Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your oldest article of clothing still in regular use?

I'm currently wearing an Eden Sessions t-shirt I probably got in 2003.

It has a square faded patch from where it was left neatly folded under a sunbeam from the dormer window in my mum's attic for about four years.

Actually apart from the Barbour like jacket I also have a SIDI, sort of plastic, bike jacket that I bought when I started riding motorcycles, I still have it and wear it when rain would otherwise spoil play. It is now 42 years old.

An oversized hand knit (not by me or for me) jumper I've had since the early 90's. Still gets a lot of wear. If it hasn't disintegrated by then, I probably should be buried in it.

I regularly wear some of my grandmothers jackets - dating to the 50’s, if not the 40’s. And I’m sitting here in tracksuit bottoms and vest (both circa 2022) and a cashmere cardigan of my grandfathers (rough guess, it’s thirty or so years old).

I don’t throw out clothes, but I have a lot so they rarely wear out either. I have a storage unit that is packed with things that I don’t wear right now, but some things come out sometimes and newer things go there. I keep an up to date inventory.

I've got a button down Oxford from I think 1999 that I still wear. It has holes that I sort of fixed.

View attachment 389024
That looks precarious. I’d get it fixed properly before it turns into a proper tear that can’t be fixed. It’ll only cost a few pounds. Otherwise, you’ll be reaching out for something one day and instantly turn that old favourite shirt into your next dusters.

Possibly my Nomeansno t-shirt, bought when I saw them live in 2007.

I also have two pairs of Clarks heels from around the same time, still in regular rotation.

Over 20 years ago I had fitted, and bought a pair of running trainers. I wore them every day for two or three years, and regularly since. This year they've finally given up the ghost. They were very expensive at the time but have worked out the best value for money shoes I've ever owned.

A Custo cardigan and dress. I was working for Shellys in Spain so these were bought between 1996 and 1998. The cardigan is a bit thin and I've repaired it a few times, the dress is ok apart from the back neck label is snagging the fabric. I had a lot more Custo and I regret selling most of it tbh.IMG_8717.jpeg

Back when I was still a skinhead, (upto 2012), I regularly wore a 1960s Burberry Commuter Mac, Levi Sta-prest trousers (Empire made labe)l so no later than 1971. A Corduroy Levi Big E jacket, so no later than 1971, a pink John Wood button down shirt 1972 and a Nayytex Gingham Check button down shirt 1974 at the latest and over the years lots from the same era. These days the oldest is a few years old, 7/8 at most

don't you love the smell of waxed cotton? I do :D I don't care what anyone says they genuinely are the bees knees for keeping you warm and dry, even when mine leaked cos it need rewaxed it kept me warm :)
My waxed jacket is Belstaff (about 10 years old), so hopefully without the Sloan Ranger connotations. The problem here in the tropics is that stuff ends up smelling very musty..and the Belstaff, frankly, stinks. I guess soapy water is the way to go before I use it next.

I have a 30 year old t shirt that I still wear, mostly as a pyjama top. It's got a photo of my old dog (got him when i was 6, used to wear the tee as a nightie) on it. Also a 22 year old pair of shorts cut off from a pair of tracksuit bottoms I got at school, that are the most comfortable thing I own. I will wear them until they fall to shreds (on the way not not there yet).

It’s hot here and I was wondering what to wear with a new linen shirt..and I found my old white jeans at the bottom of a wardrobe. I bought them at the Paul Smith sale shop in about 1994…and I can still squeeze into them! ( they must have stretched)

My oldest Rab jacket is probably 24 years old; now every fucker has got one. Warm though.

A couple of months ago I threw away my theatre company T-shirt from 1981. No way was it going to survive another wash. Everything else is less than 25 years old at most.

My waxed jacket is Belstaff (about 10 years old), so hopefully without the Sloan Ranger connotations.

:eek: Are you kidding?

Belstaff out-Sloans Barbour by some distance, and is 2 or 3 times more expensive.

It was originally a British motorcycle clothing brand but got bought by an Italian company in the 80s who made it a serious fashion label. It's back in British ownership now but still posher than the queen.

Last edited:

Belstaff out-Sloans Barbour by some distance, and is 2 or 3 times more expensive.

It was originally a British motorcycle clothing brand but got bought by an Italian company in the 80s who made it a serious fashion label. It's back in British ownership now but still posher than the queen.
My goodness, one has never been called “posher than the queen” before. My husband and I thank you for your kind words.

I was steam cleaning a lot of older garments today. Then spent an age rubbing black leather food into a jacket I bought in 1992. It’s gone from sail stiff to supple.
A sheepskin coat I never liked came up well with the steam and fits my youngest.

Belstaff used to be rank. Cracked waxed tarpaulin like fabric that let the rain in and offered no protection in a crash. I hated it.

Can I rock the leather jacket at my age? It’s not a definite no. I don’t wear leather trousers unless on a motorcycle. I last wore my straight jean cut pair when I was about thirty five. Still have them though.

Back
Top Bottom