Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

African Cup of Nations 2024

Algeria out! Biggest scalp of the group stage though Tunisia (ranked just above them on FIFA as the third best side in Africa) could also depart tonight.
Tonight will be tense especially to see if Côte d'Ivoire scrape through as the fourth best team that finished third in their groups. I think Avram Grant's inept Zambia will do the job for them.

Was watching the Fulham v Newcastle game (good game, good game) but remembered Nigeria v Cameroon is on bbc3 :thumbs:

Me too, very entertaining game, different circumstances I'd have wanted Senegal to win but Ivory Coast earned that :thumbs:

Cape Verde v S Africa is on BBC3 tonight at 8.
Rooting for the Blue Sharks.
With nearly all the big guns out, it's anyone's tournament now.

I just had a look at the FIFA rankings and here's where the remaining teams stand in continental and (world) rankings:

Nigeria 4 (31)
Mali 8 (46)
Côte d'Ivoire 10 (52)
South Africa 14 (68)
Cape Verde 15 (72)
DR Congo 16 (73)

Mali V Cote D'ivoire has gone to extra time after the hosts scored a last minute equaliser.

Yes, some great saves. He had a crib sheet on his water bottle to help him guess which way to dive in the shoot out.
true, but thats pretty standard these days. the three first penalties to his right weren't great and all at a height which made them comfortable to save, but to hold his nerve and guess right each time was still impressive.

I'm with Nigeria now that the Blue Sharks forgot how to take penalties. Seems of the four teams left they have tried to win games rather than try not to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom