Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Election Window Posters: How's your neighbourhood?

Yeah it's the gardens/windows that I'm thinking of

It's way harder/more pointless to nail your colours to the mast when your house is set so far back from the road, eh (I'm not even taking the piss).

I live in Brighton Pavillion, where Caroline Lucas is fairly likely to get re-elected again.
I can't forgive her for her betrayal of the refuse workers strike and I ummed and ahhed about whether to vote for/stick a poster up for the (mega :eek: ) young candidate Labour have eventually slung in, while they focus on swinging Kemptown where the Greens stood down (fair play), JUST to vote for a Corbyn led Labour party.

I live in a traditionally strong Labour ward, but with Greens all around the outskirts. There are no posters at all directly around me but lots of 're-elect Caroline Lucas for Greens' type posters as you move out.

The one house that keeps catching our eye though, is the one I pass with my daughter on the way to work/school, where they have about have five Green posters, along with one Labour one, in their front window.

We can't decide if there's just lots of separate people of voting age etc living in the house (I don't think there are :hmm: ) or if it's just a very literal expression of some indecision within one family, of their politics, represented by a well thought out, proportional split between posters - that being please DO vote Green but it's also kind of ok if you go for Labour, if not. :D

Anyway, yeah - you'd have no idea what anyones intentions are round here. When they're not Green, they're not saying.

Biggest surprise for me was Chelsea. I drove through yesterday and saw a fair few Labour posters, including the biggest Labour board I've seen yet, in a garden on Gunter Grove. Chelsea FFS!

There seem to be fewer around than previous elections, but iirc you'd get posters thru your letterbox as part of the leaflet. This hasn't happened.

Norwich South, so almost every house in the leafy, middle class, latte quaffing streets around is flying the flag for Labour.

I have two siblings in East - one at the top end, one at the bottom. Both of them surprised to find they were in East. It's a bloody silly constituency now they've taken Easton out
Three siblings! Stapleton, Kingswood and St Anne's, all somehow in Bristol east

Three siblings! Stapleton, Kingswood and St Anne's, all somehow in Bristol east
Oh. Had no idea the Kingswood one was in East as well. Daft how parts of Kingswood (the place) are in Bristol rather than S Glos/"Kingswood" constituency.
Has she stopped wobbling over a Labour vote yet?

Oh. Had no idea the Kingswood one was in East as well. Daft how parts of Kingswood (the place) are in Bristol rather than S Glos/"Kingswood" constituency.
Has she stopped wobbling over a Labour vote yet?
Not sure, but I'd hope that all three of us go Labour (I will obv.)

Bristol East stretches all the way from bits of Frenchay in the north to Stockwood in the south. Weird constituency - only seen labour posters though.

There's now an A3 Green Party poster being displayed on my estate.

Possibly a result of the Green Party being the only local party to put up a fight against the council's demolition plans.

Seen Labour posters up in Walsall, Sandwell, Smethwick. Nothing for any other party.

Saw a Tory poster in North Birmingham.

Still relatively few when compared with 2015 as far as I can remember.

Out in Wells Glastonbury and Street today. Lots and lots of lib dems, some labour (not many and I reckon from the long term party members). One tory in a field, none in the towns.

Early morning stroll.

The terraces around me have suddenly gone for Labour. Posters all over.

I bet the lone canvasser from yesterday didn't know what hit him. It's usually a Green stronghold.

driving round the 'burbs this morning...more Labour ones appearing there too.

The absence of the Greens is very notable.

With the tory poster count tiny across many constituencies this is either

1.they have no activists,under the age if 80, to get round and canvass after the battle bus debacle or

2.Its a deliberate strategy and all their money is going on facebook ads or

3.Labour is gonna win a landslide -ok I will get my coat.

There's now an A3 Green Party poster being displayed on my estate.

Possibly a result of the Green Party being the only local party to put up a fight against the council's demolition plans.

Yeah I'll grant that in your neck of the woods nose holding isn't really going to stop the stench getting through.

Señora C has requested we put up a "Vote Labour" poster in our window :eek:

She normally keeps her politics pretty close to her chest and would normally regard the idea of putting up an election poster with absolute horror.

Strange days.

Yeah I'll grant that in your neck of the woods nose holding isn't really going to stop the stench getting through.

Unfortunately not.

Doesn't stop the "vote Labour with no illusions" twats from trotting out their cant, though. I had some former Workers' Power bloke I know, try that one on me. He got a bit upset when I questioned his revolutionary commitment, and asked if it was related to him having got a mortgage and kids in the interim. :) "I'm a realist now", he griped! :D

Señora C has requested we put up a "Vote Labour" poster in our window :eek:

She normally keeps her politics pretty close to her chest and would normally regard the idea of putting up an election poster with absolute horror.

Strange days.

Have you thought of having her exorcised at a labour re-education holiday camp, comrade? I've heard that those Proletarian Democracy people run a good one in Clapton.

Quite a lot of Yellowy-orange in East Anglia. I had a chat with one of their activists on a stall, talked to him about how they'd gained a load of Iraq war disenfranchised Labour voters, who they then betrayed in the vilest way possible by hopping into bed with the tories - and would therefore never vote for them ever again. After a very half-hearted attempt to talk about tuition fees or whatever, he conceded they'd done nothing but prop up a minority government, nodded, stared down at his shoes and looked sad. :D

Horfield, Henleaze.
Ta. Horfield is permanently confused, has gone Lib Dem/Tory/Labour for the council in recent years. Nobody seems to know where the boundary with West lies there either, my mate keeps getting the wrong Tory leaflets delivered.

Henleaze. Ugh, posh Lib Dem ghetto

Quite a lot of Yellowy-orange in East Anglia. I had a chat with one of their activists on a stall, talked to him about how they'd gained a load of Iraq war disenfranchised Labour voters, who they then betrayed in the vilest way possible by hopping into bed with the tories - and would therefore never vote for them ever again. After a very half-hearted attempt to talk about tuition fees or whatever, he conceded they'd done nothing but prop up a minority government, nodded, stared down at his shoes and looked sad. :D
That made me laugh :D

Ta. Horfield is permanently confused, has gone Lib Dem/Tory/Labour for the council in recent years. Nobody seems to know where the boundary with West lies there either, my mate keeps getting the wrong Tory leaflets delivered.

Henleaze. Ugh, posh Lib Dem ghetto
Not seen any lozenges in Henleaze yet. But most posters were in Horfield anyway.

Not seen any lozenges in Henleaze yet. But most posters were in Horfield anyway.
tbf I think the Henleaze Lib Demmery is confined to the Campion-Smiths' personal vote on the council. If there are Labour posters in Horfield then they're doing OK I'd say - it's inbetweener country as I said. Labour can lock up Southmead, Lockleaze etc but need to convince Horfield, Henbury & Avonmouth/Lawrence Weston to get on board

Back
Top Bottom