Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Broad's a very good commentator. I like how geeky he is how about his craft, doesn't bother patronising the viewer. Unlike the Hundred where we have Eion Morgan telling us that if the bowler hits the wickets the batsman is out.

I told my young daughter today that the expression 'knock it into the long grass' (to halt or stall something) was a metaphoral cricket expression - meaning when the batsman hits a 4 and the ball rolls from the short grass to the long grass.

I have understood that to come from cricket my whole life.

I just checked myself by Googling it and turns out I had imagined the whole bloody thing.

But they use that expression in cricket right 'He knocked it into the long grass'.

They actually use it literally but it's not a metaphor, right?

Flattened them with reverse swing. Superb bowling. He's been threatening to do that all series.

Better combination this time of short and full? The short ones set them up, but it's the full ones that take the wickets.

Ironically given that Baz and Stokes have stated their aim is to revive test cricket by playing like this they're actually damaging it. Constant 3 or 4 day matches aren't great. We'll be down to four day matches soon I think,

I told my young daughter today that the expression 'knock it into the long grass' (to halt or stall something) was a metaphoral cricket expression - meaning when the batsman hits a 4 and the ball rolls from the short grass to the long grass.

I have understood that to come from cricket my whole life.

I just checked myself by Googling it and turns out I had imagined the whole bloody thing.
thinking about it I knew it as 'kick it into the long grass' but that'd just be replacing cricket with football metaphor, so knocking it into the long grass gets the idea over, better even because you're certain to have a delay looking for it.

Ironically given that Baz and Stokes have stated their aim is to revive test cricket by playing like this they're actually damaging it. Constant 3 or 4 day matches aren't great. We'll be down to four day matches soon I think,
This game has at least gone well into the third day, so the third-day crowd have got a decent day's play. Lord's finishing at lunchtime on day 3 was bad, but it was a horribliy one-sided game. Not the England team's fault.

The second test really should have gone into the final day if WI had batted better. And this one could have gone into a fourth day if WI had batted better.

I have no issue with tests ending on the fourth day. Three-day finishes are not ideal, clearly. But you still need that fifth day, even with 'Bazball', and Trent Bridge is a good illustration of that - it was set up for a fifth-day finish if WI had batted better, and without that fifth day in the locker, there may not have been a result in four.

It remains the case that most of the really memorable, close tests go the full five days. We just don't get that many good, close tests any more. And four-day tests in places like Pakistan would nearly all end in draws.

Last edited:
Player of match will probably go to a batter. Usually does. I'd give it to Wood. Blew the game apart today just as WI had the tiniest sniff.

thinking about it I knew it as 'kick it into the long grass' but that'd just be replacing cricket with football metaphor, so knocking it into the long grass gets the idea over, better even because you're certain to have a delay looking for it.
Yes I know it as kick into the long (tall) grass. To hit/kick something off the prepared surface and out of bounds. As a metaphor for rejecting or delaying a proposal, it breaks down when applied too literally to any sport, as the next move is usually to immediately retrieve the ball.

Back
Top Bottom