Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

Slightly (slightly) more info in this tease:

The Universe is playing a game with the Doctor and Donna, then.

Looks like they are getting AI to do their promo art.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 17.41.40.png

Has it been confirmed that the Toymaker is the Celestial Toymaker yet?

Last edited:
The only "classic" Doctor Who (I don't count the mooovie) I remember seeing on the original run was the scene of the baddies coming out of the water in The Curse of Fenric.

Ace would be heralded as "woke" if she debuted on the show nowadays. I think Peri made such a splash with her introduction, was willing to forgive the occasional duff episode. Plus her sparring chemistry with Colin Baker was a plus.
I really hated Ace - it was at least in part due to her very posh accent, and I mean I grew up in a village in Surrey ffs so I should have been used to it, but there was something offensive to me (very working class btw!) about portraying her as a posho who liked to blow stuff up (in a sort of "what have you got to be angry about?" way). I'd have liked her a lot more if she'd sounded less posh.

I don't know whether anyone else took that sort of view of her as a character. I just didn't find her a believable character at all.

I really hated Ace - it was at least in part due to her very posh accent, and I mean I grew up in a village in Surrey ffs so I should have been used to it, but there was something offensive to me (very working class btw!) about portraying her as a posho who liked to blow stuff up (in a sort of "what have you got to be angry about?" way). I'd have liked her a lot more if she'd sounded less posh.

I don't know whether anyone else took that sort of view of her as a character. I just didn't find her a believable character at all.
Afaik, her childhood was traumatic and troubled which may have some bearing on her actions.

The thing I noticed more than anything about watching Earthshock was just how posh / RP all the accents were (barring Tegan and Beryl Reid). I found it quite jarring.

And yes, that's one of the things that was wrong with Ace. It's like the writers wanted to create a completely different sort of companion but bottled out on key elements at the last minute so she really didn't work as a fully believable character.

Curse of Fenric is good, because it leads into the episodes where Syl and Sophie really start to do something with the characters. Setting the Doctor up as a machiavellian bastard. He's still good, he still cares, but he's a total bastard when it comes to getting his way and doesn't care a whit about the damage along the way. Syl's last series was one of the best in years because of it, but they'd already made up their minds about cancellation at that point.
Absolutely this. I love what they were doing with the Doctor at that point. The rumoured narrative for the next series would have carried it on even further (and is where we're getting the "sorry we fell out" references in the new content, I believe)

This is when The Doctor was hinted at being Merlin, at being more than just an average Timelord... imagine the fuss if they tried to retcon the character today and rework the origins...

This is when The Doctor was hinted at being Merlin, at being more than just an average Timelord... imagine the fuss if they tried to retcon the character today and rework the origins...
I think the difference is that the 7th doctor retcon added something to the mystery and mythos of the character without being too prescriptive about it, or completely changing what had come before. After all, being Merlin could easily fit into one of the existing doctors 1-7, in one of the narrative gaps that Big Finish use to set their stories. I always liked the idea of the doctor as a renegade from his society, bit of an outcast who stole a tardis - the timeless child concept utterly transforms him into something else, not a time lord, a mystery from another universe. To be fair it does build on some of the god-like aspects of the Doctor of modern Who from both RTD and Moffat but that's probably the aspect of the modern series I've most disliked.

I think the difference is that the 7th doctor retcon added something to the mystery and mythos of the character without being too prescriptive about it, or completely changing what had come before. After all, being Merlin could easily fit into one of the existing doctors 1-7, in one of the narrative gaps that Big Finish use to set their stories. I always liked the idea of the doctor as a renegade from his society, bit of an outcast who stole a tardis - the timeless child concept utterly transforms him into something else, not a time lord, a mystery from another universe. To be fair it does build on some of the god-like aspects of the Doctor of modern Who from both RTD and Moffat but that's probably the aspect of the modern series I've most disliked.
Its made them not gallifreyan ,the doctor is still a timelord as they went through the acadamy none of that changed.

You could actually make it's non-importance a plot point.

'It doesn't matter where you came from or who your parents were. It's the decisions you make that are important.'

'Are you talking about me, Doctor, or yourself?'

The Doctor makes a meaningful look

BAFTAs all round.

Nitpicking
Battlefield is explicit that it’s a future regeneration of the Doc who was Merlin.

Not explicitly bothered, a 60 year old show is bound to have the occasional unpopular arc (of infinity) and what's canon and what's not will forever be debated.

Part of the attraction.

Personally, nothing has been spoiled for this viewer.

(But then again, haven't seen the offending recent episodes!)

It's obviously all an elaborate lie cooked up by the Doctor to get the master to kill the Time Lords for them. They'd be too sad to have to do it all again.

Would be really into a new era where we don't have the Daleks or Cybermen for a few seasons. Like it was for a bit during the Baker or Davison era.

Provisional schedules show The Star Beast' may air at 6:30pm on BBC 1, with Unleashed (the Doctor Who Confidential replacement) at 7:30pm on BBC 3.

IMG_2888.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom