Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

Aston Martin Facing a Nightmare of Events Ahead of the 2022 Season

At the beginning of the season, many where who thought that Aston Martin, formerly known as Racing Point, are going to be the team to fear on the grid. A line-up made of four-time World Champion, Sebastian Vettel and owner of the team, Lawrence Stroll’s son, Lance Stroll, seemed to complement well the brand new car. During 2020, despite the many challenges that Covid-19 presented, Racing Point managed to achieve some great results, but many were who argued that the car was illegal, due to some similar components to that of a Mercedes. Then they confirmed that they will be rebranding to Aston Martin, and for those who watch Netflix’s Original, Drive to Survive, they saw the excitement around the team’s head quarters, for the new car and the new season. Lawrence Stroll showed great determination to obtain great results and the 2021 pre-season testing in Bahrain showed a lot of potential for the team to rival against the likes of McLaren and Alpine. But the season started, and things did not go as planned and as we eagerly wait for the 2022 season, not many positive news surround Aston Martin.

After 12 years of service, Otmar Szafnauer have parted ways with the British racing team, and so far we still have not heard anything official of who might replace the Team Principal. There have been rumours about the Romanian joining rivals Alpine, and if this happens, it will be a huge blow for Aston Martin. Not only, but they are risking of also losing Technical Head, Andrew Green. He was appointed this position in 2021, after Aston Martin took on a technical management restructure, to give the team more depth and improve development of the team with the new rebranding. Losing such figures will surely send the team a few steps back, as they seek to replace them with people who are fit for the job and who know Aston Martin inside out, so that they can surely understand what the team needs. And this is no easy feat for a dramatic sport like Formula One. This new structure was announced in June 2021, with Szafnauer saying that, “Everbody at Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team aims to win Grand Prix and World Championships, and this new and improved structure we have created mirrors that of the most successful teams in Formula One today.” With Green Head of the structure, Tom McCullough was Performance Director while Luca Furbatto, was appointed as Engineering Director from Alfa Romeo. Meanwhile, they were still on the hunt for a Technical Director, and as of today there have been no reports of any new members joining the team, leaving more gaps.

Then recently, it has also been announced that BWT will also be leaving Aston Martin, who has been an essential sponsor ever since they were called Force India and were under a different ownership too. This is what forced the team to create the iconic pink car which captured the eyes of many compared to others on the grid, and with the change of colour to metallic green, the sponsors were left unhappy. So with losing two key figures in the team, they also lost a great amount of money from a sponsor which will leave less space for improvements on the car. It has also been reported that another partner has officially left Aston Martin, that is power supply company, UPS Direct. UPS have got involved with Aston Martin back in 2005, when the car’s power supply was failing frequently between two or three races. They had built a system dedicated for the team, which have been said by Aston Martin themselves to have improved the car’s performance. UPS has also been a sponsor to other Formula One team, Ferrari. It has been announced that after nine years, the two entities have ended the partnership too.

If it’s true, it bothers me that Mercedes could insist on getting someone sacked in this way. This is, surely, exactly the sort of thing all the other teams would be justified in protesting in the strongest possible terms. If it’s true of course.

I can't believe Hamilton would contemplate stepping back from the top of F1 for a year
Who would replace Lewis
I tend to agree, I think (and hope as he is still my pick for my F1 bets) he will return in 2022. But he doesn't need too, he is a very rich young man with his fingers in many pies which he has said he wants to put more time into. The more interesting question for me is who would replace him if he walks?

It is secret that Toto would want Pierre Gasly, but Gasly is a Red Bull driver who has a contract until 2023 iirc. While many drivers have a clause in their contract that would allow them to leave "if given an option to drive for a team higher up in the constructors championship" I'm not sure he would have such a clause, as he has been with Red Bull through their young driver program, so I think they would/could have some way of stopping that. For sure Red Bull wouldn't want to see Gasly in a Mercedes racing against Verstappen.

My money would be on Esteban Ocon. While he is contracted to Alpine (Renault) he is still a Mercedes drivers I believe. If that is the case, for sure Mercedes will have something in his contract that allows them to recall him and I'm sure he would rather be in a Mercedes than an Alpine. If Ocon were to be poached Alpine do have Oscar Piastri on their books, I think he was Formula 3 champion in 2020 and Formula 2 champion in 2021, so not a bad replacement.

Who would I want to see in a Mercedes if Lewis did walk away, well that would be young Lando Norris. I think he is a very fast driver and really has the will to win. George and Lando racing eachother in the same car would really push them both and I'd like to see that. Can't see it happening for 2022 but I'd be hopeful for the future.

