Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

Pretty much sums it up... Dogshit.
Even the Sylvester McCoy era was better, and that was utter shite.
If Dr. Who was an animal you'd have it put down. It's cruel to leave it suffering like this.

I wasn’t too sure whether next series had already been filmed.

I'm just talking to husband again about this (because... he's still very disappointed and this is all talk therapy for him), and I mentioned how I thought the best Doctor who episodes are always the ones where there is disturbing mild peril.

He says the last time he remembers that happening is the season finale with the Master and Missy and Capaldi (World Enough and Time or something) where they - work in progress cybermen - are wearing burns victim facial bandages/masks and they are sitting there silent, and Bill Potts turns up the volume and they are all saying "pain pain pain" and then it just casually gets turned back down again, disturbingly.

He says it properly freaked him out even as an adult, and that we are missing that kind of grim stuff, because especially now with the world, Who has always been an ramped up version of what humanity can do and its more important now than 10 or 20 years ago, and instead we're just getting identity fluff.

I'm just talking to husband again about this (because... he's still very disappointed and this is all talk therapy for him), and I mentioned how I thought the best Doctor who episodes are always the ones where there is disturbing mild peril.

He says the last time he remembers that happening is the season finale with the Master and Missy and Capaldi (World Enough and Time or something) where they - work in progress cybermen - are wearing burns victim facial bandages/masks and they are sitting there silent, and Bill Potts turns up the volume and they are all saying "pain pain pain" and then it just casually gets turned back down again, disturbingly.

He says it properly freaked him out even as an adult, and that we are missing that kind of grim stuff, because especially now with the world, Who has always been an ramped up version of what humanity can do and its more important now than 10 or 20 years ago, and instead we're just getting identity fluff.
What "identity fluff"?

Space babies vs Weeping angels... decisions decisions.

I wonder if they're going to give the whole multimedia thing a go again with the support of Disney. Maybe try a game again. God help us.

Yahtzee's review of the last one sums it up well:

“Disturbing mild peril” absolutely nails what the best stories have in common.
Indeed. I said not long ago in relation to the same story the stakes don't have to be massive. By the end they are just trying to save the lives of a few farmers on a space ship.

You just knew after watching Blink that something had been imprinted into the psyche of a generation.
I remember I watched Blink for the first time late at night. I sat down ate my tea and watched it. When it finished I took the dishes out to the kitchen turning on every light as I went. I was 22 years old.

Last edited:
Such a shame that the weeping angels were overused to death.
I don't think overuse is the issue. It was that later uses were shit. They did that two parter with Smith that could have been Aliens to Blink's Alien but it was fucking shit adding too much extra crap and new powers. Then the idea of them running a hotel was a good concept but they fucked that up too with statues of liberty and other crap. The flux one wasn't too bad iirc. I don't like when they're used in a story that's not about them either.

I don't think overuse is the issue. It was that later uses were shit. They did that two parter with Smith that could have been Aliens to Blink's Alien but it was fucking shit adding too much extra crap and new powers. Then the idea of them running a hotel was a good concept but they fucked that up too with statues of liberty and other crap. The flux one wasn't too bad iirc. I don't like when they're used in a story that's not about them either.

The flux one wasn’t canon, though, it was Chibnall.

Is that aimed at me? Or my husband who I was quoting?

Because personally I have plenty of ideas what he thinks (I can ask him - he's the fan, I'm more just along for the ride), but I doubt the conversation will lead to anywhere good between you and I, and I don't really think you're asking in good faith, so I'll pass.

Is that aimed at me? Or my husband who I was quoting?

Because personally I have plenty of ideas what he thinks (I can ask him - he's the fan, I'm more just along for the ride), but I doubt the conversation will lead to anywhere good between us, and I don't really think you're asking in good faith, so I'll pass.
So, as expected, the identity fluff comment is just waffle.

Cheers for the clarification.

So, as expected, the identity fluff comment is just waffle.

Cheers for the clarification.
No, not really waffle.

I mean it's patently obvious seeing as RTD has been talking about it himself in interviews with regard to his writing, and it's all over the wider fandom commentary, and entertainment news.

Plenty has been written about it literally everywhere else.

No, not really waffle.

I mean it's patently obvious seeing as RTD has been talking about it himself in interviews with regard to his writing, and it's all over the wider fandom commentary, and entertainment news.

Plenty has been written about it literally everywhere else.

Ok, well - it's the first time am hearing it. Can you tell me what it means?

Back
Top Bottom