Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2005

Hollis said:
Actually.. can someone remind me.. at the time the tickets go on sale.. how much do we know about which bands are going to be there?

I'm getting fatalistic about this.

Keep an eye out here, but mark the weekend of 1/2/3 April down in your book. Not yet settled, but those dates are so far the informed word for ticket sales.

Licence hearing is next Monday, the 17th (see my long post a bit earlier on, no. 129) and after that we may have more information .....

See you there Hollis!!! :D :)

Mendip District Council Regulatory Board are holding the licence hearing for Glastonbury 2005 tomorrow night (Monday 17th January)

Will post updates ... :)

Few problems anticipated in a licence being granted, though :cool:

I went down to Somerset for a meeting last week, in Street. I picked up the local free paper and there was an article in there saying the biggest most vocal anti Glasto protester had passed away of old cancer.

definitely taking a year off this year. just booked tickets for primavera sound in barcelona. it's at the end of may, so we get to kick off the festival season a little earlier than normal. no idea who's playing yet, but that's not really the point is it?
:)

pinkmonkey said:
I went down to Somerset for a meeting last week, in Street. I picked up the local free paper and there was an article in there saying the biggest most vocal anti Glasto protester had passed away of old age.

That wasn't Anne Goode was it???? (She was the lunatic fundaMENTAList Christian with a fifteen foot cricifix in her front garden, on a hillside in Pilton overlooking the site) :confused:

Ah bumblecrap, I was hoping that they'd have 2007 off* because I'm thinking of going travelling that year and so that way I wouldn't miss a festival. Now if I'm away at the wrong time I won't go to a Glasto for 2 years :(

Anyway, in the meantime, just for those who are interested, there are 156 days until Glasto 2005 :cool:

*I know everything suggested a 2006 fallow year but a fool can dream.

Oh, and I'm currently in talks with my brain about the possibility of designing something useful for this year. It's only in the early stages, and of course once my brain has come through I've got an entirely seperate challenge of pursuading my arse to get itself into gear (which it is notoriously unwilling to do) to actually constructing the device, but it has the potential to be quite nifty (and laughable)

See, who needs lineup rumours to keep people interested....? ;)

William of Walworth said:
That wasn't Anne Goode was it???? (She was the lunatic fundaMENTAList Christian with a fifteen foot cricifix in her front garden, on a hillside in Pilton overlooking the site) :confused:

Yup that's the one. :)

Here you go William, I've found it and uploaded it to the web for you.

Anne Goode

Odd picture in that article though :confused: is the newspaper's graphic designer a Glastonbury fan?

From the above link :

Licence hearing coverage on efestivals said:
9:35pm : The debate appears to be coming round to the vote proper. there are 13 councillors on the board. With the wrangling over noise issues the PEL may not be resolved tonight

:eek:

Not over yet though ....

More ...

Licence hearing coverage on eFestivals said:
9:46 : Hours and volumes to be decided by a subgroup at a later date...which surely means the vote will go for the application now

Credit should go to Neil Greenway, editor of efestivals, for reporting the above ...

You beat me to it cw ...

9:50 : Result of voting now in - application granted! But as below further discussions about noise at a later date by the subgroup.

Not sure I like that sting in the tail. Will keep people posted if I find out more...

You beat me to it cw ...

Not sure I like that sting in the tail. Will keep people posted if I find out more...

Yeah, could stiff the whole weekend. Am really surpised there were complaints this year. I mean stuff was happening all night, but it was soooo quiet

corporate whore said:
Just heard on the BBC that 2006 is OFF.

Dunno about this year yet..

125 quid this year! :eek: Think I'll give it a miss...

SOURCES PLEASE!!! (particularly about that £125= thing -- I'm off to BBC now to see if I can find connfirmation of exact wording of that 'no festie in 2006' story -- I don't disbelieve it, but I'd like more detail)

And could Italy bound Unsound beach goers please REFRAIN from any temptation to point and jeer at Glasto goers as if they're some kind of inferior species .... I wish you all a good holiday, why not wish us one?

corporate whore said:
Yeah, could stiff the whole weekend. Am really surpised there were complaints this year. I mean stuff was happening all night, but it was soooo quiet

Apparantly the authorities had some grounds at least for having Melvin Benn (officially the licence holder) prosecuted for breach of noise conditions :(

And could Italy bound Unsound beach goers please REFRAIN from any temptation to point and jeer at Glasto goers as if they're some kind of inferior species .... I wish you all a good holiday, why not wish us one?

That's a bit touchy, I wasn't pointing and jeering at all. I hope you all have a great time. (And I won't be going to Italy if I don't get my lazy arse into gear :oops: )

SOURCES PLEASE!!! (particularly about that £125= thing -- I'm off to BBC now to see if I can find connfirmation of exact wording of that 'no festie in 2006' story -- I don't disbelieve it, but I'd like more detail)

Heard both little snippets on 6music earlier today

More hopeful news :

9:55 : Speaking to Neil [Greenway] at the meeting, Melvin Benn was confident of a good result at the subgroup - this meeting should be taking professional advice regards the noise levels/monitoring (so less anecdotal local input) which should be in the festivals favour and the application as stands be sufficient.

From the BBC

BBC said:
: Monday, 17 January, 2005, 21:01 GMT

Glastonbury to take break in 2006

Glastonbury Festival will take a break in 2006
Michael Eavis is to rest the Glastonbury Festival in 2006.
Mr Eavis told the BBC, during a meeting to apply for a licence for this year's festival, that the event would be taking a break.

The festival was last rested in 2001 over safety fears. Overcrowding led to the festival being fined and the new 'super-fence' being built.

At a meeting of Mendip District Council Mr Eavis said they wanted to give the village a break from the disruption.

He added that he wanted to "stand back and get new ideas" for 2007.

"Every fifth year since 1987 we've taken it off - It's like a fallow year in farming terms."

"It's a good chance for the cows, the farm, the farm workers and villagers [to recover].

"So they come back the year after the fallow year with renewed energy, strength and imagination."

Back
Top Bottom