Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

There were plenty of examples of grass roots efforts to respond to the pandemic appropriately. Often with the right priorities, unlike your feeble and superficial bullshit.

I havent looked for much analysis of this online but there seems to be some here and there.

Some of that does deal with states using the opportunity to expand their powers, and I would agree that was not a main topic of focus here. Public health priorities tended to trump such stuff, and u75 is not an anarchist hotbed, at best there is some soft anarchism or things that have some stuff in common with anarchism.

Plus one of the aspects of peoples response to the pandemic that most cheered me was peoples ability to take matters into their own hands on the occasions where it became rather obvious to the majority that the authorities were far too slow to act. eg the 'results of lockdown' were often seen more quickly than expected, because many people modified their own behaviours some time in advance of the late official mandates.

If the government had not been prepared to u-turn relatively quickly on a large number of pandemic occasions, we may have seen more dramatic examples of people taking matters into their own hands.

Thank the gods we have you here to deliver us from fakes, phonies and sheeples

And hypocrites and turncoats and enablers of petty tyrants. And mockers and jeerers who are too afraid of being ostracised from their little online buble to speak out against what is happening. And those that would claim to be anti-establishment in one breath, only to leap to the support of the most powerful in the next.

And hypocrites and turncoats and enablers of petty tyrants. And mockers and jeerers who are too afraid of being ostracised from their little online buble to speak out against what is happening. And those that would claim to be anti-establishment in one breath, only to leap to the support of the most powerful in the next.

You seem very confused.

What is happening, out of curiosity?

Emergency powers are being enacted that may never be repealed. The technological infrastructure neccessary for total control over the population is being built. Legislation such as the online harms bill, and the policing bill are being pushed for that will increase the power of the state over the individual. The general mood on both left an right is one of anti-liberty, with free speech being a derisable concept for many. All of these small things added together make me feel like a frog slowely being boiled. Time to jump out.

Emergency powers are being enacted that may never be repealed. The technological infrastructure neccessary for total control over the population is being built. Legislation such as the online harms bill, and the policing bill are being pushed for that will increase the power of the state over the individual. The general mood on both left an right is one of anti-liberty, with free speech being a derisable concept for many. All of these small things added together make me feel like a frog slowely being boiled. Time to jump out.

What's that got to do with masks and vaccines?

It's hardly the DPRK or China, though, is it? Not saying you shouldn't be wary of complacency, of course but is it really the thin end of the wedge?

I really hope you're right. And I guess we all have differing levels of sensitivity to the threat existing from the possibility of authoritarian capture. My general assumption is that if the tech exists, and the motivation to prevent it isn't strong enough, then there is no reason why we wouldn't go down the route of China over time. Salami slice by salami slice, of course.

I really hope you're right. And I guess we all have differing levels of sensitivity to the threat existing from the possibility of authoritarian capture. My general assumption is that if the tech exists, and the motivation to prevent it isn't strong enough, then there is no reason why we wouldn't go down the route of China over time. Salami slice by salami slice, of course.

So what would be their plan? Because conservative ideology tilts more towards libertarian due to them wanting a free market.

China and North Korea are something to be avoided, but their own recent histories involve massive loss of life through domestic upheavals, invasions, civil wars and the like, followed by decades of control from the top, wall to wall propaganda and brainwashing and an overarching police state. We've got nothing to be proud of or be complacent about but we're a long way from all that.

So what would be their plan? Because conservative ideology tilts more towards libertarian due to them wanting a free market.

I don't really see things in terms of plans so much as convergent interests across multiple sectors. The system we live under is largely emergent. Power has it's own logic that pushes institutions down a particular path, just as the profit-drive pushes 'private' sector interests down particular paths. No coordination or conspiracy needed.

I put the word 'private' in quotes above because at some point the private and public spheres are no longer separate. The rotating door between government, social media, finance and big pharma is too profitable for many to resist. Then the public and private operate as one, interconnected system. A mesh of power rather than a pyramid.

Back
Top Bottom