Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump the road that might not lead to the White House - Redux 2024 thread.

Yeah, saw a picture of Trump giving her a cuddle at Mar-a-lago.

His wife was in New York because she calls his place in Florida a swamp.

wheee-new-first-lady-v0-6xn9i38tvlod1.png

I wonder if Mrs Trump has a hand in spreading/embellishing this story?
She must have been in divorce suit evidence gathering mode for some time now

I wonder if Mrs Trump has a hand in spreading/embellishing this story?
She must have been in divorce suit evidence gathering mode for some time now
Perhaps... maybe if Melania's been getting stick for not playing the dutiful wife, given the importance of the role of the wife in campaigning over there and the First Lady role, then maybe she wants to deflect some of the attention/ire?

Or maybe it's members of his campaign team, pissed off with the eating cats and dogs nonsense (which some reports allege she was the source of), and how badly he did in the debate, and they're preempting the backlash from Trump, throwing Loomer under the (campaign) bus so they don't have to let her back on it to continue interfering with their campaign efforts?

Will be interesting to see what Melania does next, if she shows up by his side, or if Loomer gets booted off the bus.

The dope opens his gob and gives imo a veiled instruction to vote for Trump

I read the more detailed report on the BBC, and I certainly don't see it as encouraging a vote for Trump.

Pope urges Catholics to pick 'lesser evil' between Trump and Harris

Pope Francis has called both major US presidential candidates "against life" and advised Catholic voters to choose the "lesser evil" when casting their ballots in the November election. The pontiff said not welcoming migrants - seemingly referring to Trump - is a "grave" sin, and compared Kamala Harris's stance on abortion to an "assassination". “Both are against life, be it the one who kicks out migrants, or be it the one who kills babies″ the Pope said in rare political comments at a Friday news conference

he encouraged Americans to vote. "Not voting is ugly. It is not good. You must vote," he said. "You must choose the lesser evil. Who is the lesser evil? That lady, or that gentleman? I don't know. Everyone, in conscience, (has to) think and do this."

Can you explain how that is an instruction to vote for Trump, veiled or otherwise?

Difficult choice though - getting migrants to leave the country or assassinating babies :confused:

Hardly an endorsement of Harris at all.
It isn't an endorsement of either of them. I was replying to a post which claimed it was an instruction to vote for Trump.

I'd be interested to know whether people really think it would be a good idea for the Pope to explicitly endorse one candidate over the other. My opinion is that it wouldn't.

It isn't an endorsement of either of them. I was replying to a post which claimed it was an instruction to vote for Trump.

I'd be interested to know whether people really think it would be a good idea for the Pope to explicitly endorse one candidate over the other. My opinion is that it wouldn't.
Not a lot of difference but if you read it literally the statement seems more of an endorsement of Trump than of Harris: "assassinating" babies?

Not a lot of difference but if you read it literally the statement seems more of an endorsement of Trump than of Harris: "assassinating" babies?

He has literally said that both are against life - see my quote above.

Do you think he should explicitly endorse Harris?

He has literally said that both are against life - see my quote above.

Do you think he should explicitly endorse Harris?
No, but describing her stance on abortion as assassinating babies seems to me the greater of two evils. I think a lot of Catholics will see it as such. The alternative isn't assassinating migrants.

Eta: it's also a bit too close to Trump's "executing" babies after they've been born.

No, but describing her stance on abortion as assassinating babies seems to me the greater of two evils. I think a lot of Catholics will see it as such. The alternative isn't assassinating migrants.

Eta: it's also a bit too close to Trump's "executing" babies after they've been born.
I agree that assassinating isn't a great choice of words, but I don't think that should obscure his wider point.

Yes can quite see that, too. Not sure how Catholics would feel though, and lays it open for Trump to start saying that he the pope agrees with him about Harris assassinating babies.

No. But mainly because Harris certainly doesn't need endorsement from someone so problematic in his own views.

Yes can quite see that, too. Not sure how Catholics would feel though, and lays it open for Trump to start saying that he the pope agrees with him about Harris assassinating babies.

If it helps, I'm a Catholic, and if I were voting according to my understanding and interpretation of Catholic teaching, I'd vote for Harris.

The fact that it's a sin for Catholics to practice abortion doesn't mean that I think abortion shouldn't be available for those who choose it.

If it helps, I'm a Catholic, and if I were voting according to my understanding and interpretation of Catholic teaching, I'd vote for Harris.

The fact that it's a sin for Catholics to practice abortion doesn't mean that I think abortion shouldn't be available for those who choose it.
That's not the pope's position, though. Catholic church in general around the world has for decades and still does actively agitate for the banning of abortion for everyone. This Pope is no different.

And given a binary choice between fascism and communism, we know that this Pope chooses silence over the fascists' assassination of young people who advocate communism.

And that's me being charitable.

Trying to get some support from the tradcaths maybe who don't even think he's a legitimate pope? While trying not to alienate Harris supporters and large numbers of Latinx Catholics

Not being embedded in the Catholic faith I'd not want to try and sound knowledgable, but if Catholicism is anything like the CoE and other major denominations the main concern would simply be not to encourage schism.

The Pope doesn't strike me as a stupid man, he's pitching on a question he knows has the possibility of alienating large numbers of the flock either way and has hedged by saying they're both shit. Trying to read a personal lean into it disregards the politics of his own postion.
Yes. And that's a mark of the shitness of the politics of his position.

20240211T0805-POPE-MASS-CANONIZATION-ANTULA-1772530.JPG.JPG

Back
Top Bottom