Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

I wish they'd turn the mic down on the windies keeper. Really annoying.

Anyway, apparently this would be the first time in history an England team has scored 400+ in both innings which I find difficult to believe. But apparently it's true.

I wish they'd turn the mic down on the windies keeper. Really annoying.

Anyway, apparently this would be the first time in history an England team has scored 400+ in both innings which I find difficult to believe. But apparently it's true.

It is a weird one. Only the 11th time in test history apparently.

Good batting pitch, maybe the bounce is getting lower. I'd still like a few more than England have atm.

England's batting has been pretty shit in reality here. A better side would be crushing them. The Windies have two classy looking batsmen though so you never know.

So they're reverting to a T20 format but keeping the Hundred name. When the whole point of that absurd tournament is that it's 100 balls. A u-turn even the Tories would admire for its idiocy.

Umpire's call is absurd. It's either out or not, according to the technology. It's hitting the wickets or its not. We trust it for noballs and wides so why give umpire's call on LBWs. Time to get rid of it. I appreciate that it evens out, but just use out or not out. It's bonkers.

Windies collapsing. Conditions that looked so benign when Brook and Root were strolling along, all of a sudden looks like a late day 4 pitch - 385 was way too many with hindsight.

385 would have been one of the highest successful chases ever wouldn't it. They've done much better but I don't think this WI team would be one to challenge those sorts of records.

385 would have been one of the highest successful chases ever wouldn't it. They've done much better but I don't think this WI team would be one to challenge those sorts of records.

Their number 4 is averaging the same as their no.10 (20 odd). That's not a good place to be as a batting unit.

It's a real shame they collapsed for that reason. The lovely free final days are the only chance many people have of going. And they're usually excellent days out.
Aye to that. I'd have needed a few hours cricket for it to be worthwhile, coming from the North East. But it could have been a great day, even a couple of hours, for those living closer.

So they're reverting to a T20 format but keeping the Hundred name.

:facepalm:

When the whole point of that absurd tournament is that it's 100 balls.

should just call it 'load of balls'

Yeah I'm kind of sorry it didn't last until tomorrow so people could get in for free but pleased England won

yes - the commentary was saying how long it was taking to get through to get free tickets for tomorrow.

people who hung on must be a bit pissed off now...

Aye to that. I'd have needed a few hours cricket for it to be worthwhile, coming from the North East. But it could have been a great day, even a couple of hours, for those living closer.
I've been to more fifth days than all the other days of tests put together. Used to go at least once a year. Recently, the opportunities have been much rarer.

It wasn't a 150 all out pitch, no way. Poor.
Watching the highlights, it wasn't easy from the back end of England's innings. Ball was spinning and there was decidedly uneven bounce. The batters didn't give it away. Just one of those days when the ball finds the edge more often than not.

Pitch was definitely deteriorating second half of day four, and with hindsight, that makes the decision at the toss more clearly a mistake.

Yeah I always used to walk down to TB for day fives. Got to watch 45 minutes of Tendulkar and Dravid finishing England off once, that was good.

Watching the highlights, it wasn't easy from the back end of England's innings. Ball was spinning and there was decidedly uneven bounce. The batters didn't give it away. Just one of those days when the ball finds the edge more often than not.

Pitch was definitely deteriorating second half of day four, and with hindsight, that makes the decision at the toss more clearly a mistake.

I think that's a consequence of only seeing the highlights. The ball was getting lower (I noted this at 2.40pm) but it was nothing outrageous. Braithwaite said he still fancied W.Indies had a chance even with 385 to get. Stokes said he didn't think the pitch was great for spinners. Bashir shined and the W.Indies collapsed (10 wickets in 23 overs).

So let's put that another way. It wasn't a 10 wickets in 23 overs pitch.

First time England have scored over 400 in both innings ever. Scoring at 4.8 per over (or whatever it was) across the whole game put England in the position to win this.

Maybe this is the essence of Bazball - not just wild hacking. Historically, both teams scoring 400+ in their 1st innings and we are looking at a draw.

Re: the pitch. A few balls started doing strange things towards the end of England’s 2nd dig. This carried on even when Windies openers were looking serene (ish) - they just navigated these balls well or rode their luck a bit. Agree it wasn’t a ploughed field or a raging Bunsen at all but I think you can attribute the psychology of collapses to the way WI fell over

Also quite funny Jimmy has several records he will never lose. But he lost one in his first game in retirement - Bashir the youngest ever 5fer at home for England.

Bashir looks a proper old school number 11 as well. His dismissal in the second innings was brilliantly awful.

The Guardian seems very keen to keep commenting that Bashir's not even the first choice for his county - He's 20 and has been on international duty most of his first class career afaik.

But seemingly another very good spot from Stokes/Baz. They do have the midas touch with debutants.

The Guardian seems very keen to keep commenting that Bashir's not even the first choice for his county - He's 20 and has been on international duty most of his first class career afaik.

But seemingly another very good spot from Stokes/Baz. They do have the midas touch with debutants.
It is unusual that the keeper and the spinner are both second-choices for their counties to the players they have replaced in the test team.

Smith's keeping has pleasantly surprised me. He's very tall for a keeper but he looks nice and tidy. Can't remember a drop or many fumbles, and in two matches, he's conceded four byes, all from one ball.

There's a genuine chance we might have a lack of soppy Sky VTs for Strauss, Anderson, Broad, whoever the fuck for this game in a few minutes. No minutes silence scheduled either.

Two terrible national anthems, and then... play. Motie in. Don't know why he was left out for the last game.

Back
Top Bottom