Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

It's my favourite. Nice bubble episode, old school, scary, creepy.
Oh, I enjoyed it, but if we have to rank episodes (which I don’t do with other programmes to be fair: we’re working through Ted Lasso atm and I’m not ranking the episodes), then for me it’s Giggle, Star Beast, Wild Blue Yonder. My criterion is my enjoyment level.

The Church on Ruby Road knocks them all out of the park.

Oh, I enjoyed it, but if we have to rank episodes (which I don’t do with other programmes to be fair: we’re working through Ted Lasso atm and I’m not ranking the episodes), then for me it’s Giggle, Star Beast, Wild Blue Yonder. My criterion is my enjoyment level.

The Church on Ruby Road knocks them all out of the park.
It's hard to rank them after the favourite. However, Ncuti Gatwa's debut is pretty damn special.

Hopefully more musical interludes to come. Something that the show been missing for a long time.

I quite like a song and dance number when it makes sense in the narrative and fits the characters. The Goblin King one met neither of those characteristics. (Like, why in the fuck would they be singing in something translatable to English when they don’t speak in any such language?)

I quite like a song and dance number when it makes sense in the narrative and fits the characters. The Goblin King one met neither of those characteristics. (Like, why in the fuck would they be singing in something translatable to English when they don’t speak in any such language?)

Without going so far as to “quite like” musical dancing interludes which make sense in the narrative, it wasn’t jarring at all for the Toymaker to impose the Spice Girls on UNIT and on us. The dance-off with the goblins jarred a lot.

Last edited:
Sure, and the cyber conversion to The Lion Sleeps Tonight was perfectly apposite. Nothing wrong with any of that.

Just been round a mate’s place (am in West Wales for Xmas). His wife mentioned about them filming some Who scenes on her Dad’s farm a couple of months back.
According to her brother, Ncuti Gatwa is a totally lovely fella - he had a wander round while they were filming.

Gatwa had a fluffy bathrobe on over his suit between takes cos it was bloody freezing.

Really. Classic Who is strictly for aficionados who are willing to overlook appalling production values, plotting that is not just slow but often hits a stand-still for several episodes in a row, and which really doesn’t stand the test of time. Don’t get me wrong: I love Hartnell through to Tom Baker. But I wouldn’t want a casual viewer to watch even the best stories by mistake, thinking they were getting New Who.
I don't really watch the classic stuff anymore but there's a lot in it that would, naturally, be quite dated. I do remember though the portrayal of 'ordinary people' could be a bit problematic. As well as regularly saying that things were 'a diabolical liberty' and similar, they were always prey to the mind control devices used by the baddies, suspicious even hostile to the doctor but less suspicious of authority. I think there's still a bit of that around, maybe a bit less, but still there. Also, in parallel, RTD sometimes has a slightly cartoonish picture of Londoners, a mixture of grumpy and suspicious and/or community minded diamonds.

I'll admit, that's very much an impression. I've gone through periods where I've only watched the odd episode in the last 3 or 4 years. Also, I'm not sure I should be holding Dr Who up to an anarchist critique. :hmm:

It's accelerating cos the universe doesn't weigh as much as estimated
I don't think that's quite right and refers to an earlier debate. There was a discussion about the mass of the universe with predictions made that below a certain threshold the universe would carry on expanding forever and above it the universe would eventually collapse. This was all blown out of the water when it was observed that the universe's expansion was accelerating. No one knew what was causing this acceleration so they coined the term dark energy for the force (or some other unthought of explanation) for why this is happening.

Musical interludes in Doctor Who as they should be, though:

And they had to sooth a baby in the last one, too, which would have been an excellent opportunity for a bit of harooning.

Interesting. For me it would be:

Church on Ruby Road
Giggle
Star Beast
Eve of the Daleks
Wild Blue Yonder
Power of the Doctor
Legend of the Sea Devils

Wild Blue Yonder
Giggle
Star Beast
Church on Ruby Road

I managed one season of the 13th before boycotting Chibnall and deciding that nothing he has had any hand in is canon.

Interesting. For me it would be:

Church on Ruby Road
Giggle
Star Beast
Eve of the Daleks
Wild Blue Yonder
Power of the Doctor
Legend of the Sea Devils

Eve of the Daleks (Simple groundhog day story. )
Star Beast (Could be number one but would have benefitted from less baggage.)
Wild Blue Yonder (Good apart from wierd Newton choices)
Church on Ruby row (Just about enjoyable fluff. A lot of stuff not my cup of tea but tolerable at Christmas)
The Giggle (Not Christmas yet. Too hand wavy)
Sea Devils (beats power of the Doctor by being unmemorable. I think there was a famous pirate in it.)
Power of the Doctor (Nostalgia and some good moments can't save this shit show)

I'm probably remembering my number one better than it was and last place worse. No coincidence three of my four lowest ranked had musical numbers. It could be four. The sea devils may have included Sideshow Bob performing the Pirates of Penzance for all I remember.
Eve of the Daleks had some kind of music coming from a radio I think. Maybe used similarly to the clock radio in groundhog day. I think it was used well.

Eve of the Daleks (Simple groundhog day story. )
Star Beast (Could be number one but would have benefitted from less baggage.)
Wild Blue Yonder (Good apart from wierd Newton choices)
Church on Ruby row (Just about enjoyable fluff. A lot of stuff not my cup of tea but tolerable at Christmas)
The Giggle (Not Christmas yet. Too hand wavy)
Sea Devils (beats power of the Doctor by being unmemorable. I think there was a famous pirate in it.)
Power of the Doctor (Nostalgia and some good moments can't save this shit show)

I'm probably remembering my number one better than it was and last place worse. No coincidence three of my four lowest ranked had musical numbers. It could be four. The sea devils may have included Sideshow Bob performing the Pirates of Penzance for all I remember.
Eve of the Daleks had some kind of music coming from a radio I think. Maybe used similarly to the clock radio in groundhog day. I think it was used well.
Well, all we asked for was a ranking. But the rage was an entertaining bonus.

Wild Blue Yonder
Giggle
Star Beast
Church on Ruby Road

I managed one season of the 13th before boycotting Chibnall and deciding that nothing he has had any hand in is canon.
Some good episodes in his run but once he started with the plot arcs it really squeezed the joy out of what could have been much better stories. There was an interesting but flawed story about the Cybermen and them hunting the last of humanity with what felt like some real stakes then they found a portal to Gallifrey and it all went to shit.

Wild Blue Yonder and Eve of the Daleks are the only two I remember liking. The rest were a mix of totally forgettable and memorably awful.

How’s that for curmudgeonly rage, danny?

Wild Blue Yonder and Eve of the Daleks are the only two I remember liking. The rest were a mix of totally forgettable and memorably awful.

How’s that for curmudgeonly rage, danny?
Wild Blue Yonder lost points for me for the wrong Donna bit at the end. Bailed out by the Tardis. Lazy. Weakest bit of Eve for me was also the Tardis' part in events. Fussy git innit.

7 specials in 2 years but no series.

When you say it out loud like that…

… stop fucking about with specials and make a decent bloody series again.

Interesting. I wouldn't say any of them are all-time greats, each flawed in one way or another, but enjoyed watching every single one bar Legend of the Sea Devils which is surely up there amongst the worst episodes ever. The lowest of many low Chibnall points, just about redeemed by Power of the Doctor.

The Giggle probably my favourite.

Back
Top Bottom