Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your oldest article of clothing still in regular use?

I've got one black Diesel shirt that was quite shiny when I bought it but is very faded now but still going strong, fitted and still looks good. The wife likes to see me in it even. That is definitely thirty years old. One of the priciest items I ever bought but got my money's worth by now.

I have a pair of DMs . The only pair I have kept. I am pretty sure I got them in the late 80s. Pascals. Flowery ones.

Also a woollen waist coat with embroidery from 1995 from Laura Ashley. Still fits.

I dread to think...

A good number of my shirts/t-shirts I've had since uni, so they're coming up to 20 years. Suspect I have a few things from my teens too, though.

Oh! I have a hoody that used to be my dad's and I definitely remember him wearing it when I was a kid. So that could well be from the 80s, or possibly earlier if he had it before I was born.

(We are also rather different shapes, so a bit curious it fit both of us... :hmm: )

i have a jumper with a design on it reminiscent of the earliest iteration of Space Invaders.I have not only owned this jumper since the early 1980s it is almost certainly the garment i have worn more than any other in all the intervening years.Perfect for the garden:)

I own the sum total of about 6 t-shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, summer joggers, winter joggers (I don't like wearing joggers but they are useful for when I am grubbing about in the woods looking at grubs), a couple of fleeces and 2 jackets. Half of that was given to me by my mum.
Oh and some undies and a couple of sets of jimjams.
A pair of paint splattered trainers (which are about 15 years old and leak) and a pair of walking boots from Lidl.

Oldest item is either the trainers, or a Red Bull Air Race t-shirt which OH keeps trying to nick despite the fact he has about 200 t-shirts.

Used to have some white trainer socks that I got for Christmas in 1984, but they finally got binned last winter.

Title now goes to a plain 1970s tracky top that I got from a charity shop in 1995. It's quite slim-fitting, and after a few years when it was too tight, I was chuffed to lose enough weight to start wearing it again.

Oldest item is either the trainers, or a Red Bull Air Race t-shirt which OH keeps trying to nick despite the fact he has about 200 t-shirts.
I do admire getting by on so few clothes. When I’m working on ships I get by with 5 sets of shirts/undies/socks, but that’s because I access to a reliable laundry and even then I get anxious.
(Google says red bull air race started 2003. I have yet to try red bull)

Last edited:
Actually I don't want what I just posted to be common knowledge so have edited it out and replace it with this:
Getting by on few clothes is not something to admire, it's a bad financial situation.

I’m sorry for being flippant. 😳 It’s like that boots theory about not having the money to buy good boots and buying cheap ones that don’t last and ending up spending more..see all the 100 year old Barbour jackets up-thread…not my cup of test but they were pricy but last for ever.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for being flippant. 😳 I feel bad now. Can I send you socks? It’s like that boots theory about not having the money to buy good boots and buying cheap ones that don’t last and ending up spending more..see all the 100 year old Barbour jackets up-thread…not my cup of test but they were pricy but last for ever.

Thank you for the offer, but I'll manage - I do appreciate it and sorry to have brought the thread down a bit - having a difficult time tonight, thank you for being understanding and kind :)

Thank you for the offer, but I'll manage - I do appreciate it and sorry to have brought the thread down a bit - having a difficult time tonight, thank you for being understanding and kind :)
Don’t worry. I’ve made some edits. You’re one of the (many) wonderful people that makes me keep coming back to this place. The offer stands.

Think I've got a couple of dresses I bought in the late 1990s but I don't wear them so so often now. No doubt they will come back in fashion or I'll just decide I want to wear them again.

My favourite summer coat was wearing really well, still looked new even though I bought it in 1995ish. Unfortunately I left it's on a bus a few weeks backs and it lost for ever.

I've still got tshirts in rotation from when I was 13.

In terms of the actual age of clothes, I tend towards vintage items anyway. Lots of handmedowns from my mom, lots of stuff from charity shops, depop, and wherever, that are Very Old but difficult to put a date on.

I still wear a few t-shirts that date from 1990 or so, Carcass, Carter USM and Sonic Youth in particular. I still occasionally wear a leather coat I've had for 20-odd years, and the coat itself was made in the 1930s so a good deal older than me. The silk and wool lining is pretty fragile by now but the leather is great, I wax it every so often which is slightly arousing.

Stopping now as tmi.

My Barbour bought at the same time got rained on and shrunk 😂

Actually my walking boots from the same era and worn a lot still, seemed to have escaped shrinking 🤔
My Barbour, over 20 yrs old, hasn't shrunk, I don't see how they can.
I tried on a number of things about a week ago, first time since both hips were replaced and I'm gutted that several of them are now too tight, I think they fitted cos my hip socket wasn't in the right place. Scared to try my vintage versace jeans :( I have woollen 'scottish widow' type coat that must be about 30 yrs old, it will be coming otu of the wardrobe shortly so grandgirl and I can go down the street as plague doctors :D I bought grandgirl a cloak for her outfit :)

Back
Top Bottom