Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Got his 700 wickets though :thumbs:

Mate and I were watching his first England game on tv and it was obvious then he was something special.

At least once I demanded he never wear an England shirt again after being knocked around the park in an ODI.

Got his 700 wickets though :thumbs:

Mate and I were watching his first England game on tv and it was obvious then he was something special.
And Tendulkar got his 100 100s. I dont like focus on that kind of thing. It's representative sport, so him playing means someone else not playing. Josh Tongue (admittedly a different kind of bowler) was far more impressive than Anderson last summer. Players like him need more opportunities.

And Tendulkar got his 100 100s. I dont like focus on that kind of thing. It's representative sport, so him playing means someone else not playing. Josh Tongue (admittedly a different kind of bowler) was far more impressive than Anderson last summer. Players like him need more opportunities.
This advice remains as true as ever:
As I've said before, the best way to get an England place is to have a name that lends itself to punning headlines.

E.g. Australia Licked by Tongue, India Tongue-tied, Tongue Lashes Pakistan

Update. Anderson now to retire after the first test at Lords vs West Indies.

I like this decision. I have no problem at all with giving him a send-off test. A whole send-off summer felt like too much.

"I feel like I have talked about it for ten years with every coach I have had, asking 'how long you going to play for'," Anderson said. "Looking ahead, could a 43-year-old me make the Ashes in 18 months time? I sort of came to the decision 'probably not'. From my point of view it feels like a stretch at this point in my career, and from their point of view there are 15 or so Tests before the Ashes so it gives them time to get other guys Tests and experience before that Ashes series.

Good thinking. Although there is more to test cricket than the bloody Ashes.

Anderson to retire after Lord's Test against West Indies

From a statto perspective he is probably not now going to get the wickets to overtake Warne, or get to 1000 international wickets, or beat Warne’s international wicket tally.

Which is a shame but there you go that’s sport for you.

Saw him take a ODI hat trick at The Oval against Pakistan in 2003 :)

I first saw him live around 2006. He's had at least two careers. Back then he was pretty quick and could swing it both ways at pace but lacked control. Who would turn up, Good Jimmy or Bad Jimmy? Nobody knew.

I can't think of any other bowler who improved so much in his 30s. First third of his career was pretty average. Second two thirds have stats that are right up there with anyone who has ever played.

First third of his career was pretty average.

My recollection is that he was really pissed around in this period, badly overcoached. They made him bowl at traffic cones (instead of playing matches) for seemingly ages. They tried to remodel his action because they said he'd injure himself - and they promptly injured him. Eventually he got his own way, went back to doing things his way and learning his way and hey presto. Fittest fast bowler ever.

My recollection is that he was really pissed around in this period, badly overcoached. They made him bowl at traffic cones (instead of playing matches) for seemingly ages. They tried to remodel his action because they said he'd injure himself - and they promptly injured him. Eventually he got his own way, went back to doing things his way and learning his way and hey presto. Fittest fast bowler ever.
Yeah, there was that too. Had forgotten that. He was in and out of the team for the first five years of his career. More out than in. You're right, messed about. IIRC they criticised him for looking at the ground as he released the ball. Should be looking where you're bowling or something. Well he went back to staring at the ground, and he seemed to know where the ball was going.

I hope they are better now. There does seem to be more recognition from the emergence of people like Malinga and Bumrah that you should let kids explore their own ways to do things. Coach's job is to facilitate that, not mould along pre-existing ideas. The little coaching I had as a kid, I remember it being very prescriptive: Cricket Is A Sideways-on Game was the mantra. Well for some, yeah.

More progressive coaching ideas, as far as I know, are more about giving a kid a bat or ball and first telling them to bowl/bat just however they feel like doing it. First and foremost, HAVE FUN.

England cricket coaches ffs. They permanently broke Archer by over bowling him, quite a few others they messed around Finn?
Long list of promising fast bowlers who have gone downhill (and lost pace) after being selected for England. You do hope they have learned some lessons. The best bowler in the world right now - in all formats - is someone who breaks pretty much every idea in the manual.

And he retired from ODIs nearly a decade ago and is still England's leading wicket-taker in the format. May keep that record for ever as well given the way the format's going.

