Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

BMJ is BMJ.

It is interesting to see of the you tube comentarite how concious of the US market their contnet is. Brand goes out of his wya to be respectful of Trump voters -what strand is that - the lot that wanted Sanders in the Primary and the Trump rather than CLinton

Fuck me, there are some gullible people in this country ...
The utter ballcoxs in some of the posts on VVVVV makes me wonder if the UK's education system teaches anything at all.
It certainly seems to omit developing the skill of critical thinking, never mind actual spelling ...

Call me cynical, but I think the main role of education is to get children used to following instructions and turning up on time. Basics like reading and some numeracy help as they're required for most jobs. Critical thinking for all is an extravagance and you don't really want the working class to have the ability to deconstruct the media and ruling ideology.

I give spelling a much easier ride. Its only because of spell check and google for the words spellcheck can't even recognise that you can read my posts.

Call me cynical, but I think the main role of education is to get children used to following instructions and turning up on time. Basics like reading and some numeracy help as they're required for most jobs. Critical thinking for all is an extravagance and you don't really want the working class to have the ability to deconstruct the media and ruling ideology.

I give spelling a much easier ride. Its only because of spell check and google for the words spellcheck can't even recognise that you can read my posts.

OH used to - before retirement - teach science to "A" level.
Those subjects required the better students to have at least some critical thinking techniques.

And some ability to follow instructions isn't such a bad thing [driving, for example]
IMO, the best trick to learn is the ability to assess how & when to make the choice between following and refusing instructions.
And when to spot you are being scammed or conned by politicians & other charlatans ...

OH used to - before retirement - teach science to "A" level.
Those subjects required the better students to have at least some critical thinking techniques.

And some ability to follow instructions isn't such a bad thing [driving, for example]
IMO, the best trick to learn is the ability to assess how & when to make the choice between following and refusing instructions.
And when to spot you are being scammed or conned by politicians & other charlatans ...
A quick search and the data is about 10 years old. Around 10% of UK students start a science AS course. https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/426646/A_level_subject_take-up.pdf

Its a minority that even get shown how to critically appraise anything.

He's such a fucking twat.
I see people are liking this but I really don't think he is being in this one. Particuarly if the journalism isn in the articles he is reading holds up. Within the articles narritive seems to me stuff worth taking in to account. I even get missing context as a flag. In the hands of the type people who get worked up about things like hydrogen dioxide such pier reviewed stuff could play into confirmation bias more than the harzards outlined within the BMJ. deserve. The issue to though on that is the 'news blog' part of it. The missing context arguement only really works with missing context if BMJ is seen as as a trade journal. And a trade journl of sufficent predigree that you'd think twice on artibration of truth if, as they appear to have done, they get into a pissing contest with Johnny Come lately Meta.
Meta's previous incarnation was so bad at truth arbitration they got implicated in a genocide (Myanmar) and countless other things. So bad in fact they were willing to spend 20million on the name alone to get away from being Facebook. Its good that they are making an effort on facct checking and stuff but room for some fine tuning

I see people are liking this but I really don't think he is being in this one. Particuarly if the journalism isn in the articles he is reading holds up. Within the articles narritive seems to me stuff worth taking in to account. I even get missing context as a flag. In the hands of the type people who get worked up about things like hydrogen dioxide such pier reviewed stuff could play into confirmation bias more than the harzards outlined within the BMJ. deserve. The issue to though on that is the 'news blog' part of it. The missing context arguement only really works with missing context if BMJ is seen as as a trade journal. And a trade journl of sufficent predigree that you'd think twice on artibration of truth if, as they appear to have done, they get into a pissing contest with Johnny Come lately Meta.
Meta's previous incarnation was so bad at truth arbitration they got implicated in a genocide (Myanmar) and countless other things. So bad in fact they were willing to spend 20million on the name alone to get away from being Facebook. Its good that they are making an effort on facct checking and stuff but room for some fine tuning

I don't believe for one second that Facebook/Meta are at all serious in their attempts at fighting disinformation. They surely must know by now that the tinfoilers consider it a badge of honour to have their posts labelled with such "missing context" and "misleading information" warnings.

If Zuck and his underlings were genuinely serious about fighting this crap, then they wouldn't just slap on ineffectual warnings, but they would actually prevent such shit from being posted/shared in the first place. The labels prove that they can identify such misinformation, so it shouldn't be too hard, and it's not as if Facebook have ever given a shit about false positives in the past.

I mean it's public knowledge that 19 out of 20 American Christian groups on Facebook are being run by people outside the US

The only conclusion that can reasonably be drawn is that Facebook/Meta cares more about maintaining "engagement" over preventing the spread of misinformation and radicalisation sponsored by government agencies.

I don't believe for one second that Facebook/Meta are at all serious in their attempts at fighting disinformation. They surely must know by now that the tinfoilers consider it a badge of honour to have their posts labelled with such "missing context" and "misleading information" warnings.

If Zuck and his underlings were genuinely serious about fighting this crap, then they wouldn't just slap on ineffectual warnings, but they would actually prevent such shit from being posted/shared in the first place. The labels prove that they can identify such misinformation, so it shouldn't be too hard, and it's not as if Facebook have ever given a shit about false positives in the past.

I mean it's public knowledge that 19 out of 20 American Christian groups on Facebook are being run by people outside the US

The only conclusion that can reasonably be drawn is that Facebook/Meta cares more about maintaining "engagement" over preventing the spread of misinformation and radicalisation sponsored by government agencies.
If a tiny board like this - albeit one with 17.5 million posts - can keep covid quackery and tinfoil titillation at bay when there's only a handful of unpaid mods, it makes it obvious that Facebook doesn't give a flying fuck about anything other than driving user engagement, sucking up lucrative data and profiting from advertising.

I think the company should face criminal charges for the damage they've done.

If a tiny board like this - albeit one with 17.5 million posts - can keep covid quackery and tinfoil titillation at bay when there's only a handful of unpaid mods, it makes it obvious that Facebook doesn't give a flying fuck about anything other than driving user engagement, sucking up lucrative data and profiting from advertising.

And Youtube.
I know the really nasty shit has gone elsewhere ... and I never bothered much about the chemtrails and HAARP, but I went searching for "graphene oxide" the other day and there's some dreadful stuff there ...

Most days they recommend obvious far right Covid disinformation to me ..

They really do come across as the C21st tabaco company. Tabacco companies famously added additional nicotine to their products purely because of nicotines addictive qualitiy. Some of the stuff that's come out about FB's efforts to drive user engagement purely, as you say so they can suck up lucrative data and profit from advertising

Last edited:
And Youtube.
I know the really nasty shit has gone elsewhere ... and I never bothered much about the chemtrails and HAARP, but I went searching for "graphene oxide" the other day and there's some dreadful stuff there ...

Most days they recommend obvious far right Covid disinformation to me ..
Its worth doing regular cookie wipes to reset algorythms. Sorry if any links I've posted have contributed to any unwanted rabbit holes appear, though the spectrum of opinion on these boards is wide enough to have provided me with some unexpected rabbit holes of my own over the years, some of which I've found interesting.

Its worth doing regular cookie wipes to reset algorythms. Sorry if any links I've posted have contributed to any unwanted rabbit holes appear, though the spectrum of opinion on these boards is wide enough to have provided me with some unexpected rabbit holes of my own over the years, some of which I've found interesting.
The thing is I generally LIKE their suggestions and it's not many as I make sure to follow channels I like.

Yeah, on the positive side, I don't really know any anti-vaxxers/"truthers" very well any more except for those two family people. I've developed a strict no-tolerance policy, but then I'm lucky not to have had a close friend or partner go down that route. I know there are others in that predicament and it must be really tough.

Rolling a trucking convoy across the UK can never be that exciting. You just can't truck all day, and all truck all night if you start in Leeds and your destination is London.

Anyway, the song brings back memories.

Rolling a trucking convoy across the UK can never be that exciting. You just can't truck all day, and all truck all night if you start in Leeds and your destination is London.

Anyway, the song brings back memories.

Don't read the comments; Never read the comments 🥶

Back
Top Bottom