Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Lawrence appears to be attempting to reinvent himself as the new Moeen Ali. I wonder if it was suggested to him to develop his bowling, hence the move to Surrey.

Clearly, England see this as the start of a new phase with rebuilding towards the next Ashes. I dislike this way of thinking. It is disrespectful towards all the other teams England play, who also matter. For example, England don't currently hold the Ashes, but they also don't currently hold the Richards-Botham trophy (formerly Wisden Trophy). It's an important series.

But this is bad news for all the players who've been dropped. Bashir has been out on loan to get games because Som prefer Leach, while Foakes keeps wicket for Surrey. I've no idea how good a keeper Smith is. We'll soon find out, but clearly Surrey think he's not as good as Foakes. Foakes hasn't been in the runs this year for Surrey but then again neither has Pope (miserable returns of 206 runs in 7 matches at 22).

Totally agree that the Ashes focus has been a massive negative but you do need new blood at some point don't you. Bairstow does look like someone reaching the end of his career, I don't know much about Smith but seems he's a talent so we'll see I guess.

Foakes is a bit different I think in that he's never really been established. Really dropping him is just more of the same - I don't agree with that but I did think they might jump him to new wicketkeeper so it's not a massive surprise.

With Leach I think with all due respect to what he's done this is one where you can plan for the future without a massive drop off in the present tbh.

Then there's the seamers and who knows there really - there's not a lot in the way of nailed on fixtures without Anderson. Seems like there are so many injuries they're scraping around a bit tbh but they need someone to play. Never heard of Pennington but who knows.

Yeah I'd never heard of Tongue last year, and I thought he was really good. He's one of the injured atm.

Suspect Woakes is there to ease the transition, providing the experienced head when Anderson's gone. Will this also be Woakes' last international summer? I suspect it will be.

I agree that Bairstow's time seems to be up. It's harsh on Leach, imo. He's not done a lot wrong, and he's been serially unlucky with illness and injury. If that is it for him now, he can be pretty proud of his record. It's quite modest but solid, and he's stood up when needed at various points.

I agree that Bairstow's time seems to be up. It's harsh on Leach, imo. He's not done a lot wrong, and he's been serially unlucky with illness and injury. If that is it for him now, he can be pretty proud of his record. It's quite modest but solid, and he's stood up when needed at various points.

Yeah I sort of agree with that. You can't argue that he hasn't stood up and done his best and made the most of his ability can you. And he seems like a good bloke all round. On the other hand though I think it's fair to say he's been a bit lucky to have a window when the competition was pretty weak.

So yeah on the fence a bit - guess I'd say definitely he should be proud of his record but not sure I'd agree it's harsh to leave him out. For sure India or Australia wouldn't bat an eyelid about it if he was playing for them.

Anyone ever been to Beckenham's ground? Tickets are only £16 and I'm currently unemployed so might head down. Is it a decent venue? Can you bring your own booze?

Anyone ever been to Beckenham's ground? Tickets are only £16 and I'm currently unemployed so might head down. Is it a decent venue? Can you bring your own booze?

One bottle of wine or 4 cans of beer.

Do it, you'll have a fine day out if the weather is good.

Yeah - weather forecast not good..
Ticket prices jump to £22 if not bought just before midnight...
Streamed live here - but no commentary unless I've gone deaf..

Yeah I've been and would definitely recommend (well maybe not if it's chucking it down). Definitely a different vibe to the big grounds - we went to see Kent v Surrey and got to sit on plastic chairs right by the pitch and watch Kumar Sangakkara hitting it into the flats at one end.

Squads:
  • Kraigg Brathwaite (Captain)
  • Alick Athanaze
  • Joshua Da Silva
  • Jason Holder
  • Kavem Hodge
  • Tevin Imlach
  • Alzarri Joseph (Vice-Captain)
  • Shamar Joseph
  • Mikyle Louis
  • Zachary McCaskie
  • Kirk McKenzie
  • Gudakesh Motie
  • Kemar Roach
  • Jayden Seales
  • Kevin Sinclair

• Farhan Ahmed (Nottinghamshire)
  • Sonny Baker (Somerset)
  • Harry Duke (Yorkshire)
  • Bertie Foreman (Sussex)
  • Ben Geddes (Surrey)
  • Josh Hull (Leicestershire)
  • Eddie Jack (Hampshire)
  • Will Luxton (Yorkshire)
  • Ben McKinney (Durham)
  • Jamal Richards (Essex)
  • Hamza Shaikh (Warwickshire)
  • Harry Singh (Lancashire)
  • John Turner (Hampshire)

They're making a decent fist of it, the county XI that is. shame about tomorrow.

So despite my predictions for the weather, it looks like we're going to get a test match in.

I can't say I'm hugely excited by England v West Indies tbh, but no doubt it'll have its moments.

Anyone interested?

So despite my predictions for the weather, it looks like we're going to get a test match in.

I can't say I'm hugely excited by England v West Indies tbh, but no doubt it'll have its moments.

Anyone interested?

I'm always interested when there's an England test on, for all that this might not be very top tier.

Anderson to take a load of wickets and look better than the younger bowlers, prompting a few awkward self-justifications. On the other side interesting to see how Shamar Joseph gets on.

I'll dip into it at work..
But the Euros has put this in the background somewhat
Looking forward to seeing how Jamie Smith gets on
A great talent batting wise - feel sorry for Foakes
Anyone without Sky can watch the highlights on BBC4 at 7..
Then over to the football at 8..

I'm always interested when there's an England test on, for all that this might not be very top tier.

Anderson to take a load of wickets and look better than the younger bowlers, prompting a few awkward self-justifications. On the other side interesting to see how Shamar Joseph gets on.
Yep, he's the real deal. Had issues getting here so he's likely to be undercooked. But he's only played about a dozen cricket matches in his life anyway!

As ever with WI, the issue for them is going to be runs. Who will score them? Given the weather, I'm not anticipating a five-day match.

England XI: Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jamie Smith (wk), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, James Anderson.

West Indies XI: Kraigg Brathwaite (c), Mikyle Louis, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Jason Holder, Joshua da Silva (wk), Gudakesh Motie, Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph, Jayden Seales.

Holder at six is a place too high. Not even heard of numbers 2-5. Maybe one of them will come good? Shame about the injury to Kemar Roach, but the problem isn't the bowling.

You feel like a lot is going to depend on Brathwaite. If he can somehow dig in, maybe someone can stick around with him.

I take it you missed the toe curling video they played on the big screens while the players waited at the top of the stairs. with hussain doing the voiceover.

Back
Top Bottom