Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantasy Premier League 2021-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally had my details updated (had to hijack an old account of my daughter's from 2017 and change my name)
Am now registered for the H2H and the Classic League

Already a curveball with the horrible injury to Fofana. I'm still about 6 days away from the last minute recalibration of my current Cunning Plan though (trad.)

I'm pretty happy with the number of different teams I can come up with at these price points.

I dont think my final team for gw1 will take shape until I've had a chance to see what happens in this weekends friendlies and the community shield.

Lots of people in the twitter/youtube world of fantasy football seem to have gone off Watkins since the Ings transfer. Which isnt surprising but I might be tempted to plough on regardless.

I'm pretty happy with the number of different teams I can come up with at these price points.

I dont think my final team for gw1 will take shape until I've had a chance to see what happens in this weekends friendlies and the community shield.

Lots of people in the twitter/youtube world of fantasy football seem to have gone off Watkins since the Ings transfer. Which isnt surprising but I might be tempted to plough on regardless.
I'm having him, he's decent value, has a year of the Prem under his belt. I know his mate's left but I rate him and this year I've gone three mid-price but decent up front to allow me two top price midfielders who actually play as strikers.

I went with Ings but I might swap out for Watkins.

I'm watching an Aston Villa friendly and Watkins has gone off after looking like he might have pulled something. Buendia has also been absent from recent friendlies.

Also did Toney not play in Brentfords last friendly?

Throw Man Citys community shield performance into the mix, and the extent to which Everton got thumped by Man Utd in their final friendly, and my plans are currently in quite a mess.

Yes I think if I was trying to give conservative commentary of what I saw, he felt something and left the pitch immediately.

I have been experimenting with a 4-5-1 formation in case the season starts with me feeling robbed of forward options. I'm not enjoying the experiment much.

The most fun I had tinkering with my team in recent weeks was when I spent over a week thinking I was going to start without Fernandes. That sure did unlock some interesting combinations due to the funds it left available. But now I have chickened out of starting without Fernandes, and its a bit of a struggle choosing where to compromise. I've also placed too much emphasis on pre-season.

Never mind, I almost always end up wildcarding within a few weeks of the seasons start anyway, but I would really like to stretch that out a bit longer this time.

OK I did manage to find a hilarious combination of players in that shape and on budget. Where the compromise is mostly on the useless bench, a bench that does not seem at all sensible for these pandemic times. But hey maybe this is the year I should have some fun by doing something like this, and Livramento did grab an assist within minutes of coming on in their last friendly.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 16.09.jpg

Last edited:
And to be clear, dont expect me to start with that team! Maybe I will start with something that could turn into that team in 2 or 3 moves though.

I feel like I should be drawing attention to the H2H and new extra league by alerting specific people.

But I'm not properly on top of who is missing, So for now I'll just say hello Fez909 are you joining us this season? And I invite others to pick someone you've realised is not present yet and give them a shout.

Lukaku going to Chelsea, competitively priced, gives me a headache and potentially disrupts my medium price forward line plan
I believe a common approach seems to be to start with an expensive midfielder like Fernandes, then imagining a shuffle of that value to a forward slot once things have settled down a bit and Chelseas fixtures turn.

I'm keeping an open mind about whether I need to do that. Starting with Jota + Fernandes and then switching them to Son + Sancho if viable is currently on my mind. I'll leave thinking about Kane and Lukaku complications till later, when it will also be clearer which cheaper midfield options seem sensible.

I believe a common approach seems to be to start with an expensive midfielder like Fernandes, then imagining a shuffle of that value to a forward slot once things have settled down a bit and Chelseas fixtures turn.

I'm keeping an open mind about whether I need to do that. Starting with Jota + Fernandes and then switching them to Son + Sancho if viable is currently on my mind. I'll leave thinking about Kane and Lukaku complications till later, when it will also be clearer which cheaper midfield options seem sensible.
I'm aiming to start with Salah, Son and Jota already.

Fundamental structure debate for me is whether to try to include Salah, Fernandes and Son.

It can be done, but I can't work out if the concessions in other areas of the team make it worth it. Would like to find/work out some kind of tool that allows me to easily see the cost/benefit of different combos of players. I've sort of done it a bit, but would need to put some time in to looking at all the different sites to see what everyone has.

As ever, it's also just a case of wanting a couple of extra slots in each position, 'cause I can't have all the players I want :( :( :(

As ever, it's also just a case of wanting a couple of extra slots in each position, 'cause I can't have all the players I want :( :( :(
Looking on the bright side of that, I hope that after a few weeks of the season there are a plethora of viable choices for everyone to choose from. There is always going to be something of a template in this game, but I find it so much more fun in seasons where the common template only takes up a small core of our teams, and there is much variety between teams in all the other slots.

Lukakus price and Kanes destination are some of the unknowns at the moment, along with things with what Leeds and Brentford will be like this season.

Right now I am tempted to throw caution to the wind by being very greedy with my budget, leaving myself with a bench full of 4.0 defenders and a non-playing 4.5 striker. This is a very silly idea given that covid positive tests are still part of the picture, but there may be just enough 4.0 defender options that will play for the first few weeks that I might give it a go for a laugh.

With the above in mind, here is what my team looks like if I go full steam with that approach at the start.

I wont be freely sharing my team ahead of the deadline every week, but I've decided that I will do this at least a few times this season. Just keep in mind that I reserve the right to change it again before the deadline. Oh and the vice captain choice shown here is not my final choice.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 21.27.jpg

And that team possibility only emerged for me due to pre-season injuries or lingering doubts about recoveries from injuries. eg Toney, Watkins, Robertson, Calvert-Lewin. The manager made positive noises about Toney since then, so its just a question of whether to fully believe him.

Looking on the bright side of that, I hope that after a few weeks of the season there are a plethora of viable choices for everyone to choose from. There is always going to be something of a template in this game, but I find it so much more fun in seasons where the common template only takes up a small core of our teams, and there is much variety between teams in all the other slots.

Lukakus price and Kanes destination are some of the unknowns at the moment, along with things with what Leeds and Brentford will be like this season.

Right now I am tempted to throw caution to the wind by being very greedy with my budget, leaving myself with a bench full of 4.0 defenders and a non-playing 4.5 striker. This is a very silly idea given that covid positive tests are still part of the picture, but there may be just enough 4.0 defender options that will play for the first few weeks that I might give it a go for a laugh.

I'm going relatively template at the start of the season, and will start to mix it up once the plethora makes itself a bit more known ;)

That said, currently don't have Fernandes. I don't know why I'm so resistant to him this time round, given he was top scorer for last season and I had him in my squad for a large portion of it :confused:

We'll see how things stand come 6pm tomorrow, of course... ;)

Meanwhile, Lukaku and Kane will certainly be interesting, as you say. Also interested to see how Sancho does, both from an FPL but also IRL point of view.

I've seen quite a few people espousing the "all your money in your starting IX" approach. It totally goes against my natural instinct, but despite that I can see the value in it.

Yeah I was going to avoid Fernandes but I decided to start with him and then move when the opportunity arises. Either move his value to the forward slot for Kane or Lukaku, or move him to Sancho and spread the freed up money around. If man utds fixtures were different in the opening weeks, I'd probably not even be starting with Fernandes.

I probably will fiddle with that team I posted earlier, in order to have a player in Friday nights game.

I joined H2H, finally settled on my team, decided not to have one CPFC player
it is too stressful I think and hope Cavani will have a good season, it was him or Ings
very excited and pretty sure I might do another change by the deadline....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom