can’t see any grounds.

£80k a year + pension acrual. No one else is ever going to employ her on 80k, so it's about trousering as much cash as she can for as long as she can - every month she can drag it out is a wedge off her mortgage.

She is also, obviously, an absolute moon-howler, so she probably thinks she's innocent, but its also about the practicalities.

Back
Top Bottom