Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Douglas Murray is a skid mark

TBF though, I'd only heard of this Murray twat very vaguely before this and would have struggled to place him without this thread.

But PLEASE signal that you're exhuming an ancient thread with red flashing lights in future! :hmm:

Murray should not be interviewed on news and current affairs programmes without making clear his radical right-wing Christian links. If people are unlucky enough to be subject to Murray's viewpoints and those of his associates, then the interviewer needs to explain these links, so that viewers/listeners are reasonably aware that they're listening to a minority viewpoint from radical right-wing Christians.

The BBC are far too often guilty of this sort of thing. Interviewing people from the 'Taxpayers Alliance' (who are in reality extremist Thatcherite partisans) as if they're 'independent experts' :mad:

Also, not making very clear the vested interest backgrounds of climate change denialists

Interviewing extreme wingnuts for 'balance', as if their barking views are of equivalent legitimacy to those of boring mainstreamers? Fuck off.

may i introduce you to the multi-quote function will? click on this image in each post you're replying to:
multiquote_off.gif
and you can put all your replies in one post! :cool:

Murray should not be interviewed on news and current affairs programmes without making clear his radical right-wing Christian links. If people are unlucky enough to be subject to Murray's viewpoints and those of his associates, then the interviewer needs to explain these links, so that viewers/listeners are reasonably aware that they're listening to a minority viewpoint from radical right-wing Christians.
It should also be made blatantly clear that the Centre for Social Cohesion is not an official, State body and is not State funded.

The name implies some sort of official status and I have met loads of people who think it is some official quango or other ... it would not surprise me to find that amongst the communities he demonises there is a widespread belief that he is speaking for the government.

I saw him on Newsnight a couple of years ago and was so incensed by his performance that I complained to Civitas, drawing attention to how his performance went against everything set out in both their aims and objectives and those of the CSC:

From complaint e-mail said:
"How on earth can someone who purports to direct a so-called “Centre for Social Cohesion” present themselves in such a way (not just in what they said, but how they said it – a large proportion of communication is non-verbal and Douglas Murray’s attitudes flooded out via his)? Social Cohesion? This MUST be a joke. Douglas Murray could not have done more to promote Social DIVISION if he had tried. If we hadn’t been told I would, to be honest, have expected him to be someone propped up by the BNP or their slightly better disguised colleagues (I am, of course, assuming that the Centre is not some sort of front for the BNP).

I cannot believe that an apparently serious organisation, one which is associated with Civitas, a Registered Charity, would wish to remain associated with the views expressed by Mr Murray or, just as importantly, with the manner in which he expressed them. A final point from your website, referring to schools, says “At their best, schools teach respect for democracy, laws that apply equally to all, freedom of speech, toleration, and commitment to the essential dignity of all individuals regardless of background.”. Not only did Mr Murray not treat the other participants with dignity (particularly Mr Ramadan, for whom his contempt was palpable), he was downright rude.

I got a prompt response from Civitas which included:

From Civitas said:
Thank you for your message. We have received other similar complaints. I share your view that opinions should not be expressed with such aggression. The whole point of a research institute is to engage in rational debate and to approach issues in an objective and balanced way. There is no place for displays of bad temper of the kind witnessed on Newsnight.

There was a meeting of the advisory council last night and Mr Murray fully understands what is expected of him.

Whilst he has reduced his stridency a bit after that, it seems to be creeping back ... maybe they actually like what he is saying and the way he is saying it ... :confused:

AFAIK, Civitas has charitable status, whilst Murray's CfSC does not (unlike Policy Exchange, another think tank in the same vein).

Whilst it's true that a tiny amount of Civitas work (teaching english to 400 school children across Britain) could be classed as charitable, they support and set up fee-paying Christian schools whilst advocating to allow privately funded health care to end NHS 'monopoly' :hmm:
Civitas ought to be reclassified as right-wing Christian advocacy group, their tax-exempt status revoked.

CfSC and their links to and support for right-wing Christian militant separatists and other right-wing Christian political organisations in USA, etc, e.g. CAN (see Bartholemew's Notes on Religion) should be made quite clear in any publicly-funded media (BBC, C4).

Civitas ought not to receive tax-exempt status and no doubt it's aim to break the NHS and introduce US-style private health care and introduce private fee-paying Christian schools is something no charity should be involved in. Civitas is clearly a religious advocacy group and not worthy of tax-exempt charitable status.

The taxpayer ought not to be funding advocacy groups which set up another group with such clear links to right-wing Christian militant separatists! Civitas set up CfSC as a project - a charity project! Cynically, they did not register CfSC as a charity, so we could see CfSC as an attempt to hive off political advocacy activities that wouldn't be classed as worthy of charity-status.