If it’s true, it bothers me that Mercedes could insist on getting someone sacked in this way. This is, surely, exactly the sort of thing all the other teams would be justified in protesting in the strongest possible terms. If it’s true of course.
If its true? Mercedes say they haven't ask for Michael Masi to be sacked, then it would be the FIA who have decided that he isn't up to the job. It is the FIA who are holding a review into what happened in Abu Dhabi and while I haven't said anything really on what happened at that race, anyone who knows the rules understands he made a total fuck up of the whole situation. You can't let some cars by and not all car following a safety car, the rules are the rules. His decision didn't just mess with one race result he changed the course of the whole championship and brought the FIA into disrepute. There has been a worldwide controversy.

We now have new leadership at the top of the FIA and they will want to put a lid on this and getting rid of Masi would do that. I don't know that they have done that, no-one knows as the FIA haven't released the results of their review. Lets not forget that Abu Dhabi wasn't the only race last season where Michael Masi caused controversy, it happened on a number of occasions. I can never remember Charlie Whiting making so many perceived mistakes during his time, yes he made some controversial decisions but nowhere near that of Masi in his short tenure.

Put Max in Hamilton's car and see how he is at least as good as Hamilton. Not going to happen of course. But it would be interesting to see.

Realistically I don't see Hamilton leaving yet. He still has some racing and winning to do.

I can't believe Hamilton would contemplate stepping back from the top of F1 for a year - if he is to add his 8th title it has to be this year.
I'm sure the posturing to glean concessions from the FIA is done with full commitment but I think he'll be racing
Well done F1. If you can't outrace Max Lewis, don't worry, we'll invent some mickey mouse rules to hamstring him. :rolleyes:

I don’t believe it’s true. It’s nothing Merc would do and they’ve explicitly denied it. The article only quotes one “senior F1 source” and that could be anyone, including Christian Horner creating mischief.

Last edited:
The FIA expects to complete its review by February 3rd

The formal investigative side of the inquiry began on Monday and the inquiry team will aim to interview all those involved in the controversy, including race director Michael Masi, stewards, drivers and team representatives. Peter Bayer, the FIA's secretary general of motor sport, will head up the process. Mohammed Ben Sulayem, who was elected FIA president on December 17, is taking a personal involvement in the review and dealing with it as a matter of urgency from the governing body's headquarters in Geneva. F1's governing body has been in a transitional phase with Jean Todt's term as president ending just five days after the Abu Dhabi finale.

An FIA spokesperson said the investigation will be 'thorough, objective and transparent'. The governing body expects to complete the process in time for the next World Motor Sport Council meeting on February 3 at the latest. The FIA committed to an "analysis and clarification exercise" three days after the Abu Dhabi finale following discussions with Mercedes. Although Mercedes withdrew their intent to appeal against the race outcome, they remained hugely angered and dismayed about the handling of the Safety Car period by Masi after a chain of events which saw Lewis Hamilton lose the world title on the final lap to Max Verstappen.

I think the press are driving this as they need something to print. Lewis hasn't said anything at all publicly so all the talk of him walking away has not come from him. The inquiry only started Monday so I can't see the FIA sacking Masi already, although for making such a mess of things I'd have sacked him if I was his boss. May be he has realised that he isn't up to the job and has resigned. Anyway we will hear soon enough.

Hammy and Mercedes need to keep the pressure on the FIA.

In effect, they're saying it needs to be sorted out before the new season. Don't sweep it under the carpet. Delay equals prevarication, etc.

I could easily see the FIA running their investigation Sir Humphrey style: "in due course", "over the fullness of time", "taking widespread soundings", "setting up a multi-disciplinary committee to oversee", "looking at the whole infrastructure of decision-making", "determining policy priorities" and "considering the impact on related sporting codes".

There's only one question: did Mr Fix fuck up?

If yes, what does the FIA propose to do about it?

I would have thought a couple of hours, tops.

it hard to pressure the FIA when the circus is shortly going to be starting up again

to make an impact the 7 time world champion walking away or taking a sebatical would have the biggest interest worldwide
outside of us motorsports fans

saying that also put a point across that if he comes back its redbull with a 2 time world champion and maybe a constructors to their name

walking away would make the better impact but has lewis lost the need for the 8th championship

Just hope that nothing like that messy resolution to the race and championship can happen again, something should come out of the Abu Dhabi post mortem.
The FIA know its always eventually about the bottom line, the cost of F1 is authorised by The Board of Management at the Mercedes-Benz AG - they are a business and need to justify investments.

