Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Premier league Civil War

Not that City are really owned by a nation state, but the days when blokes owning a chain of shops could run successful football clubs are lost in the mists of time.

The top clubs at the time thought they'd cornered the market with the formation of the PL, not realising that in making it all about the money more than ever before, bigger and better 'players' would move in.

Football has become embroiled in a business war. The self-entitled clubs in the PL and other top European leagues can't afford to let new challengers in as missing out means losing tens upon tens of millions. For US owners in particular, with their model of taking out more than they invest in a club, this is unacceptable.
I don’t think it is just those clubs (or really any US owned clubs) who have an issue with what City have done so to put this as US owners against nation states running football
Clubs is misleading. Many fans of clubs outside the premier league don’t like what Man City are doing (nor other clubs who have similarly been so financially dominant).

I don’t think it is just those clubs (or really any US owned clubs) who have an issue with what City have done so to put this as US owners against nation states running football
Clubs is misleading. Many fans of clubs outside the premier league don’t like what Man City are doing (nor other clubs who have similarly been so financially dominant).
What are City supposed to have done? Most people you ask this question don't seem to know.

yup, there is absolutely no difference between a nation state and the bloke who owned a dozen butchers shops.

City fans really are delusional.
yes you are absolutely right, the businessmen at Manchester United Weresmaller and more incompetent, but they were still businessmen. Even though I didn't like them I had to admit they run their business efficiently. but now there is a business, Manchester city, which run their business so much more efficiently they are the 6th highest spender in 5 years, and the 4th in 10 years. And guess who is still at the top? United "we never bought success" :D :D :D LOL

City are challenging a rule which has not yet come into effect. and which is an amendment to a rule they previously accepted. Any club has the right to do this within the PL's own constitution. If succesful the challenge will see things revert to how they were before February.

Talk of PL 'civil war' is pure hyperbole.
thanks for that information. Shop

Look it up. It's pointless commenting on something if you don't know what the issue even is.
My word. Last changes I was really aware of were the Newcastle United ones. Can you refer me to a relevant description of how these February ones differ, oh wise one?

Loads of points there which I largely agree with and raise more points
1. Sportswashing and all this stuff about a tyrannical state with crap human rights. The USA has used sports and culture to wash since forever. I hate both for the record.
2. Lower league football. Tbh all this winning had made it less fun to follow Man City from the days when they were better known as Typical City. I've taken a lot more interest in the Irish League over the past few years and even in that twelve team league it's dominated by the four big Belfast teams (including Linfield that gets a handy paycheck from the IFA for Windsor Park) and new money Larne who got a big wad from the guy who founded Purple Bricks. So teams like Dungannon Swifts have to battle relegation year in year out and hope for a purple year where they might scrape into Europe and get beat over two legs from a team from the Faroe Islands. Capital just has a way of creating and elite that is hard to break into.
And as I said in another post, for somebody to break into the elite somebody else has to lose out, and this means losing even more money than ever before. US-owned clubs, with their eye on short-term profit, find it hard to compete with those owners who, coming from a different culture entirely, tend to invest strategically over the long term.

this bloke highlights what the ESL is really about

We all know the Premier league is killing European football, and the ESL is the only way old money clubs can survive the Premier league.

My word. Last changes I was really aware of were the Newcastle United ones. Can you refer me to a relevant description of how these February ones differ, oh wise one?
It wasn't meant aggressively. I just can't see the point of trying to comment on an issue whose details you admit to being unaware of, especially when all the info is out there.

What are City supposed to have done? Most people you ask this question don't seem to know.
One thing was in a quote in my original post.

It has been alleged that City concealed payments made by their owner Sheikh Mansour through third parties and disguised them as sponsorship revenue, which in itself was inflated.

this would make it even worse though?

It's all fucking meaningless, obscene amounts of money the wankers and (worse) their agents make. A lot of the improvements in the game since Greaves' time come down to today's training methods rather than players being more motivated by earning huge amounts. If players can't be motivated to play the best they can unless they're paid more than say £100,000 a year then fuck them, they should go and do something else.
to be honest, the players who mainly start off as working-class lads, I don't really object to getting there market value out of the trough. I don't see why we should always blame the players, when it is the Premier league, champions league, sky sports, and the way everything is driven by advertising revenue, and billionaires shear the sheep, like myself, who follow the sport.

Some sports economics guy the other day was explaining how the FFP rules FORCE clubs to increase ticket prices irrationally.

It wasn't meant aggressively.

:D

I just can't see the point of trying to comment on an issue whose details you admit to being unaware of, especially when all the info is out there.

"all the info is out there" :D again. It's a fucking thread on a bulletin board talking about fucking football. Unless people know the details of the February change in Premier League rules they shouldn't comment?

"Life's too short to learn German" as a Dutch mate once said to me.

This seems to be the Donald Trump defence. Perhaps look at the 115 charges against them.
What I meant was that few people ever seem to be able to describe exactly what these 'charges' are.

Not only that, but even those who do know love parroting the '115,' while aware that in reality it's a handful of claims as to rule-breaking repeated over a number of seasons. It probably boils down to about 4-5 different categories of rule.

Aside from that, they are rules that didn't exist when other clubs were dominating, and could spend whatever they wanted. Rules which were introduced to prevent new challengers ever gaining a significant foothold.

One thing was in a quote in my original post.
"It has been alleged that City concealed payments made by their owner Sheikh Mansour through third parties and disguised them as sponsorship revenue, which in itself was inflated. "
which if true is international money fraud by Citigroup, Etihad, and several other businesses, which would also be involved with tax fraud. Considering how Sheikh Mansour has run the rest of the business, is going to have the best accountants who can guide him how best to navigate those laws, and so prove the Premier league's case wrong. In a court of law. If it does come to that.

What I meant was that few people ever seem to be able to describe exactly what these 'charges' are.

Not only that, but even those who do know love parroting the '115,' while aware that in reality it's a handful of claims as to rule-breaking repeated over a number of seasons. It probably boils down to about 4-5 different categories of rule.

Aside from that, they are rules that didn't exist when other clubs were dominating, and could spend whatever they wanted. Rules which were introduced to prevent new challengers ever gaining a significant foothold.
Yes, as that BBC article makes clear, they are muktiple charges under 5 different categories but it doesn’t really make it any better to claim that there are only 5 rules they have not complied with.

Yes, as that BBC article makes clear, they are muktiple charges under 5 different categories but it doesn’t really make it any better to claim that there are only 5 rules they have not complied with.
Nothing has been proven yet as the commission that will consider the evidence has not met. Until then everything is pure speculation, no matter how much City may be deemed guilty in the (always reliable and just) court of public opinion.

Yes, but they couldn't do anything other than try to circumvent the rules so aggressively that they had to make a whole new rule to cover it. They had no choice, don't you understand.

Because of Blackburn Rovers.
Any club in the same position would try to circumvent rules designed to limit their growth. If they didn't there would be something amiss.

Trying to circumvent rules is normal business practice, and football is primarily a business now, whether we like it or not. Those clubs trying to stem City's growth, or that of any other club, are acting purely out of financial motives.

This seems to be the Donald Trump defence. Perhaps look at the 115 charges against them.
which if true is international money fraud by Citigroup, Etihad, and several other businesses, which would also be involved with tax fraud. Considering how Sheikh Mansour has run the rest of the business, is going to have the best accountants who can guide him how best to navigate those laws, and so prove the Premier league's case wrong. In a court of law. If it does come to that. And if Etihad company books showed international money fraud, do you think they would be becoming a public company where people can look at them books?

Any club in the same position would try to circumvent rules designed to limit their growth. If they didn't there would be something amiss.

Trying to circumvent rules is normal business practice, and football is primarily a business now, whether we like it or not. Those clubs trying to stem City's growth, or that of any other club, are acting purely out of financial motives.

Are you, by any chance, a Manchester City supporter? :)

Pep Guardiola summed it up when the hundred and 15 charges were announced "as Julius Caesar said, there are no friends, there are no Enemies, only interests (economic)".
Did he say the (economic) bit? How did he do the parantheses? I bet he did a wink and a cheeky little smile.

which if true is international money fraud by Citigroup, Etihad, and several other businesses, which would also be involved with tax fraud. Considering how Sheikh Mansour has run the rest of the business, is going to have the best accountants who can guide him how best to navigate those laws, and so prove the Premier league's case wrong. In a court of law. If it does come to that. And if Etihad company books showed international money fraud, do you think they would be becoming a public company where people can look at them books?
The Premier League have no ability to charge anyone for tax fraud. That would be a matter for UK or other governments to consider. Just because you think you might have good accountants doesn’t mean you haven’t committed tax fraud. Many countries have general anti-avoidance rules to get around such schemes if they so wish. Many public companies and their employees have been found guilty of fraud so being a public company or going public is no indicator that a company has not committed fraudulent behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom