Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Ex-Hood dude Richard Adams has a new one out under his Declining Winter moniker.

On first listen I'm inclined to think it could be the best so far....

Delicate fusion of ambient, melancholy folk, post-rock with some jazzy touches and dubby bass.

Mmmmm - it's just my cup of tea. Here's the best track IMO:

Last edited:
Altin Gun's Ask is out today. Fun, if fairly 'safe' psychedelia.

The main release tho is an instant classic, a work of pure genius that everyone should own. Yes, it's a 'new' Hawkwind album. But an archival one from when they were, y'know, good. In fact they were astounding and amazing. The Charisma years when they were kinda punky and new wave and Bob had taken the lead. Remixed version of the three albums and a bunch of extras (mostly already released) as well as four CD's of live stuff (and a couple of DVD's). Leicester '77 is a brilliant gig.

I had the ACR album on last night and it's fantastic- leans into everything I like about ACR (apart from Ballad of ACR which turns into terrible jazz half way through, but that's the closing track so i can just stop the album there).

Pretty much a who's who of trendy London jazz at the moment, but don't hold that against them. So much going on here. I'm on my 3rd or 4th listen and it sounds like a different album each time.

Quirky drone/field recording
Amber Meulenijzer - Saab fanfare
In October 2022 Musica Impulscentrum invited Amber Meulenijzer to make a composition in collaboration with the local fanfare bands of Pelt, a small municipality in the green east of Belgium. These fanfare bands are deeply rooted in Belgian culture. Even in the tiniest villages one finds at least one or several of these ensembles.

The result of this confluence: a procession, a slow paced moving composition for brass instruments, performed both live and played back through twelve speakers mounted on top of an old Saab 900.

Last edited:
Huh, I sort of thought Elvis Depressedly was over as a project, but apparently not:

Not listened to it yet, but I loved a lot of Depressedelica once it grew on me a bit.
eta: blimey, apparently it came out with accompanying VHS, that is a proper bit of format fetishism there. Sold out of the VHS now though.

I think I'm finding it marginally more accessible than the JPEG solo lps.... I mean it is still pretty out there. It is more a live thing for me.

Huh, I sort of thought Elvis Depressedly was over as a project, but apparently not:

Not listened to it yet, but I loved a lot of Depressedelica once it grew on me a bit.
eta: blimey, apparently it came out with accompanying VHS, that is a proper bit of format fetishism there. Sold out of the VHS now though.

Listening to it now, fuck me there is a lot of autotune on this one. Going to try and persist with it, but I wish there was considerably less autotune.

Wednesday's new one isn't quite as good as I'd hoped, although it's not bad:

Mike Paradinas has a new, more ambient one out too. I'm not sure of the date reference in the title:

Yeah, I love Wednesday's last album and the track I listened to off this one was definitely more challenging :hmm: Have yet to do the whole album though, so we'll see.

Yeah, I love Wednesday's last album and the track I listened to off this one was definitely more challenging :hmm: Have yet to do the whole album though, so we'll see.
I'd not heard of them until a couple of weeks ago, and they're not the easiest band name to search for. Not as shoegazey as I might like.

Back
Top Bottom