Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good news as carbon levels drop

Human civilisation is still emitting large quantities of greenhouses gases into the atmosphere. It's a resounding refutation of the liberal notion that climate change is a thing that can be fixed by ordinary people changing their consumption habits without addressing the roles of state and capital. Of course they'll point to this and proclaim it a vindication of their eco-miserablist crap, and I consider it highly likely that it will also be hijacked by those who want to use austerity-type methods to make the bulk of humanity pay for the environmental damage of a tiny group of wealthy industrialists.

In short: lecturing middle-class hippie types can go fuck themselves.

Were emissions low during the Second World War? I would have thought they would have been quite high what with all that toing and froing.

With the same number of cows too! In fact in my experience people are eating more of the buggers.
The abstract of the journal article linked makes clear that it is talking about carbon dioxide emissions. That's not the first type of emission that springs to mind when I think of Cows.

This is an opportune moment for a green new deal, primarily as there are going to be a growing number of unemployed people and private businesses won't have the work, though the state will. Open door for it really

It's also a potentially dangerous time if state projects mean road building or other non green infrastructure work

I'm sure the increased industrial output, technological advancement, the massive oil powered war machines and big ole bangs added a bit.

Of course. No argument there. I was just thinking of an article I read a while ago:

As European colonizers spread throughout North America and wiped out Native Americans, they unwittingly changed the world’s climate.

That’s according to a study published in the journal Quaternary Science Reviews, which posits that the genocide of millions of Native Americans helped cause a dip in global temperatures.

Last edited:
Of course. No argument there. I was just thinking of an article I read a while ago:

I vaguely remember reading that somewhere before. Thanks for sharing. Similar situation in that the deaths weren't the end of the story and what followed lead to a huge increase in emissions. Worth bearing in my mind when people talk about reducing population being a simple solution to the climate crisis.

I vaguely remember reading that somewhere before. Thanks for sharing. Similar situation in that the deaths weren't the end of the story and what followed lead to a huge increase in emissions. Worth bearing in my mind when people talk about reducing population being a simple solution to the climate crisis.

Of course. I'm not suggesting depopulation as a solution to climate change.

Went to Hayling Island last week and you could see in good detail the buildings in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. The fact that no aeroplanes went overhead and out at sea there were around 15 large cruise liners and tankers just moored up probably accounted for such clear skies. Us going to have a look in a 3ltr diesel car probably didn't help though...

Its great news for the kids. We've exchanged environmental catastrophe for financial catastrophe. From having no future to no future worth having. :thumbs:

Joking aside. I've seen nothing from any government to suggest it won't just be back to business as usual as quick as possible.

With the same number of cows too! In fact in my experience people are eating more of the buggers.
Imagine how much more it could fall with less cows being bread for consumption!
I know you just wanted to justify your job n all

Imagine how much more it could fall with less cows being bread for consumption!
I know you just wanted to justify your job n all

Fewer :p

Today at Elstead Common two pick-up trucks drove on with trailers and emptied 20 cows on to the common. Just dumped ‘em and drove off. If they can do that with cows I see no reason why I can’t do the same with my knackered sofa...

Back
Top Bottom