Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

Although this says rabies is the most deadly.

What Are the Top 10 Deadliest Viruses by Mortality Rate?
  1. Rabies virus: 100%
  2. Zaire Ebolavirus: 60-90%
  3. Marburg virus: 50-90%
  4. Nipah virus: 50-75%
  5. Sudan Ebolavirus: 40-60%
  6. Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): 38%
  7. Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV): 37%
  8. Smallpox: 33%
  9. Japanese Encephalitis: 30%
  10. Lassa Fever: 15-50%

How are you defining “deadliest” though?

It depends if we’re talking about mortality, morbidity, fatality ...

Although this says rabies is the most deadly.

What Are the Top 10 Deadliest Viruses by Mortality Rate?
  1. Rabies virus: 100%
  2. Zaire Ebolavirus: 60-90%
  3. Marburg virus: 50-90%
  4. Nipah virus: 50-75%
  5. Sudan Ebolavirus: 40-60%
  6. Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): 38%
  7. Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV): 37%
  8. Smallpox: 33%
  9. Japanese Encephalitis: 30%
  10. Lassa Fever: 15-50%

How are you defining “deadliest” though?

It depends if we’re talking about mortality, morbidity, fatality ...
Hence my initial post:
How do they calculate that anyway? The most contagious vs the highest mortality rare vs the most deaths? could be TB, could be HIV, could be Marberg. Not COVID-19 anyways

Just checked on the World-o-meters tally.

Covid-19 toll is currently 1,471,021 (that's as at 19:32 GMT on 30Nov2020).

and that appalling total shows little sign of stopping or even the rate slowing down, although the daily new cases has topped a rise and the 7-day rolling average appears to be tipping down, very slightly.

may have already been posted - i found this useful
Nadia Idle, Keir Milburn and Jeremy Gilbert are back to discuss the recent rise of conspiratorial thinking within New Age, spiritual and ‘wellness’ communities, and what implications this has for the Left, with music by David Bowie, Mark Stewart and Coki.

An old fellow clubber of mine has gone full loon antimask antivaxx qanon Bill-Gates-is-injecting-us-with-surveillance-nanobots. Now saying that the vaccine is this generation’s thalidomide and we should be very wary of taking it. Really biting my lip and refraining from posting ‘mate I’ve seen you eating floor pills and snorting mysterypowder in a dirty warehouse with no fire exits, get off that cloud’

An old fellow clubber of mine has gone full loon antimask antivaxx qanon Bill-Gates-is-injecting-us-with-surveillance-nanobots. Now saying that the vaccine is this generation’s thalidomide and we should be very wary of taking it. Really biting my lip and refraining from posting ‘mate I’ve seen you eating floor pills and snorting mysterypowder in a dirty warehouse with no fire exits, get off that cloud’
By choice

“. A study by University College London found that only 49 percent of people surveyed considered themselves very likely to get the vaccine when it became available, with as many as one-fifth of participants considering themselves to be unlikely or very unlikely to get vaccinated.”

I was polled on this. I made it clear at the end that the question was ambiguous. I answered that I was very unlikely to get vaccinated when it becomes available. Not because I don’t want to, but because there are other groups who will be vaccinated first. And I’m not at all convinced it will be made available to everyone as quickly as the questions implied.

So if that’s the same survey (and I think it is), there may have been others answering the way I did, not through anti vaxx sentiment, but the form and context of the question asked.

“. A study by University College London found that only 49 percent of people surveyed considered themselves very likely to get the vaccine when it became available, with as many as one-fifth of participants considering themselves to be unlikely or very unlikely to get vaccinated.”

I was polled on this. I made it clear at the end that the question was ambiguous. I answered that I was very unlikely to get vaccinated when it becomes available. Not because I don’t want to, but because there are other groups who will be vaccinated first. And I’m not at all convinced it will be made available to everyone as quickly as the questions implied.

So if that’s the same survey (and I think it is), there may have been others answering the way I did, not through anti vaxx sentiment, but the form and context of the question asked.

For the question to make sense, it should really say when it becomes available for me.

And given the likely priorities it will be quite a while before it's
available to those near the bottom of this list, far less those not on it all.

Who will get the Covid vaccine first?

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has advised that people are given the vaccine in the following order, although there is likely to be some overlap between groups:
  1. residents in a care home for older adults, and their carers
  2. everyone aged 80 and over, and frontline health and social care workers
  3. everyone aged 75 and over
  4. everyone aged 70 and over, and those who are clinically extremely vulnerable
  5. everyone aged 65 and over
  6. people aged 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and death from Covid-19
  7. everyone aged 60 and over
  8. everyone aged 55 and over
  9. everyone aged 50 and over

For the question to make sense, it should really say when it becomes available for me.

And given the likely priorities it will be quite a while before it's
available to those near the bottom of this list, far less those not on it all.

Who will get the Covid vaccine first?

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has advised that people are given the vaccine in the following order, although there is likely to be some overlap between groups:
  1. residents in a care home for older adults, and their carers
  2. everyone aged 80 and over, and frontline health and social care workers
  3. everyone aged 75 and over
  4. everyone aged 70 and over, and those who are clinically extremely vulnerable
  5. everyone aged 65 and over
  6. people aged 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and death from Covid-19
  7. everyone aged 60 and over
  8. everyone aged 55 and over
  9. everyone aged 50 and over

I'm kind of hoping I get in group 6 rather than group 10 (I get the free flu jab, well, am eligible for it).

I'm kind of hoping I get in group 6 rather than group 10 (I get the free flu jab, well, am eligible for it).
I get the flu jab every year, but although early on in the pandemic the news kept saying that meant this that or the next thing would apply to me, none of it ever did. I was higher risk, but didn’t qualify for supermarket delivery priority back when a slot couldn’t be had for live nor money. So I sat at home running low on food and worrying.

I can’t see this being any different.

Back
Top Bottom