Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Maybe that was the wrong way to put it, but what I was getting at was that speculation about the final death toll and associated cover ups is creating a space for CT nonsense to breed.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that, a quick google will show you CTers don't need any help brewing up nonsense.

By it's very nature identifying bodies after a fire is a grim slow affair, add in the complications of the dangerous nature of working in the tower right now, the possibility that there were people living there unofficially and other unpleasant factors, ( possible illegal immigrants, granting visa access to families abroad to formally identify bodies) and this is going to drag out for a bit.

You have to remember theres no way for the Tories to legally repress the figures. The British media are probably the most aggressive in the world combined with a rickety government and leaky civil service, this death toll can't be repressed for long (if it even is, which it probably isnt)

Last edited:
I just had a look at his Twitter feed. I wished I hadn't. Retweeting similar stuff from Tommy Robinson. How is this lying piece of shit allowed to get away with this?

The world is an unfair place, where assholes have a disproportion amount of power. Sorry.

Don't get the obsession over the number of dead, or buy into any kind of theory that this is being deliberately suppressed (why? To what ends?). Don't think it leads to anywhere useful. The actual number of dead is 'too many', can we just stick to this?

Maybe that was the wrong way to put it, but what I was getting at was that speculation about the final death toll and associated cover ups is creating a space for CT nonsense to breed.

Rightly or wrongly it's all a symptom people not trusting their governments.

Or possibly plain cluelessness (though that might be being generous to them)
It is genuinely staggering quite how small some London Boroughs have actually shrunk the (local) state. My own borough (albeit a titchy one by GL standards) has an annual expenditure of £150m. (In a borough where the total estimated public sector expenditure is approx £2bn.) These neoliberal, consolidator entities hardly exist.

Don't get the obsession over the number of dead, or buy into any kind of theory that this is being deliberately suppressed (why? To what ends?). Don't think it leads to anywhere useful. The actual number of dead is 'too many', can we just stick to this?
Agreeing with you. Any number over zero is far too many.

Revealed, how fears about cut-price cladding were ignored: Manufacturers warned deathly panels should never be fitted above 32ft... but contractors made 'disturbing' decision to install them anyway

Fears on cut-price cladding were ignored on Grenfell Tower | Daily Mail Online

The block was 220ft. :hmm:

ETA, from the same link:

A major blaze inside Grenfell Tower in 2010 was successfully contained, suggesting the building was safe before the flammable cladding was added;

Last edited:
A whole new strand of madness here.

[ETA: I originally posted the video up - but posters below have suggested it may be best not to have done, so removed]

A witness claiming that Muslims think that it was a revenge attack for London Bridge & Manchester. Let's hope that narrative doesn't take hold. :(

Last edited:
I suggest you wind your neck in, read the words I typed, consider what I said, and then write out your apology.

If that's beyond you, then I suggest you simply stroll on and don't bother dirtying up the thread with anything further on this particular side-issue.

You are right, sorry. I should have limited my tirade to the manic posters who used your post to get on their high hobby horses and make attacks on me, again. I see your wording was not an attack.

Can't listen to this at the moment, so unclear on details.

Apparently they're being told they will be declared "intentionally homeless" if they refuse relocation outside of London?

Disgusting. I am cynical that the commitments to house people will be watered down over time, and worried that they won't apply to people who weren't officially resident or not a full tenant or leaseholder, especially for single people (as all the government promises have mentioned families). I think its going to require a great deal of organisation and solidarity to make this not the case. Locally, Northumberland council and a Newcastle-based property firm have gone on record as "offering" homes in the North East to K&C council for the fire victims - completely counterproductive imo.

Horrendous, contemptuous, and utterly disorganised treatment :(:mad:

Hammond has done two things today: said that it's banned, and also said that the government's response to Lakanal was sufficient. I dunno why he'd go out and buy a sword to fall on, but he's on it regardless.

Inflammable building materials don't have the BS (British Standard). Given that the cuts had made inspections of the material on site less likely to happen, one can believe that the building contractors would have been able to get away with installing illegal material. Blame goes all the way back up the chain to the politicians.

You are right, sorry. I should have limited my tirade to the manic posters who used your post to get on their high hobby horses and make attacks on me, again. I see your wording was not an attack.
They are not attacks, they are warnings to be careful of your links and where they come from. Will you take any of that on board?? Will you learn?

Back
Top Bottom