Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Denormalisation of alcohol

tap/optic prices have always been out of step with retail and thats a factor, considering the gulf between the price per unit/drink from the two has got a lot wider. Especially in anywhere that counts as a big town centre or a city. Students are notoriously always a bit skint unless they are scions of the rich or whatever. And of course, you can't even have a fag. I presume there must be many more crated houseparties and so on.

I just came back from mainland Europe, I concluded that everyone in germany the netherlands and france gets just as hammered as people in the uk, and in Belgium more so.

These are the people who invented absinthe, after all.
So many spanish drinking beers, wine at 10am all over the show, especially ime in south, Alicante way. Beers, wine, pickles, nuts, sinking half a litre beer, coffees with alcohol in them, liqueurs...incredibly impressed i am.

I just came back from mainland Europe, I concluded that everyone in germany the netherlands and france gets just as hammered as people in the uk, and in Belgium more so.

I think the Belgian factor is accounted for by foreigners employed there more than natives;

Nigel-Farage-drinking-in--011.jpg

Choice of product is reinforced by what you think tastes nice. Anyone who says otherwise is either a non-drinker or a child. Being that the first of those categories aren't going to be wooed by the pretty colours anyway, and the second category are not allowed to buy booze, the whole packaging thing is a load of bollocks.

People aren't fucking stupid. Well, some of us here aren't anyway. ;)
choice of product dictated by what you're told is nice initially: it's not like anyone eould go to whiskey or real ale unless they thought they were worth sticking with, that they were a taste worth acquiring

On a day when a well-liked public figure was killed, one way or another, by booze - in a country where minimum pricing legisation has been scuppered by legal challenges from whisky interests - who's in favour of laws to make tougher for the drink industry?

Ironically, I think it would help immensely to reduce the booze duties paid by on-licensees (pubs, restaurants, etc) to encourage drinking socially while leaving the duty paid by off-licenses at a higher level.

There's a strong argument for introducing children to alcohol at an early age. The French and Italians don't have our binge-drinking culture. They claim it's because they give their children watered-down wine with meals. Consequently teenagers don't see getting drunk as a cool, rebellious rite of passage.

Binge drinking is only part of the picture. While Italy does better than the UK in terms of the health impacts of alcohol, the same isn't true for France http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/160680/e96457.pdf.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I think the government should stop taking money from alcohol companies and instead fund video game companies as video gaming is a much less dangerous hobby than drinking alcohol

I reckon the best way forward would be for the police to have a crackdown on actually enforcing the laws that already exist against being drunk and disorderly / drunk and incapable, plus lots more fines of pubs that serve people who are already drunk. And then some active encouragement via tax exemptions or whatever of evening-opening businesses that don't serve alcohol. And perhaps a restriction in the number of off licences to make alcohol a bit harder to buy which would also encourage more use of pubs which at least serve additional positive social functions.

That's up to the law to do isn't it? And the Licensing Act 2003 makes it illegal to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk, or to try and buy it on their behalf. Anyone found guilty of the offence can be fined up to £1,000 but it never really happens.

If drunk is under the influence of alcohol, that's me after a couple of units (to a minor extent). :oops:

That's up to the law to do isn't it? And the Licensing Act 2003 makes it illegal to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk, or to try and buy it on their behalf. Anyone found guilty of the offence can be fined up to £1,000 but it never really happens.

First off it's subjective, unless you breathalyse which you can't in a pub. Secondly who are you fining? Low paid bar staff? The same ones who'll have to deal with the aggro when someone disagrees about how drunk they are? Landlords of already struggling pubs? It's just a recipe for making life harder for people working, jobs more precarious and businesses more insecure.

If drunk is under the influence of alcohol, that's me after a couple of units (to a minor extent). :oops:
I'm not sure how they define drunk for serving at a bar. But 'drunk and incapable' is when you are so drunk you are unable to stand or walk or unaware of what you are doing or unable to understand what is said to you. Now if my drinking-problem-partner actually got arrested for that rather than just having all his friends think it's a great laugh it might help get through to him that he needs to think about treatment.

