Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

Inappropriate Content
I get the impression that young mothers are highly likely to be anti-vax loons and do my best to give them a very wide berth
(perhaps my impression is wrong but there it is)

hyperbole (?) time...

can anyone else not feel the darkness descending on democracy., on the discourse?

forget your usual gripes with right wingers, over tax reform or labour laws, or immigration, or culture wars.

something else is going on and it feels like a creeping darkness descending over every nook and cranny of the west.

hte new culture wars are, well, new, with atomised lunacy everywhere. it's like we are all now in seperate membranes of little in groups, contained, some more rational and humane than others. its like their is tidal waves of garbage everywhere and some of hte mebranes are growing and swelling because they believe the garbage is good food or some such shit.

think of when we had five or six papers - the mail, telegraph, guardian, mirror, the sun, the times and with them a discourse based in or about reality. we read the paper and put it down and just thought about everything without any sort of monitised distraction.

something is happening.

i probably sound like some sort of conspiracy theoriest lol roflpmsl

another sleight of hand i have picked up by grifters pushing this shit is the "hmmmmmmm interesting" trick. A handy way of keeping the bile running without actually taking a stance. Up there with "hey, guys, I'm just asking questions" or "lets have both sides of teh debate". frame emotionality and baseless projected paranoia as a "debate".

Well waves of woe come in many forms, and people have their own interpretations of how heavy they are.

I was especially affected mentally by the 'war on terror' version. If I had been born some years earlier or later, or my life and mood and hopes and fears and what sort of attention I was paying to things had different timing, then it could easily have been the austerity years or the Thatcher years/death of 'post war consensus'/rampant social conservatism and reheated cold war paranoia periods that broke my spirit instead.

There are a bunch of major issues to deal with this century, and there is a lot of baggage from the past and long shadows cast by the past. But the priorities and failings of the establishment are not new, there is a certain consistency even when the superficial signs may not seem to resemble what has gone before. The paranoid strain of US politics isnt new either, there is a very long history of that stuff but admittedly the internet gave such elements new found reach. Even so, that horrible mindsets impact on politics around the globe isnt brand new, and I could probably build a case that particular forms of paranoid and ugly politics have had global impact for the entire time the USA has been interested in throwing its weight around in terms of global power, and the entire atomic age.

New bullshit can be alarming, but probably still a good to consider that in many cases it fills a gap where old bullshit died out, including with the passing of generations and their scars and hangups and narrow beliefs as new generations emerge with fresh ways to malfunction. And I think its important to remember the old humbug that no longer works, and not just think about the new humbug as being piled on top of all the old shit, suffocating us to new depths. The culture wars are one example, they exist in part because in so many important and meaningful ways, social conservatives lost a lot of battles in various countries in recent decades, and the culture wars are a desperate attempt by them to find new ways to win. In amny cases they still struggle to gain a foothold, it isnt working out too well for them, and so their cries become more desperate and vulgar.

I learnt may things from the war on terror era, including how to get the balance in my mind good enough that I would not be utterly eaten alive by paranoia. I have learnt the importance of paying attention to the terrible shit, but also the need to find hope in all the places that it can always be found, in order that I not end up utterly crushed and distorted into that which I hate. I reached the brink back then, but somehow I got through it and came out the other side without a dodgy worldview sticking, and a strange paranoid turn I made during the darkest days meant I rather randomly ended up learning about pandemic detail that seemed paranoid and useless at the time but actually came in handy all these years later! I did have to tune my filters via a mix of success and failure to make sure my instincts for which dots to join and which to ditch ended up productive rather than deranged. This pandemic was perhaps the first real major test of whether I had succeeded or failed, and I think I ended up getting it right to a much greater extent than I dared hope in the untested years before this pandemic.

One thing that has certainly changed compared to a stifling decade or two not so long ago, the 'acceptable boundaries' of mainstream politics have widened again somewhat, the very narrow 'middle ground' (that never really was in the middle) got broader and plenty of the population sense that the possibilities of the left and the right are back in play. Its happening gradually in countries like the UK, but particular movements and events can provide more rapid periods of momentum which can certainly seem alarming if the forces in question are the opposite of our own political preferences.

Last edited:
listen to Conspiritulity, Decoding the Gurus, and Qanon Annonymous for some truly terrifying deep dives into this shit.

Do you think you're listening to too much of that sort of stuff? You'd said before about your concern of the darkness descending on democracy.

If you spend all your time looking at the misguided and misinformed, it's easy to forget that most people aren't like that.

There's a big fucking difference between pregnant women being hesitate towards vaccines, due to concerns about their babies and your suggestion that "young mothers are highly likely to be anti-vax loons".

And the NHS and some other organisations (as well as some cultural/societal stuff around women and pregnancy) take some of the blame for the hesitancy of some pregnant women, the lack of clarity and messaging has (and is still a bit) really bad.

dickhead, you know pregnant women were initially advised against being vaccinated?

Some health professionals are, or certainly were up to a few weeks ago, still advising against it.

Pregnant women are being advised by some health professionals not to have the Covid vaccine despite an edict from the NHS that they should encourage them to get the jab. One in six of the most critically ill Covid patients requiring life-saving care are unvaccinated pregnant women, figures released last week show.

There's a big fucking difference between pregnant women being hesitate towards vaccines, due to concerns about their babies and your suggestion that "young mothers are highly likely to be anti-vax loons".

And the articles are saying that pregnant mothers were being told by their midvives not to be vaccinated. It's not right to blame the mums in that situation

I've never seen or read them either. I always find going through Kings Cross and seeing the queue of people waiting to stand next to the trolley handle stuck to the gift shop wall is more than enough to steel my resolve to continue to avoid them.
you are an adult human being, there's no reason at all for you to be any more than vaguely aware of them as a thing kids are into, like peppa pig, dabbing and glow in the dark slime.

Back
Top Bottom