Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horse Meat found in Tesco Beefburgers

Good point made :)
Not really. If people are buying a beef product I think it is reasoable to believe that there is no pork, lamb, or horse in it. In some cases it may be against someone's religion to eat a certain meat.

And it is not as if they can relabel the product, they have tested for horse in beef, so what happens if they relabel it as horse but have failed to identify that it also has pork in it? It is a mess.

Not really. If people are buying a beef product I think it is reasoable to believe that there is no pork, lamb, or horse in it. In some cases it may be against someone's religion to eat a certain meat.

And it is not as if they can relabel the product, they have tested for horse in beef, so what happens if they relabel it as horse but have failed to identify that it also has pork in it? It is a mess.
Oh i agree with you and it is a MESS... Which is probably why they threw it all out instead of relabelling these foods for those with a hangover.
I worry about it now :confused: I wonder what they are not telling us and what am i consuming... Even when i went through my teens as a veggie, i was horrified to discover the meaning of the E numbers/Rennet/and Gelatine... I still wonder what else is hidden in our foods :(

Do i really want to know?

I can imagine how many "religious" non Pork eaters brains will be ticking over this one... i want to giggle about it, but it is actually Not Funny :facepalm:

Why can't they relabel it?

"May contain beef, pork, horse and other protein sources" should cover it.

eta: like Drei says :)

Just like the; May Contain Nuts
labels they put on products...
They should start labeling; may contain other animals

Indeed. I do fondly recall the old No Frills brand at Kwik Save, which used to include a beef and onion pie that had a warning on the side of the packet advising the purchaser that the product didnt contain any meat (it basically consisted of a very cheap pie top and bottom with a thin layer of gravy in the middle).

Not really. If people are buying a beef product I think it is reasoable to believe that there is no pork, lamb, or horse in it.
And if they tell me this 80p lasagna might contain anything, but hey, you've been eating them for years and never complained, do you still want it at a knocked down price, why can't I get stocked up on them?

And if they tell me this 80p lasagna might contain anything, but hey, you've been eating them for years and never complained, do you still want it at a knocked down price, why can't I get stocked up on them?

Meat is traceable and certifiable to make sure it's safe to be eaten. For instance there are some medicines given to sheep (I think) and they can't be slaughtered for (say) 90 days after they've been treated, as humans shouldn't ingest that medicine. There's a chemical called phenylbutazone that horses are sometimes treated with. It's important that human's don't ingest this as it can cause illnesses such as a blood disorder. So if you don't have traceability and documentation for the meat, you don't know if it's safe in this respect.

I think meat is probably more dangerous than other foodstuffs for these reasons, things like CJD etc are possible. I mean, sure you don't want to eat radioactive vegetables or whatever but meat safety is seen as a high priority.

I'm not a food safety expert though. But this is basically why people care.

Meat is traceable and certifiable to make sure it's safe to be eaten. For instance there are some medicines given to sheep (I think) and they can't be slaughtered for (say) 90 days after they've been treated, as humans shouldn't ingest that medicine. There's a chemical called phenylbutazone that horses are sometimes treated with. It's important that human's don't ingest this as it can cause illnesses such as a blood disorder. So if you don't have traceability and documentation for the meat, you don't know if it's safe in this respect.

I think meat is probably more dangerous than other foodstuffs for these reasons, things like CJD etc are possible. I mean, sure you don't want to eat radioactive vegetables or whatever but meat safety is seen as a high priority.

I'm not a food safety expert though. But this is basically why people care.
You've hit the nail on the head there... they say it's safe but disposed of it all, it doesn't add up... if they are sure it's safe then why would they keep finding problems with it and are still investigating where it came from? They didn't even put it into pet food, even our cats and dogs shouldn't eat it (or have they? :hmm:)

Can they test for these chemicals and medicines once it's been processed into food products i wonder?

One positive outcome from the government's 'horse-mare' with the food industry is that they appear, inadvertently, to have appreciated the true nature of globalised capital in the neo-liberal world of 'really existing capitalism'....

Organised criminal gangs operating internationally are suspected of playing a major role in the horsemeat scandal that has seen supermarket shelves cleared of a series of products and triggered concerns about the contamination of the UK's food chain.

Source.

e2a : "triggered":facepalm::D

Even the german dicsount supermarlets are implicated now, you've all heard of my Lidl pony right!

Actually they have.

Cottage pie is 30% discounted as as a result of the bad press. I got one. It was neighmazing.

See what I did there. It did buy one though. Cheap pie is cheap pie. Horse or no horse.

Indeed. I do fondly recall the old No Frills brand at Kwik Save, which used to include a beef and onion pie that had a warning on the side of the packet advising the purchaser that the product didnt contain any meat (it basically consisted of a very cheap pie top and bottom with a thin layer of gravy in the middle).

Wow. Did it say anything about the origins of the gravy?

From the radio I understand this issue is not just a UK one, the EU is asking for random dna checks across the continent.

It said on C4 news (was half watching it) that meat goes through 11 (I think) companies from Romania to here.

You've hit the nail on the head there... they say it's safe but disposed of it all, it doesn't add up... if they are sure it's safe then why would they keep finding problems with it and are still investigating where it came from?
I think this is because it's a government minister saying it's safe, himself nicely safe from the consequences of his being wrong. Meanwhile, the people at the sharp end, whose dicks really are on the chopping block, rightly aren't taking any chances.

Back
Top Bottom