As for CfSC and it's links to militant separatist groups, separatist groups are by far the largest terrorist threat. Separatist groups (ultra-nationalist, ethno-nationalist and religio-nationalist) account for around 80% of all terrorist acts (planned, foiled or successful).

Civitas : http://www.charity-commission.gov.u...teredCharityNumber=1085494&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Centre for Social Cohesion: Not a registrered charity, but set up as a project by Civitas in 2007, presumably so Civitas can cling on to it's charity-status.

Why should Civitias, a right-wing political think-tank (advocacy group) which runs Douglas Murray's Centre for Social Cohesion as a project, receive charity status and the tax-perks that go with that? Civitas clearly has a political purpose rather than a charitable aim. Civitas has, since setting up its project CfCS in 2007, been in breach of and has clearly been operating outside of its charitable obligations. Neither Civitas' CfCS project nor its stated aims of breaking up the NHS for private health-care exploitation are the sort of thing that you expect a British charity to promote.

may i introduce you to the multi-quote function will? click on this image in each post you're replying to:
multiquote_off.gif
and you can put all your replies in one post! :cool:

Fuck that, I'm stuck in the mud and prefer things old style old school! :p :D

;)

Actually thanks for the reminder, will consider it ...

It should also be made blatantly clear that the Centre for Social Cohesion is not an official, State body and is not State funded.
CfSC is a project by registered charity Civitas, a right-wing Christian think tank and advocacy group which to all intents and purposes, ought not to have tax-exempt charity status.

The name implies some sort of official status and I have met loads of people who think it is some official quango or other ... it would not surprise me to find that amongst the communities he demonises there is a widespread belief that he is speaking for the government.
I agree totally - more transparency is needed.
I saw him on Newsnight a couple of years ago and was so incensed by his performance that I complained to Civitas, drawing attention to how his performance went against everything set out in both their aims and objectives and those of the CSC:

I got a prompt response from Civitas which included:

Whilst he has reduced his stridency a bit after that, it seems to be creeping back ... maybe they actually like what he is saying and the way he is saying it ... :confused:
CfSC (Douglas Murray, Baroness Cox) is a project of Civitas, a registered charity that aims to break up the NHS and allow private health-care exploitation in Britain. Civitas does not deserve tax-exempt status at all. It's aims are not charitable in the slightest and it's project CfSC is far from charitable, even though it is not itself a registered charity, it is clearly the political arm of Civitas!

Frankly, I'm appalled that such a thinly veiled political and private enterprise 'think tank' (advocacy group) such as Civitas should receive tax-exempt status as a registered charity.

Series of stills taken as Murray warms up the audience to be receptive to neoconservative NHS cuts which will enable private health care (US-style) to be introduced to UK.

Attachments

• Picture 313.jpg
    Picture 313.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 90
... yes, I went to Eton ... and have no wegard anyone who is socially or economically infewior to myself and my ilk. Yes, I'm a wampant Islamophobe with wight-wing Christian links. Like Baroness Cox, my biased viewpoint wenders me completely unsuitable to comment on Social Cohesion ...

Attachments

• Picture 314.jpg
    Picture 314.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 67
There was a great shot of Douglas Murray, a camera panning from the left of the studio. He was looking right into it whilst the rest of them were talking.

He has something of the night about him. I bet he has skeletons in his closet.

:hmm:

The reason (imho) people like him are good value on programmes like QT is that they do not follow the politically correct sterilised politics of the main parties and instead say what a proportion of the audience are actually thinking. Galloway is the same, perhaps Boris Johnston also.

See also David Starkey.

I was sat next to him for a whole evening once. I got drunk.
We had a very very very very very long argument which went on for about 5 hours, about everything. Literally, everything.

Are you saying that he's incapable of social cohesion, because I'd agree with you. He consistently makes public statements which are the antithesis of social cohesion

What he really means is social cohesion for the the wealthy.

He is the enemy.

Charity? Charity? Tax-breaks for bigots?
Civitas set up the Centre for Social Cohesion in 2007, with funding of £274,669.[1]The Centre's director is Douglas Murray, author of Neoconservatism: Why we need it.
http://www.neoconeurope.eu/Civitas

Does anyone else here think that charitable aims are not in Civitas' vocabulary?

weltweit said:
The reason (imho) people like him are good value on programmes like QT is that they do not follow the politically correct sterilised politics of the main parties and instead say what a proportion of the audience are actually thinking. Galloway is the same, perhaps Boris Johnston also.

