Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

County Cricket 2024

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
As nobody else has started it yet and we're already on the second round of matches already, so thought I would set up a thread to talk balls (kookaburra and otherwise) and bats and so on.

Not sure I've many ambitions for Kent other than just avoiding relegation...

šŸ

Talking of Kent, "Deadly" Derek Underwood has died. This is probably a decent place to put it.

I caught the tail end of his career when I was a kid. A unique bowler, almost a medium-pacer, who was deadly when conditions suited.

Was also a South Africa rebel. Needs to be mentioned alongside all the good stuff.

Derek Underwood, England and Kent's legendary spinner, dies aged 78
He was the first cricketer i was really aware of (Despite being from Glasgow i was brought up a Kent fan) Magnificent bowler, probably the best spinner England have ever had.
RIP Deadly.

Talking of Kent, "Deadly" Derek Underwood has died. This is probably a decent place to put it.

I caught the tail end of his career when I was a kid. A unique bowler, almost a medium-pacer, who was deadly when conditions suited.

Was also a South Africa rebel. Needs to be mentioned alongside all the good stuff.

Sad news.
Accepting the SA rebel caveat, he was a boyhood hero of mine and inspired me to stick to spin throughout my playing life. That said, 'Deadly' actually bowled bloody quick and his action was not very dissimilar from my paternal Grandfather's.

Last edited:

:(

yes - also remember him playing for kent (when you still got county cricket on the telly) and england.

mum-tat saw him play in a test match at the oval when it cost 5 shillings (25p) a day for the cheap seats

:) at kent managing a draw

:eek: at surrey trying to play a T20 innings

So a run glut and snorefest to start the season. Just one result so far out of two full rounds of matches. Northants vs Middx probably the winner for most tedious match. 1,100 runs for 8 wickets in 290 overs. That's a strike rate of a wicket every 36 overs.

The reason - a wet winter leading to soft wickets with no bounce combined with the kookaburra ball. It's supposed to encourage better bowling. Good luck!

Rob Key thinks it's great. Others are less impressed. Soft ball on a soft wicket = shit cricket.

meh at kent

although to be honest, as of sunday morning, i was expecting it to be all over not long after lunch on sunday

:hmm:

kent's 3rd consecutive match following on. i did try to see if that was a record, but couldn't find anything.

and i can feel a :facepalm: coming on...

:hmm:

kent's 3rd consecutive match following on. i did try to see if that was a record, but couldn't find anything.

and i can feel a :facepalm: coming on...

That didn't take long.

So a run glut and snorefest to start the season. Just one result so far out of two full rounds of matches. Northants vs Middx probably the winner for most tedious match. 1,100 runs for 8 wickets in 290 overs. That's a strike rate of a wicket every 36 overs.

The reason - a wet winter leading to soft wickets with no bounce combined with the kookaburra ball. It's supposed to encourage better bowling. Good luck!

Rob Key thinks it's great. Others are less impressed. Soft ball on a soft wicket = shit cricket.

Yep. Resulting in bowler's averages rising for both their batting and bowling. Apart from Kent of course, that's just their bowling averages going up.

A few teams struggling as we hit the half-way mark.

Notts very unlucky at Worcester. Put themselves in a totally dominant position but only one day's play possible. They might only have needed two to force a result. You have to wonder about the future for New Road. Can't carry on like this.

Top two both losing tightens things up a bit. I still think Surrey will win it. They just ooze resources. Not least Dan Lawrence. Very curious move from him to accept a position batting in the junior position at 6. He's doing ok but can he force England selection like that? Maybe playing for Surrey is all that counts. :hmm: He appears to be trying to turn himself into the next Moeen Ali. Maybe it will work. Maybe he was told something?

although :eek: at surrey yesterday
One-off aberration, I think, not least because they play half (or nearly half - maybe one at Guildford?) their games at The Oval, which is the best place in the country to bat, and they have all the resources to steamroller teams there.

England fast seam bowler Ollie Robinson has been hit for 43 runs in the most expensive over in County Championship history in what is believed to be the most expensive in all first-class cricket when there was no compliance from the bowler (i.e. bowling for a declaration). Despite this, Sussex beat Leicestershire by 18 runs:

It's a pretty special performance, 43. And am I right in reading that the dude who hit them all and scored 243 came in at no.8?

It's a pretty special performance, 43. And am I right in reading that the dude who hit them all and scored 243 came in at no.8?

Yes. 4th highest score ever by a number 8 in the CC. Averaged 24 before this with only one previous century. Which was, naturally, also against Sussex.

I can feel another :facepalm: coming on.

wonder if there's a record for the most times a team has had to follow on in a season in the county championship...

My goodness. Glamorgan have just scored 592 all out to tie with Gloucestershire. They needed 2 off the final over, 1 off the last ball. Caught by the keeper. What an effort. That surely would have been a world record chase no?

My goodness. Glamorgan have just scored 592 all out to tie with Gloucestershire. They needed 2 off the final over, 1 off the last ball. Caught by the keeper. What an effort. That surely would have been a world record chase no?

Yes looks like it, in first class cricket anyway - beating that time West Zone beat South Zone in 1910. Still the third highest fourth innings score ever.

Back
Top Bottom