Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Mason Greenwood has rape charges dropped

Other teams are available
Aye, but when you're talking premier league, championship and to a lesser extent leagues 1 and 2, the "made for TV" culture of modern football is the main problem here, not one single club like United. The bigger "clubs" are no longer clubs but are corporate entities for the benefit of owners and shareholders.

Eta: it could be said that it's always been like that, but I remember Old Trafford when it was different. Sure it was always a capitalist enterprise but there was still a club element to it, where fans weren't just seen as mugs by the likes of Glazers.

Last edited:
Aye, but when you're talking premier league, championship and to a lesser extent leagues 1 and 2, the "made for TV" culture of modern football is the main problem here, not one single club like United. The bigger "clubs" are no longer clubs but are corporate entities for the benefit of owners and shareholders.

Eta: it could be said that it's always been like that, but I remember Old Trafford when it was different. Sure it was always a capitalist enterprise but there was still a club element to it, where fans weren't just seen as mugs by the likes of Glazers.
Back in the day, Man U were known for their cheap tickets. If you look back 40 years, ticket prices for first division clubs weren't very different from those for fourth division clubs. You weren't expected to be rich to want to regularly attend football, and if your local team was top-level, that was kind of just the luck of the draw.

Modern football sucks badly. Pretty much no exceptions. :(

Back in the day, Man U were known for their cheap tickets. If you look back 40 years, ticket prices for first division clubs weren't very different from those for fourth division clubs. You weren't expected to be rich to want to regularly attend football, and if your local team was top-level, that was kind of just the luck of the draw.

When I started going to Old Trafford, it cost 40p to get into the Stretford end or Scoreboard end. I remember moaning when it went up to 50p :eek: Fuck knows what it is now.

Modern football replicates, reproduces and therefore reinforces our economic and social reality. Obscene wealth for the 1% of top clubs, those at the bottom fucked and those in the middle struggling and collapsing towards the bottom as the elite extract more from the game.

The elite clubs aren’t even teams now. They are facsimiles that look like one but are in fact sportswashing projects or simply vessels of accumulation. Devoid of decency, utterly detached from the communities they were once part of and increasingly ‘supported’ by an amorphous global ‘fans’ base watching from afar. Their histories commodified, repackaged and sold back to the ‘fans’ with the soul, solidarities and ordinary people who created that history emptied out.

Bar those who’ve done the only logical thing in response - either fuck the game off entirely or get involved in a supporter owned club - the role of supporter now is to sit down, consume and pay up. Even ‘fan protest’ is commodified and conducted safely within the dominant culture of football - ‘no to the super league, save our expanded champions league’. Yeah, it does ‘suck badly’…..

Last edited:

Old football wasn't much cleaner, both arsenal and grimsby town, for examples, have dubious episodes in their pasts. Sure United, Liverpool and so on have closets full of old skeletons too.

You're not wrong. My season ticket was £35 per match when I got rid of it around when the Glazers came in, which while not cheap was still cheaper than most southern/London clubs. I remember paying £45 for Birmingham away in the early 00s.

You only have to look at the ownership of all the top clubs, let alone a load of middling ones, to see the problem.

This would be the right thing to do as part of the clubs reflection on how they mismanaged the whole situation

If it was my club I'd say they've done nothing wrong and are entitled to keep any transfer fee.

But it's United, so I think that they've severely mismanaged the situation, are almost as culpable as Greenwood himself, and should pay every transfer fee they receive for the next 2 years to charity.

Bury are back at Gigg Lane.
£13 at Broadhurst Park.

I'm over in Rochdale for the next couple of months and will be watching FC tonight. Fancied going to support Bury, particularly as they are now back at Gigg Lane, though unfortunately their home matches overlap with most of the FC home games. Did see them a couple of times last year when they were ground sharing at Radcliffe. Suspect they'll get a couple of promotions over the next year or two, with the crowds behind them and a bit of money. They got a million quid from some Tory election bribe fund, iirc, though I think they'll need decent crowds to pay for the upkeep of the stadium.

Modern football replicates, reproduces and therefore reinforces our economic and social reality. Obscene wealth for the 1% of top clubs, those at the bottom fucked and those in the middle struggling and collapsing towards the bottom as the elite extract more from the game.

The elite clubs aren’t even teams now. They are facsimiles that look like one but are in fact sportswashing projects or simply vessels of accumulation. Devoid of decency, utterly detached from the communities they were once part of and increasingly ‘supported’ by an amorphous global ‘fans’ base watching from afar. Their histories commodified, repackaged and sold back to the ‘fans’ with the soul, solidarities and ordinary people who created that history emptied out.

Bar those who’ve done the only logical thing in response - either fuck the game off entirely or get involved in a supporter owned club - the role of supporter now is to sit down, consume and pay up. Even ‘fan protest’ is commodified and conducted safely within the dominant culture of football - ‘no to the super league, save our expanded champions league’. Yeah, it does ‘suck badly’…..
I'm a residual United fan, no way I could support them or go anywhere near OT since the Glazers (and gee, who'd have thought they could soon have worse owners?). Even pre-Glazers, it was hard to like your own club and they have always stood out as a 'brand', building passive consumers at home and abroad. The oft quoted idea (perhaps apocryphal) of people going to OT, buying stuff in the shop on matchday and then heading home without even seeing the game. Then there was Louis Edwards, with a creative accountancy that would make Man City blush, along with cheating people out of their United shares. But somehow all that feels cleaner than where elite football is at nowadays.

Superimposed on all that you've got the sense of community that goes back to family loyalties, location, even the battle lines with City fans at school. And as always, corporate football leaches off that. As to the green and gold scarves lot, yeah, I know what you mean. However uneasy they will be, I don't get a sense they will be that fussed about becoming an outcrop of the Qatari state. As always though, the ground on which you can 'properly' oppose this shit has shrunk. :(

I'm over in Rochdale for the next couple of months and will be watching FC tonight. Fancied going to support Bury, particularly as they are now back at Gigg Lane, though unfortunately their home matches overlap with most of the FC home games. Did see them a couple of times last year when they were ground sharing at Radcliffe. Suspect they'll get a couple of promotions over the next year or two, with the crowds behind them and a bit of money. They got a million quid from some Tory election bribe fund, iirc, though I think they'll need decent crowds to pay for the upkeep of the stadium.
Heard they got 5,000+ in their opening fixture so if they keep half of that should be fine.

Every time something like the Women’s World Cup or Luton going up makes me think ‘ am I just being an elitist snob* for hating top flight men’s football?’ Something like this comes along…

(I mean obviously I am, but stopped clock and that. )

If it was my club I'd say they've done nothing wrong and are entitled to keep any transfer fee.

But it's United, so I think that they've severely mismanaged the situation, are almost as culpable as Greenwood himself, and should pay every transfer fee they receive for the next 2 years to charity.

Wasn’t aware you followed soccer ball tbh .

Back
Top Bottom