Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Despite the flying start that doesn't look as good as it should do yet. For 3 would have been much worse and Pope doesn't look safe to me.

bugger - i'd got the idea it started tomorrow.

it's getting to the stage where test matches starting on a thursday almost comes as a surprise, like football matches starting at 3pm on a saturday...

and BBC has on their text report

:eek:

Yep. It's perfect batting conditions. Bonkers decision by WI really to field.

It's sounding properly 'lubricated' in that crowd. Which reminds me. I might as well use these unemployed months, who's coming here next? Anyone decent?

I think that was one of England's less impressive 400s. Obviously it wins the day after being put in (which was a mistake anyway) but that didn't come without a considerable amount of luck and dropped catches.

They were pretty shit. Pope was dropped twice. Both were sitters. Look very rusty. India or the Aussies would have demolished them.

Yep, far from convincing and a stronger team would have pounced today. England are still well ahead, but they gifted WI a bunch of wickets.

I was disappointed by WI discipline today. Was hoping for better from them.

Pope is the new Burns. Batting streakily and lucky as fuck at the moment. A bad trot is probably around the corner.

I think the fastest I faced in my youth was probably about 75. And that scared the shit out of me. 97mph - I mean how do you even see it?

Quite often, you don't.

You see it briefly out of the bowlers hand, then you lose it on the way down, and hopefully pick it up again after it pitches. So, in large part you're playing the line (i.e. where you think it's going to be).

Last edited:
Good session, that was.

Windies are pretty shit, aren't they?

Unfortunately, yes, as they can't bat. Having said that, Lara seems to think Athanaze is the new Lara so let's give them another session.

But yes, they are shit, and this is bad news for cricket. Fortunately it'll all soon be franchises for T20 and nothing else so maybe it doesn't matter anyway.

Unfortunately, yes, as they can't bat. Having said that, Lara seems to think Athanaze is the new Lara so let's give them another session.

But yes, they are shit, and this is bad news for cricket. Fortunately it'll all soon be franchises for T20 and nothing else so maybe it doesn't matter anyway.
They were talking about that on TMS yesterday and how T20 has affected test cricket in the West Indies in particular.

Have we knackered Wood now too? I had to go out, no idea what's happened. (Except I was right about 'give them another session', Athanaze etc)

Windies win the day and we have a Test Match on our hands! Anything can happen from here, but a result one way or the other is likely.

England's batting yesterday just didn't feel totally clever, and today has put that into context.

Similar pattern to the Australia series, although we'll see if it ends up as a win as well. It does show they've got a bit more about them than it seemed. I think the test nations collectively really need to look at supporting proper prep for the good of the game - England can't solve all the WI problems but they could offer them a couple of games against strong opposition so they're not coming in cold at least.

Similar pattern to the Australia series, although we'll see if it ends up as a win as well. It does show they've got a bit more about them than it seemed. I think the test nations collectively really need to look at supporting proper prep for the good of the game - England can't solve all the WI problems but they could offer them a couple of games against strong opposition so they're not coming in cold at least.
It's also about money. Equal appearance money for all players on both sides is long overdue in test cricket, and it's good to hear more people saying this. Often England's players are on 10x the pay of the opposition just in appearance money alone, let alone the huge annual retainer. This gets worked out using a formula under which the players get X% of the ECB's total international revenue, but they get that 10x pay even when they lose. As this series is showing, it takes two teams to make a spectacle.

I've posted about this before. The 'big 3' dipping into their pockets and paying everyone the same appearance money they currently pay their own players would cost maybe $10-20 million a year. That's not a lot in the scheme of things.

Root's up to 8th on the all-time test runs chart too, and next up on the list is one Brian Charles Lara (about 80 more needed).

250+ lead. Big session coming up after lunch - I think England will be looking at a full 4 sessions to take 10 wickets on a good batting pitch, and it might need a dangled carrot of a score to encourage some loose shots.

Back
Top Bottom