Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who Series 10

I wonder if this will effect the decision on the new bond?
The Brocollis may see this as the sacrificial lamb so they can carry on with a white posh man as usual.
Also the BBC is at the forefront of political correctness and are not in it for the money, a private company may be more risk averse if it may mean less profits.
Reads that you aren't pro female but more anti posh white men.

Perhaps you could have a word with posh white Ian Fleming who supposedly loosely based the character around his own posh white spy days.

The Brocollis may see this as the sacrificial lamb so they can carry on with a white posh man as usual.
Also the BBC is at the forefront of political correctness and are not in it for the money, a private company may be more risk averse if it may mean less profits.

I don't really agree with the comparison to Bond to be honest.

Bond is played by male actors because the character is the epitome of hyper-masculinity, he's misogynistic yet irresistible to women, self-destructive, unnecessarily violent and groomed specifically from the section of society that would never consider a woman for such a closed shop job.

The Doctor is a character that is less reliant on such a specific background or tropes, in fact difference in personality is encouraged between the various incarnations, hence why this shouldn't be an issue.

Plus alien, obvs.

OR it might open the floodgates. Before we know it women might being be considered for ANY acting roles, regardless of whether the plot specifically requires the character to have tits. The horror.

Last edited:

Who needs a female Bond, when we already have Atomic Blonde:

Atomic Blonde | Movie Site & Trailer | July 28, 2017

Bond is played by male actors because the character is the epitome of hyper-masculinity, he's misogynistic yet irresistible to women, self-destructive, unnecessarily violent and groomed specifically from the section of society that would never consider a woman for such a closed shop job.

The Doctor is a character that is less reliant on such a specific background or tropes, in fact difference in personality is encouraged between the various incarnations, hence why this shouldn't be an issue.

Plus alien, obvs.

I agree. The Doctor changes entirely with each regeneration so it doesn't make any difference what gender or race the character is.

Bond otoh - no. It would be silly for the reasons The Octagon has listed above. I'm more miffed that there hasn't yet been a Black Widow film whilst the rest of the (male) Avenger characters have several each. That's sexism in a nutshell. Poor woman kicks arse with the rest of them but doesn't get to be the star of the show:mad:

I agree. The Doctor changes entirely with each regeneration so it doesn't make any difference what gender or race the character is.

Bond otoh - no. It would be silly for the reasons The Octagon has listed above. I'm more miffed that there hasn't yet been a Black Widow film whilst the rest of the (male) Avenger characters have several each. That's sexism in a nutshell. Poor woman kicks arse with the rest of them but doesn't get to be the star of the show:mad:

Marvel Black Widow Solo Movie Coming After Avengers: Infinity War

Having a female lead isn't necessarily as recipe for not making money:

Another day, another milestone for Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman.

Today, the superhero film will become the third-biggest Warner Bros. release of all time in North America — not accounting for inflation — leapfrogging the final Harry Potter film, 2011's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.

Through Sunday, Wonder Woman's domestic total was $380.7 million, compared with $381 million for Deathly Hallows: Part 2. The studio's two top-grossing films domestically are Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight ($533.3 million) and The Dark Knight Rises($448.1 million), again, not adjusting for inflation.

Wonder Woman has enjoyed the best hold of any superhero film in more than 15 years since hitting theaters in early June. ....

Wonder Woman is now assured of becoming the top-grossing movie of summer 2017, besting Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which has grossed $386.6 million domestically to date. (Wonder Woman will ultimately earn north of $390 million in North America.)

Box Office Milestone: 'Wonder Woman' Passes Final 'Harry Potter' Pic

What matters more is the story and writing.

Perhaps you could have a word with posh white Ian Fleming who supposedly loosely based the character around his own posh white spy days.

Perhaps not, given that he died not long after the franchise based around his character began, and it's now outlived the context of his own posh white spy days by more than half a century. Today's spy context is obviously not Fleming's, and MI6 is less interested than it once was in recruiting posh white men when what they need is people who can blend in and speak to people in their own language in China or the Arabian peninsula.

The secret to enduring appeal of a work of fiction or fictional character surely is it's ability to outlive its original context. Otherwise Hamlet would have been stale and fallen out of favour pretty much when people stopped living in castles and ensuring royal succession by means of stabbing.

Perhaps not, given that he died not long after the franchise based around his character began, and it's now outlived the context of his own posh white spy days by more than half a century. Today's spy context is obviously not Fleming's, and MI6 is less interested than it once was in recruiting posh white men when what they need is people who can blend in and speak to people in their own language in China or the Arabian peninsula.

The secret to enduring appeal of a work of fiction or fictional character surely is it's ability to outlive its original context. Otherwise Hamlet would have been stale and fallen out of favour pretty much when people stopped living in castles and ensuring royal succession by means of stabbing.
Which is why Downtown Abbey is moving to a council estate for its next series.

Plus alien, obvs.

Interestingly the filmakers found the hypermasculinity and some of Bonds other character traits such bullshit they considered reworking stories to reduce those elements even further and even considered a woman in the role.

Also The Doctor's appearance is explained within the show. He regenerates. Most characters do not recognise him when they first meet a new incarnation and when they do iit is not because of his appearance. The suspension of disbelief is about space magic. Plausability is not an issue.

