Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

So...Occ health assessment happened. I went in wearing an n95 mask. Dr says "you're perfectly safe here..you can remove your mask"...gesturing to the open window 5 feet behind him and the fan blowing air (and any potential air droplets) towards me..
" I'll keep it on...if its all the same to you...thanks" says I.
He didn't like that...
Within 30 seconds he got a fit of coughing.. this went on through the assessment. He tried to cough into his elbow but didn't .

I don't think I read it here, but several anecdotes of hospitals insisting people remove their high spec masks when entering hospitals and replacing them with crappy ones - and one immuno-compromised patient waking in the night to find a staff member trying to do that to them...

I'm sorry to say that I have of late become very reluctant to have anything to do with the medical profession - but I am in the fortunate position of having near-perfect health ...

I don't think I read it here, but several anecdotes of hospitals insisting people remove their high spec masks when entering hospitals and replacing them with crappy ones - and one immuno-compromised patient waking in the night to find a staff member trying to do that to them...

I'm sorry to say that I have of late become very reluctant to have anything to do with the medical profession - but I am in the fortunate position of having near-perfect health ...

I recently had an angiogram. I wore my own n95 mask throughout my stay in the hospital. Nobody blinked an eye or commented...
Having said that, I did have to ask a nurse to sanitise her hands before she put in a line...after she has wiped her nose with her hand.

Wouldn't get that on BUPA.
I have health insurance ..they paid the bill...for her snot and all.
€950
I was billed for a bed as an inpatient..despite being an outpatient and not having a bed..I was on a reclining chair all the time except for when I went into the cath lab for the angio.

I thought the majority of Brits were vaccinated. Even Tories have loved ones they want to protect, or just don't want to get ill.

I took part in a clinical trial for a vaccine and I reent being treated like I'm a stupid little girl who can't make her own choices. I'm not going to be told by a retired footballer or the bloke out of the Corrs what to do with my life. I made an informed choice to take part in the trial, I wasn't being brainwashed or forced. Bodily autonomy goes both ways. You can't go on about bodily autonomy and then stop other people from getting the jab.

Speaking of which, I hate how anti-vaxxers always assume that if anyone under 50 dies, it's because of the 'clot shot'. They even did it with Priscilla Presley, despite her being a coke addict from a family with a history of heart problems and her death being far more likely due to that. The worst was when a young goalkeeper, Fin Bowen, died and Mickleover (the club he played for) didn't say how, they put a statement out about his death, but they mentioned the word 'sudden' and antivaxx twats were all over it and claiming the jab killed him. We don't even know if he WAS jabbed, but these idiots just assumed he had a bad reaction to the vaccine. Sudden Adult Death Syndrome isn't new either, I've got a magazine from 2007 with an article about a woman whose husband died of it, I remember other cases happening long before COVID as well. It's not a new thing.
Daniel Yorath ( Terry's son / Gabby's sibling) died from a cardiac related Sudden adult death syndrome type thing in 1994

This is a bit special :eek:

Those moments with a student that remind us why we do this. (a small win)​

As many of you likely know, science literacy in the US population is pretty low, as is trust in scientists. Bummer. I have a lot of feelings about this that I won't go into here, except to say that although politicians, bullshit artists and popular culture play a large role in fomenting mistrust, Scientists and scientific communicators haven't done a great job winning hearts and minds. We have work to do.
ANYWAY, teaching the lymphatic system and immunity right now. There is a particular student who is far right conservative and advertises this on clothing, with certain remarks, etc. No problem there, but I wondered if this unit might result in some dissent or debate from her, as I had heard her refer to the COVID vaccine derisively. So I am at the point in the lecture where we are talking about acquired immunity and going over antigen presentation, how viruses work, what antibodies are and how they work, etc. I tend to anthropomorphize a bit here because telling it as a narrative helps students grasp it better and examples provide better context.
So this student raises her hand and asks "ok so then why even vaccinate if we have all this already on board? and why did COVID require this "new" vaccine if the old ones are supposed to be so great (here she rolled her eyes)."
So we talked through all the steps from transmission of virus to new host, virus sneaking into cells, what viruses do in cells, and just carried the story the rest of the way through. This culminated in the time versus amount graph showing concentration of antibodies rising slowly and with a latency period on one line, and antibody titer exploding upon a second exposure to the same antigen.
So she says "it would be cool if we could just go straight to the steeper line and not have to do the flatter line first."
So I say, "that is actually how vaccines work. you make the immune system aware of the virus or whatever without getting you sick, so if you are exposed, the second line happens."
She counters with "but people are all talking about how bad they feel after getting the vaccine, that means it doesn't work right?"
So then we talked about inflammatory cytokines, pyrogens, and what they do. The symptoms post vaccine are evidence that your immune system is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
So here's the win: She sent me an email the next day with the subject line "about the jab" I braced myself. In the email, she said that anti vaccine attitudes in her family and social group informed her attitude to them, but she had never heard an explanation outside angry internet rhetoric and people calling anti-vax and vaccine hesitant people stupid, ignorant, etc. mocking them for being uneducated, etc. She hadn't had anyone answer her questions calmly, politely, and thoroughly, and without political spin on it. She said that she's still curious about other vaccine fears like thimerosal, lots of them close together etc. but that I had changed her mind about them, and that she was going to try to get her husband to come around on the issue as well. Would I mind recording my explanation so she could show her husband? she couldn't articulate is well yet because she just learned it. She was concerned about her kids now."

When I say I was stunned....... I was gobsmacked. I expected an angry diatribe and I got the above. This was a little "oh yeah I make a difference" moment in my teaching and also a really good reminder not to make assumptions about people.
YAY SCIENCE!

I was wondering if anyone knew of recent and comprehensive studies on the effectiveness and safety of the Covid vaccine. I'm running into an increasing number of people who claim they were adversely affected. They're describing things like strokes, blood clots, and aggressive cancers which occurred soon after uptake of the vaccine. While I listen to anecdotal accounts, I'd like the see some studies. The MRNA vaccines have been out long enough to assess results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom