Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Detail your latest clothes and slap related purchases here #2

I asked the same question a page or so up.. they have a sizing chart for off the peg and obviously MTM is MTM.. but I'd be interested to see how Spangles rates the off the peg for sizeability too.
i'll have a better idea when i get those frocks. the one i bought on ebay was very, very small on the boobs, and not so small on the waist - but a bit loose on the back.

i'll have a better idea when i get those frocks. the one i bought on ebay was very, very small on the boobs, and not so small on the waist - but a bit loose on the back.

hmmm.. but I have small boobs and a big waist... :mad: not your lovely hourglass. Anyway - hope it fits well. I did have a look and they had some nice dresses - wouldn't mind treating myself.

Let us know. Sizing is so variable. Looking at their chart, I should be a size 14 but I'm a 12 everywhere else ATM .

pretty much what they say - one inch above the upper end of their measurement table. importantly, almost all their fabrics have no 'give' at all, so you can't take any liberties that way.
An inch would make a massive difference, tbh, and would put me firmly in a 12 (waist is 28.5). :hmm:

ah, but it's more like vivien of holloway/vintage sizing.

VoH is smaller again I think. You need to go up 2 sizes there I think, which is what I find when I buy proper vintage - my last purchase was a sixties lace dress which is a size 16. :)

VoH is smaller again I think. You need to go up 2 sizes there I think, which is what I find when I buy proper vintage - my last purchase was a sixties lace dress which is a size 16. :)
it depends on your shape. i'm only one size diff at VoH.

In other size-related madness, I tried on the same outfit in a high-street shop yesterday but in different colours. The green one was a good two inches bigger on the waist in the same size than the black one. :confused:

When I worked for Dorothy Perkins in the sixties a size 16 was 38 bust 28 waist and 40 hips. A 28 waist is around a size 10 these days. I was about a size 14 in the sixties. I'm a size 10 now but roughly weigh the same as I did then :D

In other size-related madness, I tried on the same outfit in a high-street shop yesterday but in different colours. The green one was a good two inches bigger on the waist in the same size than the black one. :confused:

That has to be a mislabelled item.

When I worked for Dorothy Perkins in the sixties a size 16 was 38 bust 28 waist and 40 hips. A 28 waist is around a size 10 these days. I was about a size 14 in the sixties. I'm a size 10 now but roughly weigh the same as I did then :D
That's a size 10 or 12 on the waist, but more like a 14 on the bust and hips.

That's a size 10 or 12 on the waist, but more like a 14 on the bust and hips.
Yes, it's the waist that seems to have got bigger in fashion sizes over the years. Also, back in the 60's I seem to remember sizes being very accurate. Working for DP's though (it was a privately owned company in those days) I bought most of my clothes from there so I'm basing a lot on what they did.

Yes, it's the waist that seems to have got bigger in fashion sizes over the years. Also, back in the 60's I seem to remember sizes being very accurate. Working for DP's though (it was a privately owned company in those days) I bought most of my clothes from there so I'm basing a lot on what they did.
That's because it's waist sizes that have increased the most in real people! Back in the forties and fifties it was normal to have a 25 inch waist. The trend now is for people to go in less at the waist or be apple-shaped. Although boobs have got bigger too.

That's because it's waist sizes that have increased the most in real people! Back in the forties and fifties it was normal to have a 25 inch waist.<snip>

Then again, fewer women who aren't overweight now would want to wear the type of waist defining corsetry which was worn every day in the 40s and 50s (even by women who were size 10 or smaller).

Then again, fewer women who aren't overweight now would want to wear the type of waist defining corsetry which was worn every day in the 40s and 50s (even by women who were size 10 or smaller).

True, and of course we are now taller and have bigger frames due to better nutrition. :)

Animal print's a neutral, right? ;)

One monokini, one bikini, one tankini, and one very short excuse of a sarong (matching the bikini). Thus end my purchases of less practical swimwear until at least next year.
ntrl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom