Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Heinz beans drops tescos

I confess I am actually unaware of the general cost of baked beans as I don't really buy them.

I am actually shocked to discover that a can of Sainsburys own brand beans are 40p and a can of Heinz at Sainsburys costs £1.20.

That's insane.
This is what they cost at Asda:

1656604141703.png

so 66.666p a tin if you buy 6, which is what I do. But yes for a single tin it's £1.20, same as Sainsbury's.

1656604224801.png
6 cans of Heinz beans in Sainsbury's is £5.

It's all about whether you can afford to buy in bulk, it seems.

I confess I am actually unaware of the general cost of baked beans as I don't really buy them.

I am actually shocked to discover that a can of Sainsburys own brand beans are 40p and a can of Heinz at Sainsburys costs £1.20.

That's insane.
I'm sure there was never that big a price differential before between Sainsbury and Heinz products but I looked today and those prices are true and also the same goes for stuff like spaghetti hoops, macaroni cheese etc. Since when did Heinz get so expensive? Their products are not that great.

stories about such corporations go past their pr teams for approval.
I have seen it happening.
Think about it, these are all manufactured stories. That fall into journalists laps.
They also work very hardon suppressing news stories that show how much damage we are doing to the planet.

The BBC may well have been alerted to the situation by a press release from one business, but they have included comments from both sides in the report.

I'm sure there was never that big a price differential before between Sainsbury and Heinz products but I looked today and those prices are true and also the same goes for stuff like spaghetti hoops, macaroni cheese etc. Since when did Heinz get so expensive? Their products are not that great.

There are frequent bean wars

There was a 10x price difference in the mid-nineties:

I have no idea! I knew Heinz would be a bit more but that's a massive amount. Whether that's just now, I don't know.

I reckon they're coasting on brand name recognition and/or loyalty. Some people are creatures of habit or slaves to branding and will keep buying it even if the quality goes down.

Bit puzzled. I buy Heinz Beans in 4 packs in-store at Sainsbury's Whitechapel. Up to the start of June a pack of four 415g tins cost me £3.00. So 75p a tin. Three weeks ago the 4 pack went up to £3.50, so just under 88p a tin.

I know prices for individual tins can be more (also applied to small 'single portion' tins as opposed to standard ones) but £1.20 seems a lot.

Is there some kind of surcharge for the upwardly mobile :D

I grew up on Heinz so anything else seems like a cheap imitation. That said, I can't even remember when the last time I bought a tin of beans was.

Back
Top Bottom