Fresh information on Red Bull Porsche deal

VW (VAG Group) is planning to enter Formula 1 from 2026 with the Audi and Porsche brands, and Red Bull Racing sees itself as the first option for partnership, serious talks have started which will see one of the brands, most likely Porsche, enter F1 as engine partner with Red Bull. While Formula 1 is currently undergoing a winter break after what was probably the most memorable season of all time, at least on the track, things are heating up behind the scenes in the pinnacle of motorsport. Just three days after the finale in Abu Dhabi, the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council met in Paris to discuss the future of Formula One. The focus was on the new engine regulations that will come into force in 2026.

VW decision to be made in March
The Volkswagen Group, with its Porsche and Audi brands, has been flirting with becoming an engine supplier to the racing series for some time. The man who is driving the prestigious Formula 1 project at the world’s largest car manufacturer is Fritz Enzinger, an Austrian. The 65-year-old Styrian serves as Volkswagen’s Group Motorsport Director and enjoys an extremely high reputation in the industry. Enzinger experienced BMW’s achievements in Formula 1 at first hand in positions of responsibility and then led Porsche back to the top of the world as head of the motorsport department.

However, the board of directors has the final say. According to information uncovered, the final decision will be made in March and at the moment it looks as if the VW Group will enter Formula 1 at least with Audi or Porsche. But an entry of both brands is still possible although Porsche remains the favourite. The fact that the pinnacle is more attractive than ever for potential newcomers is due to the new engine regulations. The core remains a 1.6-litre turbo engine with six cylinders. The electric power is to increase, but the so-called MGU-H will be dropped. This engine component converts exhaust gases into electrical energy, but its development and production are enormously complex and costly. In addition, there is to be a separate cost ceiling for the units. The implementation of the two points mentioned were central demands of the VW group.

More news on Audi

Mumtalakat Holding Company, Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund is willing to sell its stake in the car brand and its Formula 1 team to Audi, who need the thumbs up from Volkswagen to complete the deal. Commenting on Audi’s plans in motorsport, Oliver Hoffmann, a member of German car giant’s Board of Management, said they are looking to be creative. “We want to surprise with our motorsport projects,” he told reporters. The car-maker is currently competing at the Dakar rally, where they have now won two stages, the most recent of which coming from Mattias Ekstrom.

Half of the current F1 grid are out of contract at the end of 2022
Who will keep their seat and who will be out of F1?

Sergio Pérez

He is for sure driving to keep his seat at Red Bull but who would/could replace him? He drove well in the last 7 races, where he finished in the top 4 in all the races that he finished anyway. There are no great alternatives within the Red Bull camp, other than Pierre Gasly, but the team appear not to want to move him up again for some reason. If young Yuki Tsunoda beats Gasly then maybe he'd get a chance but I'm not sure he'll beat him.
Predicted outcome: contract extension

Carlos Sainz

I think he'll get a one year contract extension for sure and early in the season if he performs as well as he did in 2021. Most commentators seemed to think he was a stop gap, but he outperformed Charles Leclerc and ultimately scored more points than the man many felt he’d be playing second fiddle to.

Fernando Alonso

I think this depends more on Alpine's performance than on Fernando. If they come up with a great car following the regulation changes, then for sure he'll stay with them. He had a strong 2021 campaign in what was not really a great car and he seemed to be having a good time. If the French team shows genuine signs of progress and makes a step forward, even if a small one, I think it may well be enough to convince him to give them one more year to deliver the goods.

Pierre Gasly

Now here is an interesting one. Gasly has title aspirations and he has no chance in an AlphaTauri and Red Bull appear to not want to promote him. Given his age, availability and how impressive he’s been in the last two years, he’ll undoubtedly be at the very top of the list for any teams looking for a driver for 2023. But what seats will be avaliable? If Lewis wins his 8th title he may decide to call it a day and Toto rates Gasly so may well call him. Sebastian Vettel may well retire at the end of this season, but Aston Martin finished one place below AlphaTauri in 2021, I guess we will have to see how they perform this year.
Predicted outcome: I think he'll move if there is a seat available

Yuki Tsunoda

I think he was rookie of the years but did make a number of mistakes. I think with Honda leaving he will have to perform well to keep his seat, but again Red Bull don't have anyone coming through. I think he showed glimpses of his enormous potential. Marko is not a patient ma, and won’t hesitate to drop him if he doesn't move forward a lot, he needs to run well to keep his seat.

Sebastian Vettel

I think he may well retire unless Aston Martin come up with a great car of he can move out of the lower end of the midfield. Vettel has stated he’s not in the sport to drive in the midfield and the team finished in only 7th place in the constuctors, not where he want to be. He drove better in 2021 than he did in 2020 but only finished 1 place above Lance Stroll. If there is someone else like Gasly available then I think the team will pick them over him.
Predicted outcome: I think he'll retire

Nicholas Latifi

While he hasn't really performed he hasn't had the car. I think he would need to be really bad for the team to drop him as both he and his dad bring loads of money to the team. He closed the gap to George Russell last year so appears to be improving. The problem for Williams is there isn't really anyone else who they could bring in who would contribute as much money.
Predicted outcome: He'll stay at Williams

Alex Albon

I'm not sure he will be the one to decide his future, while Williams have said they think they want him longterm, Red Bull still have an option on him and may well have to exercise it if Gasly leaves or Yuki underperforms. I can't see them making him Verstappen’s team-mate again but AlphaTauri may need him as they don't have anyone coming through the ranks.
Predicted outcome: Staying with Williams unless Red Bull exercise their option

Guanyu Zhou

This is a different one as I don't know that much about him but he is highly regarded as one of the most impressive drivers in the junior categories. Many feel he was chosen by Alfa Romeo because of the money he brings with him, so he has to prove himself quickly in my view as there are a couple of other drivers looking for that seat. For example Oscar Piastri is rated a better driver than him and also young Theo Pourchaire who is a member of the Sauber academy. The only reason he didn't get the drive this season was "lack of experience" according to Team Principal Frederic Vassuer (but he may not be in that post for much longer).
Predicted outcome: Unless he shows himself as a brilliant driver and Theo Pourchaire has a really bad year in F2 I think he may well just have this year

Mick Schumacher

Another driver who may not have an option. Other than Ferrari where could he go? It doesn't look like there will be a seat free at Ferrari for 2023, unless Leclerc or Sainz make a dramatic move, which looks unlikely, I don't think he will have much choice other than to stay where he is at Haas.
Predicted outcome: Remain with Haas

It will be interesting to look back at this post when we know the drivers for 2023, anyone else fancy predicting the furure?

For some reason the latest story of the result of the enquiry into the last race of season

Will only be revelled on the first Friday practise of this year’s opening session is making me feel sadness for the sport moving forward

More FIA bullshite

Last edited:

Team chief Budkowski leaves Alpine F1 Team

As part of its latest management shake-up, the Entsone-based Alpine F1 Team has announced that it has parted ways with its executive director Marcin Budkowski. Just a week after Aston Martin parted company with team boss Otmar Szafnauer, the Anglo-French team Alpine has announced the exit of its executive director Marcin Budkowski. The 44-year-old Warsaw-born engineer joined the Enstone-based outfit back in 2018 and effectively split the team leadership role with racing director Davide Brivio last season, both reporting to CEO Laurent Rossi.

Rossi commented: “I would like to thank Marcin Budkowski for his commitment and contribution to the team’s results over the last four years. The team is fully focused on getting the car ready for the first race in Bahrain and deliver a step beyond in performance.” Commenting on his departure from Alpine, Budkowski added: “I truly enjoyed being part of the leadership team of Renault then Alpine F1 Team, working with such a talented and dedicated group of people. I will be watching the team’s progress fondly in the seasons to come.”

After completing his studies, Budkowski started his career in motorsport in 2001 as an aerodynamicist for Prost GP. The Polish engineer subsequently moved to Ferrari, working for the Italian team between 2002 and 2007 in a period that saw the team winning multiple championships. Seeking a new challenge, he then joined McLaren in 2007, working in a variety of aerodynamic roles both at the factory and trackside, notably during the 2008 title winning year, before becoming head of aerodynamics in 2012. His seven years at McLaren ended in 2014, after which he became Formula 1’s technical and sporting coordinator for the FIA, subsequently becoming head of the Formula One technical department in 2017. He then left the Paris-based organisation in order to join the then Reanult team.

For some reason the latest story of the result of the enquiry into the last race of season

Will only be revelled on the first Friday practise of this year’s opening session is making me feel sadness for the sport moving forward

More FIA bullshite
Is that right? The first test is Barcelona, Spain - February 23-25. All the stuff I've read from the FIA says they want to report to the World Motor Sport Council meeting on February 3, but hope to finalise their report before then. From what you say above they are going to hold back almost 3 weeks before releasing the results, I think it will have been well leaked by then.

According to quotes said to have come from Mohammed Ben Sulayem the FIAs new boss, The inquire will be run by Peter Bayer, the FIA's secretary general of motor sport, it started Monday the 10th Jan and will report to the World Motor Sport Council meeting on February 3.

I hope the story you quoted is wrong, as if it is correct it really is bullshit.

