Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

I have no doubt that the council, housing assoc and contractors bear a great deal of responsibility for this, and should swing for it: however, when this is revealed, we need to ensure the blame doesn’t remain with these low hanging fruits, as while they may have cut corners in ways which resulted in a massive loss of life, they did so in a regulatory and funding environment that encourages cutting corners, and only generally punishes bad practice after rare and catastrophic failures such as this.

I'm pleased to note that thus far the fingers are pointing firmly towards the government. Make sure they stay pointing that way, even once the more local failures start to be revealed.

she couldn't, really. No-one from that tower will have anything but rage towards her today.
it would have been better for her if she'd gone to a stage-managed photo op in a hospital, if she had to go at all, now she'll have alienated everyone in north kensington and a lot of people further afield because of her callous and stupid half-arsed appearance

won't stop there :(

No, I rather doubt it will either - number of people living there, minus the number we can see who got out, plus the ferocity and geography of the fire, and I'm afraid we'll get to 100+ in no time at all.

200 wouldn't surprise me.

If people wish to make a financial donation can I recommend the British Red Cross - they are on scene and will be so for the long term.

I am surprised she didn't arrive in an armoured car with a full team of tooled up bodyguards - seeing as pretty much everyone from the firemen & coppers, to the victims of this tragedy & the local residents would like to see her blood on the street

She'd have been slated whatever she did, to be fair. Either trying to capitalise on the incident or hiding like a coward.

A bit of a strange question, but this talk about the refurbishment being for insulation purposes and therefore to reduce residents' bills - I read just now that it has a communal heating system. How does this work in terms of billing? Specifically: is there a direct/nearly direct relationship between energy use and the consumer bills, or is the landlord pocketing the energy savings from this work?

it would have been better for her if she'd gone to a stage-managed photo op in a hospital, if she had to go at all, now she'll have alienated everyone in north kensington and a lot of people further afield because of her callous and stupid half-arsed appearance
This. I can't imagine what her chief of staff was thinking, especially given her total disconnect during the GE campaign, oh....... wait a minute her chief of staff is Gavin Barwell :facepalm:

A bit of a strange question, but this talk about the refurbishment being for insulation purposes and therefore to reduce residents' bills - I read just now that it has a communal heating system. How does this work in terms of billing? Specifically: is there a direct/nearly direct relationship between energy use and the consumer bills, or is the landlord pocketing the energy savings from this work?

If it's like my place, you have a heat exchanger in place of a boiler, and you're metered on that (presumably on the amount of hot water flowing through it). Tenants will pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom