Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Yep, great delivery.

We're (well, me) back on Joe Root average watch. Peeked its head above 50 for a few minutes before ducking back down again when he got out.

Smith must feel pretty shit about that. Depriving Jimmy of facing a final ball in test cricket.

He looks great though, I can see a future captain there.

Hmmm. Seems like we were right not to be enthused. W.Indies can't bat.

Mind you, Sobers, Kallis, Stokes is a pretty good club to be in. 6000 runs and 200 wickets. Underlines how good an all-rounder Stokes is.

Looks like Broad just let it slip that Anderson is going to be the bowling coach as of next week. Wonder if that was accidental?

Hmmm. Seems like we were right not to be enthused. W.Indies can't bat.

Mind you, Sobers, Kallis, Stokes is a pretty good club to be in. 6000 runs and 200 wickets. Underlines how good an all-rounder Stokes is.

Just having him back bowling proper spells is probably the biggest positive for England from this match isn't it. Makes a huge difference and it really didn't look like he'd be able to not long ago.

This is a bit of a joke of a test. most of their best players cant be arsed with red ball. Respect to those that still do given how little money they make in comparison.

The two debutants, Atkinson and Smith look like inspired selections for England though.

So a player takes 12 wickets on debut, the third best in history and we're still banging on about Jimmy Anderson. How many more guards of honour can he get?

There's no denying Atkinson was unbelievably impressive but we only get to say goodbye to Jimmy once. Apparently. Still don't believe that's the case. No doubt Jimmy will give him a good nod in the exit interviews and Gus will get his moment of appreciation for his bumper crop of wickets.

He was quite clearly pushed out. But 42 years... unbelievable.... He seems to have taken it reasonably well. Definitely better than the last time he was (wrongly) dropped

A bit underwhelming in the end, but the time was right for Jimmy to go. Arguably, the time was right last year tbh.

Don't totally write the Windies off just yet. They've got quality in the bowling and the batters are learning on the job. They arrived undercooked and were inserted on a cloudy day at Lord's. That's tough for any team.

Here's hoping for a more competitive match next week.

A bit underwhelming in the end, but the time was right for Jimmy to go. Arguably, the time was right last year tbh.

Don't totally write the Windies off just yet. They've got quality in the bowling and the batters are learning on the job. They arrived undercooked and were inserted on a cloudy day at Lord's. That's tough for any team.

Here's hoping for a more competitive match next week.

They got very similarly battered in the first test in Australia didn't they, before they came back to win the next test. I'd agree they're not total write-offs - I wouldn't expect them to win the next test but they could well be more competitive.

A shame he didn’t get the summer to beat Warne’s total plus 1000 international wickets (or rather all those matches where he was rested he could have got the wickets then) anyway this new bloke taking 12 wickets kind of hints time to move on

The poor dude is currently enduring about the 15th video montage about him. He clearly just wants to get to the pub by now. I hate my own work leaving do's, but this is off the scale.

I quite like that he didn't catch Warne. His final place feels right.

It is mad that he and Broad are the two highest wicket taking seamers ever. And possibly will be for ever.

Anderson's the only seamer ever to bowl 40,000 balls. This match took him past that mark. Interesting comparison of him with Warne on that score. Warne played 43 fewer tests than Anderson, but bowled 100 more overs.

WI win the toss and bowl on a sunny day in Nottingham.

Feels like a defensive decision aimed at damage limitation - not being out of the game by the end of the first day. We'll see.

I'm happy with that. We might get at least three days with England batting first. And I'm 'between jobs' right now so the more cricket the better.

Back
Top Bottom