With Bond it is different as an audience we are supposed to assume he is the same person (unconfirmed and fucking stupid if you think about it for a second theories about a codename aside). Characters meet Bond and recognise him all the time whether he is played by Connery or some other guy. We as an audience know he is played by a different actor, looks different and acts different but we suspend disbelief because of something external to the fictional universe. As long as that is the same character with similar origins and outlooks we can believe it. Daniel Craig's Bond was ruined for me when in Skyfall it went from a reboot/origin story to a film with Aston Martins with ejector seats. It was a different story with similar characters until that point. Once that fucking car turned up despite all those warm nostalgic feelings the series lost something for me. Bond both got his licence to kill a few years ago and has been killing Spectre agents since the sixties. Fuck off. To make a similar change with Bond as has happened with you'd need some Die another day level shit to explain it or a reboot. I'd prefer the later. You could even have multiple Bonds on the go like Sherlocks.

I'd prefer a reboot. Idris Elba or a woman would make more sense as Peter Cushing than Jodie Whitaker.

I have been against a female doctor since its been brought up, in my head it was always not going to work but after watching the last series and with them announcing Jodie whittaker I find myself more interested in how she will play the doctor than I thought I would be. My main worry with who is whether chibnall will do a good job as from what I have seen of whittakers work she is more than capable of doing an excellent job in the role.

Interestingly the filmakers found the hypermasculinity and some of Bonds other character traits such bullshit they considered reworking stories to reduce those elements even further and even considered a woman in the role.

Also The Doctor's appearance is explained within the show. He regenerates. Most characters do not recognise him when they first meet a new incarnation and when they do iit is not because of his appearance. The suspension of disbelief is about space magic. Plausability is not an issue.

With Bond it is different as an audience we are supposed to assume he is the same person (unconfirmed and fucking stupid if you think about it for a second theories about a codename aside). Characters meet Bond and recognise him all the time whether he is played by Connery or some other guy. We as an audience know he is played by a different actor, looks different and acts different but we suspend disbelief because of something external to the fictional universe. As long as that is the same character with similar origins and outlooks we can believe it. Daniel Craig's Bond was ruined for me when in Skyfall it went from a reboot/origin story to a film with Aston Martins with ejector seats. It was a different story with similar characters until that point. Once that fucking car turned up despite all those warm nostalgic feelings the series lost something for me. Bond both got his licence to kill a few years ago and has been killing Spectre agents since the sixties. Fuck off. To make a similar change with Bond as has happened with you'd need some Die another day level shit to explain it or a reboot. I'd prefer the later. You could even have multiple Bonds on the go like Sherlocks.

I'd prefer a reboot. Idris Elba or a woman would make more sense as Peter Cushing than Jodie Whitaker.
I want Daniel Craig to play it forever...
But with better scripts than Skyfall.
I kinda suspected it would be sucky when I heard Adele's sucky attempt at a theme tune.

The better the theme tune the better the Bond movie. Which is why Live and Let Die is the all time best.

Time for some bingo...

156083712e16b2c2736704921f17190e3b71fddb35ce97801b1f8fde1e6212e4a48cae5e.jpg

That's probably the first point of yours I agree with.

Ghostbusters. Yay you made an all female lead comedy movie. You had to do it off the back of something men had already made popular.

Female Watson: Yay well done being second fiddle to an already established male role. Watson is irrelevant and could be a crime fighting cat and people would still watch it.

Bones. Now that should be celebrated... even if she has ripped off Quincy.

You're gonna do your nut when you hear about these Shakespeare plays.

This driving/parking the tardis stuff is amusing - all these twats thinking they're being funny ironically or not, when it's long established that the doctor can't drive the tardis well in the first place because they never learned and are a bit shit and actually river song was the one who could drive her properly.

This driving/parking the tardis stuff is amusing - all these twats thinking they're being funny ironically or not, when it's long established that the doctor can't drive the tardis well in the first place because they never learned and are a bit shit and actually river song was the one who could drive her properly.
he stole it originally and its never worked correctly since. Lore has it that this is why the chameleon circuit is stuck and the psychic bond is imperfect for them. They need new roundels for the christmas ep as well, I am bored with the current ones

this is the laziest cop-out argument in the world btw. Human nature when invoked in the context you have literally just stands for 'how I view the world and the assumptions I make based on my own lived experience'

"+ I am unwilling to accept that that frame could be anything less than perfect in any way at all so I have no need to be open to challenging it"

he stole it originally and its never worked correctly since. Lore has it that this is why the chameleon circuit is stuck and the psychic bond is imperfect for them. They need new roundels for the christmas ep as well, I am bored with the current ones

What was the stuff with River driving it then? It worked fine for her. There was a whole bit about it.

I had exactly this argument with some nerk on Twitter last night who kept coming back with variations which ended in her crashing the TARDIS, so I blocked him. Tedious tosser!

What was the stuff with River driving it then? It worked fine for her. There was a whole bit about it.
yeah I recall it vaguely. The lore is malleable ennit. Also wasn't that post rose/tardis bond? I could come up with a bollocks reason as to why that means river was able to fly the thing right. Not sure what yet but psychic bond/reset something.

Back
Top Bottom