Whereas banning advertising or increasing minimum pricing certainly wouldn't help him.

First off it's subjective, unless you breathalyse which you can't in a pub. Secondly who are you fining? Low paid bar staff? The same ones who'll have to deal with the aggro when someone disagrees about how drunk they are? Landlords of already struggling pubs? It's just a recipe for making life harder for people working, jobs more precarious and businesses more insecure.
Well you can breathalyse in a pub, as some clubs are now breathalysing people on the way in. Not that I'm advocating that mind! Yeah it's subjective but if landlords actually feared the possibility of being fined they would err a bit more on the side of caution. The fact is fines never happen so people who are obviously very drunk get served.

I'm not sure how they define drunk for serving at a bar. But 'drunk and incapable' is when you are so drunk you are unable to stand or walk or unaware of what you are doing or unable to understand what is said to you. Now if my drinking-problem-partner actually got arrested for that rather than just having all his friends think it's a great laugh it might help get through to him that he needs to think about treatment.

I've certainly been chucked out of a few places or not been served due to being at that level. I've been refused entry to places also way before that. As YouSir said, it's totally subjective.

I reckon the best way forward would be for the police to have a crackdown on actually enforcing the laws that already exist against being drunk and disorderly / drunk and incapable, plus lots more fines of pubs that serve people who are already drunk. And then some active encouragement via tax exemptions or whatever of evening-opening businesses that don't serve alcohol. And perhaps a restriction in the number of off licences to make alcohol a bit harder to buy which would also encourage more use of pubs which at least serve additional positive social functions.

I think all that would do would make more people drink at home, cause even more pub closures and make local shops suffer.
The only way to stop problem/excessive drinking is to address the cause(s), educate and provide help for those suffering from addiction. Prohibition does not work, and all atempts to curtail peoples drinking by limiting access or extreme pricing hits the poor most, both in their pockets and their bonds with the local community.

The 2003 Act just restated older laws in that respect, AFAIK. An actual fine is pretty rare, though, and it's usually just dealt with via a fixed penalty. There was a spate of it round here ten years ago, when I was still pulling pints in the student union for a living and the OB were trying to be seen to do something about the 'binge drinking' business. It's fair enough in itself - makes no sense to give more booze to someone who's so pissed they can't stand up - but please don't go suggesting the law ought to be used aggressively against people who are peaceably tipsy or bar staff just trying to do their jobs. From a barman's POV it's sometimes difficult to tell who's in a fit state to be served and who isn't anyway: at a crowded bar with loud music on it's not that easy to tell if someone's staggering pissed or slurring their words a bit.

How about a ban on the consumption or distribution of alcohol in workplaces other than licensed premises? Wouldn't reduce sales by all that much, but sends a clear message.

Well you can breathalyse in a pub, as some clubs are now breathalysing people on the way in. Not that I'm advocating that mind! Yeah it's subjective but if landlords actually feared the possibility of being fined they would err a bit more on the side of caution. The fact is fines never happen so people who are obviously very drunk get served.

How would you make a fine stick without the definite limit from a breathalyser though? Could just endlessly be appealed. Unless you have secret shopper style drinkers testing places, which would be an interesting job. And even if landlords had the fear they just pass the fear down to staff who'll be in a shitty position trying to deal with drunks, as well as getting fined themselves.

Plenty of pubs will cut people off, best you can do I reckon is support the good ones because there'll never be a time when someone with a will to can't get a drink *somewhere*.

Now if my drinking-problem-partner actually got arrested for that rather than just having all his friends think it's a great laugh it might help get through to him that he needs to think about treatment.

My alcoholic brother-in-law got arrrested several times and banned from pubs. He just started drinking alone more, at home, over the fields, in fucking phone boxes, until finally it got the better of him

How about a ban on the consumption or distribution of alcohol in workplaces other than licensed premises? Wouldn't reduce sales by all that much, but sends a clear message.

Where I used to work, at a couple of points in the year, we'd get free food put on plus booze. Sounds like your suggestion would stop that sort of thing? Probably one of the few perks of the job. :D

Back
Top Bottom