Even further proof that people like Murray are complete tosspots then? :rolleyes:

As I've said far too many times on here ....,

That rustily hackeyed, ultracliched, deeply cobwebbed, beyond derivative phrase 'political correctness' (especially 'gone mad') should be a phrase anyone with a braincell count above that of an amoeba, and anywhere to the left of Clarkson/Littlejohn should be fucking ashamed of using ... :hmm: :rolleyes:

Use of it : Instant proof of braindead idiocy and that includes you weltweit for recycling it (even unintentionally) from the pages of the Daily Mail.

:mad:

Let's review Murray, in his own words, and decide whether such a man deserves to claim charitable status for Civitas:

Finally, there is, of course, Douglas Murray, "Britain's only neoconservative", who has often failed to distinguish Islam from Islamism. In just one speech, for example, Murray referred to the "violence, intimidation and thuggery of Islam" and "the problem of Islam".
Like Steyn, Murray has also represented Muslims as a collective threat, referring ominously to the "demographic time-bomb which will soon see a number of our largest cities fall to Muslim majorities". He concluded that "conditions for Muslims in Europe must be made harder across the board" – a phrase that could easily be interpreted as a call for the collective punishment of Muslims.
Imagine if a British charity director was speaking out against Jews or Christians or any other religious group like this! :eek:

Here's another of 'charity' Civitas's 'charitable' involvements:
The anger generated by the asylum issue has now been turned, in the hands of the Mail and its cohorts, into a stick with which to beat Britain's human rights laws. In the Sun, Richard Littlejohn wrote, on 20 February 2003, that the European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR) is 'one of the most wicked pieces of legislation ever brought into British law... little more than a charter for terrorists, gangsters, illegal immigrants, drugs dealers'.

Similarly, a pamphlet by Myles Harris, published in January by the right-wing think-tank Civitas, entitled Tomorrow Is Another Country, and extracted in the Mail on 21 January 2003, argues that Britain should cease its membership of the ECHR. Harris' theme is that Britain's doors are open by law to all who seek entry chanting the mantra of human rights. His message is that we are being overrun by foreign frauds, cheats and liars, and there is nothing we can do about it while the Human Rights Act remains in force. Therefore it must be repealed.

But while the Mail describes Harris as a man who has been 'researching the asylum crisis', in fact, he has sat in on a few asylum appeal hearings and his report is a hodgepodge of factual and legal error, prejudice, assumption and partiality. He tells his readers that 'only 9 per cent of men and 13 per cent of women are granted asylum; the rest present cases which are concocted or have only the vaguest approximation to the truth'. Yet, any fair reading of Home Office statistics shows that at least 42 per cent of claims are valid, when successful appeals and exceptional leave to remain are included. He tells his readers that 'the Human Rights Act has the effect of surrendering the right to decide who can and who can't enter the UK'. Yet, as he ought to know, the European Court of Human Rights recognises the sovereign right of states to control their borders. He even tells his readers that 'by 2050, whites will be in the minority in London and, by 2100, in the entire country', though projections of that kind wrongly assume that descendants of immigrants will have as many children as immigrants do.

The funniest part of the Harris polemic is where he describes how we can avoid employing immigrant labour. We need, he says, to raise the retirement age to 70, curb social security and work longer hours. Strange how those proposals weren't headlined.
http://www.irr.org.uk/2003/march/ak000003.html
It's clear that Civitas are not a charity but are a political advocacy group. Tory party donations tax dodge?

In 2007, Civitas were calling for state-funded charities to have their status revoked, which if applied, would have seen NCH, Barnardos stripped of charity status.

How about in 2010, Civitas - a political advocacy group masquerading as a charity - has it's status revoked?

Let's review Murray, in his own words, and decide whether such a man deserves to claim charitable status for Civitas:

Imagine if a British charity director was speaking out against Jews or Christians or any other religious group like this! :eek:

Here's another of 'charity' Civitas's 'charitable' involvements:

It's clear that Civitas are not a charity but are a political advocacy group. Tory party donations tax dodge?

In 2007, Civitas were calling for state-funded charities to have their status revoked, which if applied, would have seen NCH, Barnardos stripped of charity status.

How about in 2010, Civitas - a political advocacy group masquerading as a charity - has it's status revoked?

Excellent posts IP.

I like Douglas Murray, I just saw him on Question Time, and I like anyone who does not hold back on their views, even if I disagree with them. It's why I also like George Galloway, Murray and him could have a great argument and it would make good tv.

I think he should go on the next celebrity big brother.

So do you still like Douglas Murray weltweit,, even after reading invisibleplanet's post 185 and post 198 on the previous page? :hmm:

Or maybe his brave bold 'speaking his mind' defiance of the oppressive forces of 'political correctness' redeems him ... ? :rolleyes:

Because if I was alone with Douglas Murray for two weeks in the same house I would want to cause injury to myself or others :(

Back
Top Bottom