Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

By the way, in the second of the anniversary specials, Wild Blue Yonder, it is stated that they are at the edge of the universe. The universe does not have, and cannot have, an edge. It could either curve back on itself, or it could be infinite, and the evidence points to the latter.

Given that this is a programme for children, I think it is wrong to state something about the universe that is so grossly incorrect.

By the way, in the second of the anniversary specials, Wild Blue Yonder, it is stated that they are at the edge of the universe. The universe does not have, and cannot have, an edge. It could either curve back on itself, or it could be infinite, and the evidence points to the latter.

Given that this is a programme for children, I think it is wrong to state something about the universe that is so grossly incorrect.

But it’s true that sprinkling salt at the furthest reaches of the universe allows creatures of fantasy like goblins to enter a universe which hitherto obeyed the rules of hard SF, right? We haven’t been misled there, surely?

I get that it’s difficult. For you. Because if the universe is everything, then the concept of an everything having an edge is... kind of impossible. But that's the language of 21st century Earth and you don't know anything yet. Not being rude, you just don't. When you discover Camboolian flat mathematics, you'll discover it's possible.
Given that this is a programme for children
You probably shouldn’t watch it or care, if you truly think that.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not but given that I'm getting tired of teuchter and dwyer I'll add you to a block list anyway. Cannot be polite with this any longer.

Even scientists use the term "edge of the universe", and it's taken to mean as far as... stuff exists. If the universe is infinite, there's still an "edge" where there ceases to be stars and matter. After that is... to our knowledge, nothing.

Even scientists use the term "edge of the universe", and it's taken to mean as far as... stuff exists. If the universe is infinite, there's still an "edge" where there ceases to be stars and matter. After that is... to our knowledge, nothing.
But if the physical universe is like the surface of a four-dimensional sphere, then that edge is everywhere.

“The universe is flat like an [endless] sheet of paper,” says Mather. “According to this, you could continue infinitely far in any direction and the universe would be just the same, more or less.” You’d never come to an edge of this flat universe; you’d only find more and more galaxies.
Where is the edge of the universe?

Well, our universe does have an edge — that is, if by "our universe," you mean the observable universe. The speed of light is just that — a speed — and the universe has only been around for so long (about 13.77 billion years), which means only so much of the universe has been revealed to us via the light that has traveled those vast cosmic distances. And what's outside our observable limit? That one's easy: It's just more stuff, like galaxies and black holes and new, fantastic varieties of cheese. It's forever unreachable by us, sure — but it's still over there.
Where's the Edge of the Universe?

Reactions: PTK
Thank you.

It is amazing that it is space itself that is expanding.

Last edited:
This might be a controversial point, but it was a million times better than any Classic Who.
Hmm, I've just re-watched the Tomb of the Cybermen and The Web of Fear for the first time since I watched them as a (nearly) 4 year old. I think I may be reconnecting with Patrick Troughton.

I think the universe is best understood as a balloon. But with all of 3D space represented as the locally 2D surface of the balloon. Wherever you go on that surface, you'll never find the edge. You could in theory go all the way round and end up back where you started but in reality you can't because the balloon is inflating at such a rate that most points on the surface of the balloon will move away from you faster than the fastest speed at which you can possibly move towards them. In fact, as the universe gets bigger, the part of it that we can interact with gets smaller.

Of course if everything we can see and a shitload of things we can't are trapped on the skin of a balloon, there could be other balloons. Equally real but impossible for us to access or even detect. By turning 3D space into 2D space as a thought exercise, you create extra dimensions of up and down that don't correspond to anything we can experience. Every signal we can send or receive is just a ripple in the skin of our balloon, and we can no more send a signal 'up' or 'down' to other balloons than we can travel to the moon on a donkey.

exactly what i thought too
Yep. Christmas episodes are usually fairly mediocre, this one at least introduced the new Doctor as super charming, the new companion seems promising, and the story left some interesting little plot tidbits to be picked up later. All perfectly acceptable while you're still digesting the Christmas pudding.

I really hope I haven’t worked it out already but Angie Watts is Ruby’s mum…

… and The Doctor’s mum.

They’re siblings.
She snuck in and messed with the DNA test. The reason she was there.

ETA. Just hope she is isn’t an older Jenny. The Doctor’s daughter.

Last edited:
Nice to see Anita Dobson, although am concerned that her character will turn out to be The Rani, or the Ruby character will be someone the fate of the universe hinges on.

A bit done with the old villains and omnipotent companions.

I think the universe is best understood as a balloon. But with all of 3D space represented as the locally 2D surface of the balloon. Wherever you go on that surface, you'll never find the edge. You could in theory go all the way round and end up back where you started but in reality you can't because the balloon is inflating at such a rate that most points on the surface of the balloon will move away from you faster than the fastest speed at which you can possibly move towards them. In fact, as the universe gets bigger, the part of it that we can interact with gets smaller.

Of course if everything we can see and a shitload of things we can't are trapped on the skin of a balloon, there could be other balloons. Equally real but impossible for us to access or even detect. By turning 3D space into 2D space as a thought exercise, you create extra dimensions of up and down that don't correspond to anything we can experience. Every signal we can send or receive is just a ripple in the skin of our balloon, and we can no more send a signal 'up' or 'down' to other balloons than we can travel to the moon on a donkey.
Yes, if the universe was curved, then your analogy would be correct. However, the observational evidence of the rate of expansion indicates that the universe is flat, and therefore infinite in spatial extent.

Yes, if the universe was curved, then your analogy would be correct. However, the observational evidence of the rate of expansion indicates that the universe is flat, and therefore infinite in spatial extent.

Perhaps it is only 'flat' in the three dimensions we can observe. Until someone has explained why the universe is not just expanding but accelerating, I think all conclusions drawn from our observations of that expansion have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

We can also observe, from pissing about with marbles and pendulums, that kinetic energy cannot increase without the influence of some external force. But what's external to the universe?

About that idea that the universe doesn't have an edge.....

Thank you for posting this.

I hope people will agree that the ideas espoused in this video are more exciting than those in The Wild Blue Yonder episode of Doctor Who. Doctor Who should contain ideas that astonish us.

I definitely think a programme about a body shifting, time travelling alien who has a variety of British accents (but never Welsh) and a Time Machine that defies the laws of spacial geometry but is stuck looking like a police phone box from the 50s should be more scientifically realistic.

Perhaps it is only 'flat' in the three dimensions we can observe. Until someone has explained why the universe is not just expanding but accelerating, I think all conclusions drawn from our observations of that expansion have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

We can also observe, from pissing about with marbles and pendulums, that kinetic energy cannot increase without the influence of some external force. But what's external to the universe?
The universe is considered to be flat in four dimensions.
Acceration is due to the dark energy, which is so called because its nature is unknown, but it is a property of space, so the more that space expands, the more dark energy there is.

It's accelerating cos the universe doesn't weigh as much as estimated

I definitely think a programme about a body shifting, time travelling alien who has a variety of British accents (but never Welsh) and a Time Machine that defies the laws of spacial geometry but is stuck looking like a police phone box from the 50s should be more scientifically realistic.
Plot-wise, Wild Blue Yonder does not make sense either.

Back
Top Bottom