Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hong Kong: what next?

Clarisse is 35 years old, a Masters graduate, tertiary education lecturer in Art and Culture, voluntary worker, community activist, politician, well-loved locally and all round good sort.

She's also apparently a threat to national security and, despite retaking her oath, has been disqualified as a District Councillor for “committing acts that undermine the overall interest of the SAR”.

Have a look at some pictures of her doing this "undermining".

(Edit: Clarisse, not Clarissa.)

Woof

Last edited:
This is an excellent summary of the past, present, and extremely grim future for the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong's electoral system.

The new system has many interconnected parts. Key to all, as Lau suggests, is the vetting mechanism that guards the gate. If the new standards are applied throughout the coming election season, and continue to be, then few of the democracy movement’s most electable politicians will ever be able to make a comeback.

Second tweet unavailable, Jessiedog

Yeah. I dunno why. It was about a fifteen year old schoolgirl charged with 'conspiracy to incite others to commit secession', under the NSL. There was a bail hearing in court (she was in school uniform,) and bail was denied. Her mum wept.

Meanwhile ... Happy National Day everyone.

Grandma Wong has served her one month sentence and has just been released. Gotta love her, she was out on the streets of Causeway Bay again today waving a union flag - just to piss off you know who.

FAmi98AVIAQj4MV

Woof

Yeah. I dunno why. It was about a fifteen year old schoolgirl charged with 'conspiracy to incite others to commit secession', under the NSL. There was a bail hearing in court (she was in school uniform,) and bail was denied. Her mum wept.

Meanwhile ... Happy National Day everyone.

Grandma Wong has served her one month sentence and has just been released. Gotta love her, she was out on the streets of Causeway Bay again today waving a union flag - just to piss off you know who.

FAmi98AVIAQj4MV

Woof
Amazing how a flag which symbolises so much misery in parts of the world can have an entirely different context elsewhere.

I've posted about Hemlock's Blog, "The Big Lychee" before (Posted daily at lunchtime, HK, Mon - Fri, excl' local public holidays).

He's plugged-in, eloquent, irreverent and often amusing.

One of the regular commenters (of which there are but a handful,) who goes by "Knownot", will occasionally render an original poem - often in the style of a well known poet. They are awfully good without exception. I enjoyed this one from September the 3rd, around the time of the arrest of the speech therapists for their wolf/sheep books.

Lam or Sheep

I confess I am
Not fond of Lam
But have a deep
Desire for Sheep.

Lam’s droning words
Can make me ill
But Sheepish words
Give me a thrill.

Though Lam’s dull speech
Can make me sick
Speech therapy
Is such a kick.

When Lam’s away
I darkly creep
And listen to
Seditious Sheep.

While Lam repeats
The morning lesson
Hidden Sheep
Incite secession.
– – – – –
Those fierce Sheep
That harm Hong Kong
Are now in jail
Where they belong.

But Lam’s still doing
Very well
And when she’s stewing
What a smell!

:)

Woof

A classic post from Hemlock on 10th Sept 2021.

And, from the comments, a ditty from Knownot referencing people being arrested under the NSL for giving govt. authorised chocolates (M&M 40g) to political prisoners held without bail under the NSL.

The Chocolate Revolt

A modern legend tells
Of women kept in cells.

Still proud, those women pent
Without make-up or scent,
Despising bolts and locks
They armed themselves with chocs.

And every prison guard
Who looked so tough and hard
Was trembling and afraid
And sent a call for aid.

The men and dogs that came
Were frightened just the same.
How were the women beaten?
Their weapons had been eaten.

The legend cruelly mocks
The guards afraid of chocs.
Of course, it’s just a tale,
A comedy in jail.

You don’t think such a farce
Could really come to pass?

Woof

A very good read from Timothy McLaughlin in The Atlantic. Exploring the influence and impact of the Beijing-controlled Ta Kung Pao newspaper in Hong Kong.

Woof

10/10/2021.

Happy National Day.

1626271687797-png.278500

I'm reminded of this year's Wimbledon 2021, three months ago.

Unfortunately, this year in Hong Kong ...

Woof

New requirements for all schools to have a weekly national flag raising ceremony, where the national anthem will be sung.

FBZuAQ1VQAQkGtC

Woof

It's almost schizophrenic how one minute the CCP is still trying to woo Taiwan with One-Country-Two-Systems (as the Taiwanese look on in horror at how that turned out in Hong Kong) ...

FBimPj2WQAAy2Po

... And the next minute comes over all ...

FBjwn8yUYAA2wVE

And all this just a couple of days after Victor Gao (an English speaking, Beijing-based, CCP-thinktank mouthpiece,) says that 10% of Taiwan people are of Japanese descent and that these are secessionists and once the CCP is in charge, they must swear alleigence to the CCP or face being forced out of Taiwan.

It's diplomacy with full-on multiple personality characteristics.

Woof

It's almost schizophrenic how one minute the CCP is still trying to woo Taiwan with One-Country-Two-Systems (as the Taiwanese look on in horror at how that turned out in Hong Kong) ...

FBimPj2WQAAy2Po

... And the next minute comes over all ...

FBjwn8yUYAA2wVE

And all this just a couple of days after Victor Gao (an English speaking, Beijing-based, CCP-thinktank mouthpiece,) says that 10% of Taiwan people are of Japanese descent and that these are secessionists and once the CCP is in charge, they must swear alleigence to the CCP or face being forced out of Taiwan.

It's diplomacy with full-on multiple personality characteristics.

Woof
always good to see you posting :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom