Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FA cup replays scrapped

This is the Premier League and FA imposing a change without any sanction from the Football League or the local FA councils. An FA cup replay can be the lifeline a non-league or FL club needs to stave off the tax man or other creditor.

This is terrible news for all lower league clubs and English football in general and it sounds like the manner in which the decision has been taken is scandalous.

I hope lots more clubs follow Tranmere's lead and publicly condemn this. Not sure it'd happen but it'd be good if all EFL clubs threaten to boycott next year's competition unless the FA reverse their decision.

This is the Premier League and FA imposing a change without any sanction from the Football League or the local FA councils. An FA cup replay can be the lifeline a non-league or FL club needs to stave off the tax man or other creditor.
It's true. I was on the board of a non league club about 15 years ago. Every round the club got through, it got FA money. The gate is split, so if you play a bigger club, the club does well out of it. Getting on match of the day, the club does very well. Take it to a replay and the club is rewarded, win or lose. As you said, it can be a real lifeline.

Getting rid of replays can only benefit the top/premier league clubs. It stinks.

Oh FFS. I mean, Cov knocked us out anyway because they're our bogey team this season, but at least we got a second chance. This is going to hurt smaller teams.

How quick Frank is to bite the hand that feeds him.

Klopp and Guardiola, what a pair of cunts. As I've seen pointed out elsewhere, in the FA Trophy the rule was the two teams could agree to settle the tie in 90 mins which suited clubs at a similar level, but left a money-spinning replay opportunity when it was a minnow versus a bigger club.

Is this a good thing? The argument against is less revenue for smaller clubs if they can hold a draw against larger opponents. The argument for is to stop clashing with premier league games (and presumably over-exerting players in the process).

I'm undecided tbh. The idea of the replay seems a bit old hat. I think the last one in the final was in 1993. Nobody likes a shootout but maybe its just neater.

Klopp and Guardiola, what a pair of cunts. As I've seen pointed out elsewhere, in the FA Trophy the rule was the two teams could agree to settle the tie in 90 mins which suited clubs at a similar level, but left a money-spinning replay opportunity when it was a minnow versus a bigger club.
Klopp pisses me off with how he only recently started taking cups seriously. He'd put out scratch teams in the past. There was one player called Chirivella who only ever seemed to play in cup games. And of course it's the big cheese managers pushing for it. He won't even be here next season so it doesn't affect him.

For the big Premier League clubs the FA cup can be a nuisance compared to the European Cup competitions they get into where the money return is even greater. However for every other club in the football pyramid it's a lifeline and a chance for their players to show off their skills when the matches get chosen to be shown on TV.

It's true. I was on the board of a non league club about 15 years ago. Every round the club got through, it got FA money. The gate is split, so if you play a bigger club, the club does well out of it. Getting on match of the day, the club does very well. Take it to a replay and the club is rewarded, win or lose. As you said, it can be a real lifeline.

Getting rid of replays can only benefit the top/premier league clubs. It stinks.
Ah, Rochdal2 FC United 3! :)

Back
Top Bottom