Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2005

I'm pretty sure that that news about Glasto taking a break in 2006 was a tactical confirmation (after all most speculation has for quite a while suggested that there'd ba break in 2006, although some sources insisted that 2007 would see a break instead). It can't have done any harm with councillors in terms of the 2005 licence application, for it to become known that 2006 would see a break.

But one immediate effect I reckon, will be that pressure for 2005 tickets (and for 2007 ones too, when that comes around) will go through the roof even more than was already anticipated, irrespective of the alleged£125= cost! :eek:

It's going to be hell around about April 1** time, folks!!! :(

**Exact ticket sale date yet to be confirmed

William of Walworth said:
**Exact ticket sale date yet to be confirmed

And lo! Ticket D-Day appears to be already confirmed as :

SUNDAY, APRIL 3rd

(we kind of already suspected that the Sunday nearest April 1 would be ticket sale date, but it's nice to know for definite I suppose. Don't go out on that day, Glasto ticket hopefuls!)

Confirmation can be found in the Press Association version of the 'No Glasto in 2006' story, kindly posted by Ms T in another thread on the main forum :

Press Association said:
From PA:

There will be no Glastonbury festival next year, organiser Michael Eavis
revealed today.
Eavis said he had decided to give himself and residents of the Somerset
village a break.
The 69-year-old told Time Out magazine: "The village has gradually got used
to the festival, which has been a long, gradual process. But to give ourselves
and the village a bit of a breather, we're taking next year off."
His decision means tickets will be in even more demand than usual when they go on sale on Sunday April 3. :eek:
Telephone booking lines will open on a Sunday for the first time to avoid last
year's chaotic scenes when hundreds of thousands of fans were unable to get
through.
"Last year we had trouble with the exchange and BT told us that on Sundays
the exchange is doing absolutely nothing all day long," Eavis explained.
Tickets will cost #125 - up from last year's #112 - and will be limited to two
per person.
In a bid to foil touts and avoid tickets being sold for extortionate sums on
eBay, photo ID will be required.
Eavis said he planned to give the music festival a break every four years.
"It keeps up the excitement. You take a year off and then you're so excited
to get back into it again. We avoid any chance of it becoming mundane," he
said.
This year's line-up is a closely guarded secret.
Eavis dropped a hint by describing the mystery headline act as "the best
songwriters in the world today".

The ticket price looks as if it has gone up to £125= (confirmed in the PA story above) and yes, thats quite a jump from last year's £112=

It's a lot all right.

But it's my main annual holiday so I'm saying fuckit .... :rolleyes: at self ....

:eek: Just registered this new development properly .... :(
Yeah, I raised an eyebrow to that.

I guess that means either a passport or a (new) driving license. Neither of which I'd be too happy about taking to Glasto.

So I assume there will be photos on the tickets as well - So how are they going to get our pictures? Will we have to send in a passport photo?

The potential for fuckups of the highest order is huge if that's the case :(

Well, students have the library card and I have my driving licence these days.

There are other photocard oppertunities....

Ho hum.... <goes away from thread......>

Will come back to it in round april time....

pennimania said:
I say that every January :D not going I mean

I actually mean it this year. :(

Oh hello! :D

looks like I've (actually M. eavis) has changed mr mania's mind! the no 2006 thing I mean!

so if we can get tix we'll come - and this time I'm working on the no kids option :cool: :D

well we got an email confirming our booking this morning. the details - ie what we're doing and where - are still up in the air.

i can relax now :)

Dubversion said:
well we got an email confirming our booking this morning. the details - ie what we're doing and where - are still up in the air.

i can relax now :)

and I'm relaxing with him :) <--- smug smilie

woo-hoo :D :D

I *might* be working on my work stall at Glastonbury this year.... :cool:

Only shitter is I'd have to drive but for free entry sure I could put up with that....not conifrmed yet but I got my fingers crossed...

Lucky man -- make sure they let you have some of the evenings off for cider bus centred shenanians with other Urbanites ... :)

I'm now hearing on efestivals that talk of photo-ID tickets is premature. The technology/organisation is not yet in place to make tickets in time that incorporate your photo (there might be the risk of this idea being develped for 2007 though :( ).

What they will almost certainly require this year, is for you to show your own photo-ID as you enter the site with your ticket (that will have your name printed on it).

<william wallace mode>They may take my photo-id but they'll never take my freedom!</>

What they will almost certainly require this year, is for you to show your own photo-ID as you enter the site with your ticket (that will have your name printed on it).
The only photo ID I have is my passport, and I'm fucked if I'm taking that to Glasto...

I'm now hearing on efestivals that talk of photo-ID tickets is premature. The technology/organisation is not yet in place to make tickets in time that incorporate your photo (there might be the risk of this idea being develped for 2007 though :( ).

I'm not unduly surprised. The system with laminates is that photos are sent in sometime in May, in plenty of time for well organised procedures to run like oiled clockwork.

So there's then a scramble during the set-up as the various chieftains bribe each other to borrow a working laminator, divvy up the blanks and so on. The bribes are, natch, promises of different coloured wristbands and invites to parties. So pointlessly standing around waiting on someone to come back with the key for a portacabin that's got the laminator in is the first gentle introduction to confirm that this festie will be just as good as the last. :eek:

It's all very Glasto, and like most such things, works well because it relies on who you know, not what you know. But it can be a bit fraught :D

That's only a few thousand id's, but that's the experience they have to draw on. How it could translate into 150,000 is a mystery.

newbie said:
I'm not unduly surprised. The system with laminates is that photos are sent in sometime in May, in plenty of time for well organised procedures to run like oiled clockwork.

So there's then a scramble during the set-up as the various chieftains bribe each other to borrow a working laminator, divvy up the blanks and so on. The bribes are, natch, promises of different coloured wristbands and invites to parties. So pointlessly standing around waiting on someone to come back with the key for a portacabin that's got the laminator in is the first gentle introduction to confirm that this festie will be just as good as the last. :eek:

It's all very Glasto, and like most such things, works well because it relies on who you know, not what you know. But it can be a bit fraught :D

That's only a few thousand id's, but that's the experience they have to draw on. How it could translate into 150,000 is a mystery.

This is interestingly chaotic!! :D

So y'all looking forward to seeing Kylie make her Glasto debut then? :D

Other rumoured acts: Keane, Coldplay and The Who :eek:

I don't think I'll be making this Glastonbury, not because of the ropey line-up but because the Inland Revenue has taken all my money :(

But I might have a panic when the tickets go on sale, I don't know...

There are websites where you can rustle up your own photo-ID cheaply. Others will know the links.

beesonthewhatnow said:
But will they accept them I wonder?

Well it would have your face and (correct) name on, so if you had some other backup (paper) id with address, eg gas bill or whatever, then I doubt your 18 year old Oxfam voulnbteer on the gate would bother too much ...

William of Walworth does not hold himself legally responsible for any information given that subsequently turns out to be incorrect :D

Back
Top Bottom