Easy to forget that. Like I said, at least two careers. Probably three.

Probably not the greatest in ODIs, though. I'd put Flintoff and Gough just ahead of him. Looking at Flintoff's ODI numbers, they're phenomenal. For England, 168 wickets at 23, economy rate 4.33. Economy rates have gone up in recent years, you say? True, but then look at his batting: more than 3,000 runs at an average of 32, strike rate 89. Those numbers fit right in with today's ODIs.

Last edited:
I'm assuming McCullum/Key have offered him a coaching position after a period of time away anyway. There's no way he would have retired voluntarily. He's not not the gift of the gab of Broad so the commentary box is out.

Although in saying that I'm currently listening to Graeme fucking Swann commentating to millions and he can barely string a sentence together so you never know.

That was an impressive win yesterday. Looking forward to more T20, though maybe not at 1.30 in the morning when some of the US based matches are on.

That was an impressive win yesterday. Looking forward to more T20, though maybe not at 1.30 in the morning when some of the US based matches are on.

England didn't really get out of second gear with the bat. But they didn't need to. They'd bought themselves space to just sit out the better Pakistan bowlers, and clobber the rest.

Archer looks good. Not just his pace, but his control and his intelligence in choosing what to bowl and when. He bowled a couple of late inswingers over 90mph that looked like they'd beat absolutely anyone.

England fast seam bowler Ollie Robinson has been hit for 43 runs in the most expensive over in County Championship history in what is believed to be the most expensive in all first-class cricket when there was no compliance from the bowler (i.e. bowling for a declaration). Despite this, Sussex beat Leicestershire by 18 runs:

England fast seam bowler Ollie Robinson has been hit for 43 runs in the most expensive over in County Championship history in what is believed to be the most expensive in all first-class cricket when there was no compliance from the bowler (i.e. bowling for a declaration). Despite this, Sussex beat Leicestershire by 18 runs:

Worth reposting across 3 threads, including 3 posts above this one?

Squad for first two tests against W.Indies

England squad for first two Tests: Ben Stokes (Durham, capt), James Anderson (Lancashire - first Test only), Gus Atkinson (Surrey), Shoaib Bashir (Somerset), Harry Brook (Yorkshire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Dan Lawrence (Surrey), Dillon Pennington (Nottinghamshire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Matthew Potts (Durham), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jamie Smith (Surrey, wk), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Pennington? Smith? Who?

Bye bye Bairstow, Leach, Robinson, Foakes.

Clearly, England see this as the start of a new phase with rebuilding towards the next Ashes. I dislike this way of thinking. It is disrespectful towards all the other teams England play, who also matter. For example, England don't currently hold the Ashes, but they also don't currently hold the Richards-Botham trophy (formerly Wisden Trophy). It's an important series.

But this is bad news for all the players who've been dropped. Bashir has been out on loan to get games because Som prefer Leach, while Foakes keeps wicket for Surrey. I've no idea how good a keeper Smith is. We'll soon find out, but clearly Surrey think he's not as good as Foakes. Foakes hasn't been in the runs this year for Surrey but then again neither has Pope (miserable returns of 206 runs in 7 matches at 22).

Lawrence must be one of the best drinks waiters around right now mind.

Must be great watching Pope get 16 and 11 and being undroppable.

And what a difference 2 years makes.

Clearly, England see this as the start of a new phase with rebuilding towards the next Ashes. I dislike this way of thinking. It is disrespectful towards all the other teams England play, who also matter. For example, England don't currently hold the Ashes, but they also don't currently hold the Richards-Botham trophy (formerly Wisden Trophy). It's an important series.

But this is bad news for all the players who've been dropped. Bashir has been out on loan to get games because Som prefer Leach, while Foakes keeps wicket for Surrey. I've no idea how good a keeper Smith is. We'll soon find out, but clearly Surrey think he's not as good as Foakes. Foakes hasn't been in the runs this year for Surrey but then again neither has Pope (miserable returns of 206 runs in 7 matches at 22).

We've all doubted in the wisdom of Stokes/McCullum in the past and been proved wrong (India tour excepted). So you never know. I imagine a lot of thought has gone into this.

Back
Top Bottom