Is that right? The first test is Barcelona, Spain - February 23-25. All the stuff I've read from the FIA says they want to report to the World Motor Sport Council meeting on February 3, but hope to finalise their report before then. From what you say above they are going to hold back almost 3 weeks before releasing the results, I think it will have been well leaked by then.

According to quotes said to have come from Mohammed Ben Sulayem the FIAs new boss, The inquire will be run by Peter Bayer, the FIA's secretary general of motor sport, it started Monday the 10th Jan and will report to the World Motor Sport Council meeting on February 3.

I hope the story you quoted is wrong, as if it is correct it really is bullshit.

The Graun is also reporting. It is bullshit if true.

or just add a spin for drive to series season 5 first episode

would not be surprised if Lewis call's it a day after that

more gamesmanship after the dogiest call since Schumacher keep his title against Hill in Australia

Last edited:

Aston Martin announces Mike Krack as team principal

Aston Martin Formula 1 team has announced on Friday that Mike Krack, former BMW Motorsport boss, as the replacement to their former team principal Otmar Szafnauer. The new announcement followed another one earlier where the team set February 10 as the date to launch their 2022 F1 car the AMR22. With Marcin Budkowski leaving Alpine, rumors were circulating that he would be heading to Aston Martin with Otmar Sazafnauer replacing him at the French outfit. The announcement of Krack now settles matters at least from Aston Martin’s side with Szafnauer’s future in F1 yet to be clear.

Aston Martin press release:
Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team is delighted to announce that Mike Krack has been appointed Team Principal. Prior to joining Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team, Mike Krack was leading BMW’s global motorsport operation, having worked for the Munich-based company since 2014. In that role he was in charge of BMW’s Formula E, GT and IMSA programmes, as well as its planned expansion into the new LMDh formula for IMSA & WEC, including the Le Mans 24 Hours. Prior to that Mike worked in a senior motorsport role for Porsche. He has worked for a decade in Formula One before, for Sauber then BMW-Sauber.

Mike Krack, Team Principal, Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team, said: “It is a thrill and an honour to have been appointed to the position of Team Principal of Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team, and I am very grateful to Lawrence [Stroll] and Martin [Whitmarsh] for giving me such a fantastic opportunity. Aston Martin is one of the greatest automotive brands in the world, and to have been asked to play a leading role in delivering the on-track Formula One success that such an illustrious name so richly deserves is a challenge that I plan to embrace with energy and enthusiasm. I have been working in motorsport for over 20 years, and worked in Formula One with Seb Vettel in 2006 and 2007 when I was a BMW-Sauber engineer and he was the team’s test driver. I have huge respect for his speed and ability, and it will be fantastic to be reunited with him. Lance Stroll is a seriously fast and talented driver, too, with 100 Grands Prix starts to his name, and I am very much looking forward to working closely with him. Team Silverstone has always impressed me. It is full of talented people and real racers. That racer’s culture and values are what is required to succeed in motorsport, I know that and my new colleagues at Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team know it, too. We will work incredibly hard. We want to win. Together, we will.”

Martin Whitmarsh, Group Chief Executive Officer, Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team, said: “Mike Krack is exactly the right kind of dynamic and modern Team Principal who, working with our other senior leaders under Lawrence’s [Stroll] and my overall direction, as well as with our ever-growing staff of skilled and committed employees, will deliver the Formula One World Championship success that we at Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team are so determined to achieve. Having worked in very senior motorsport positions at both BMW and Porsche, backed by an engineering background in Formula One with Sauber, Mike possesses a blend of experience and expertise that makes him the ideal choice for us. “He works well with drivers, having prioritised that aspect of his role at BMW in recent years, and also with engineers, since he speaks their language.”

Lawrence Stroll, Chairman, Aston Martin Lagonda and Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team, said: “Winning in Formula One is all about bringing together the best efforts of all the principal players drivers, engineers, mechanics, everyone and Mike is perfectly placed to do just that. We are hiring brilliant new people every week. Our new factory build is coming along very well. We have a fantastic roster of superb sponsor-partners. We are about to embark on year two of our five-year plan, the objective of which is to win Formula One World Championships. All the ingredients we require are coming together. Mike will play a central and leading role, reporting to Martin Whitmarsh and leading our technical and operational functions, our collective aim being to fulfil those lofty ambitions. We are on our way.”

Aston Martin Formula 1 team has announced on Friday that Mike Krack, former BMW Motorsport boss, as the replacement to their former team principal Otmar Szafnauer.The new announcement followed another one earlier where the team set February 10 as the date to launch their 2022 F1 car the AMR22.

Back
Top Bottom