Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Strangely, I had one of my "playing for England" cricket dreams last night and Root was turning it square in our practice session before the match.

I seriously think they should have selected some of the IPL regulars (Livingstone, Curran etc) for this. This batting order has no idea how to handle Indian conditions.

I seriously think they should have selected some of the IPL regulars (Livingstone, Curran etc) for this. This batting order has no idea how to handle Indian conditions.
They've competed at times. That's the annoying thing. Livingstone and Curran would have floundered. IPL success has little to do with test success. Different wickets, different balls, different bowlers, different measures of success. Bairstow's innings today would have been a decent hand in t20.

I dare say England's batters would have better averages facing England's bowlers rather than Bumrah, Ashwin etc.

Honestly I think they've done OK overall really. That might seem ridiculous given they're almost certainly going to lose 4-1 but given the relative quality of the players available and India's strength at home I think they've competed about as well as you'd expect. Certainly I wouldn't see a Dan Lawrence here or a Liam Dawson there (or a fit Jack Leach or even an available Harry Brook) making a vast amount of difference.

I dare say England's batters would have better averages facing England's bowlers rather than Bumrah, Ashwin etc.

Honestly I think they've done OK overall really. That might seem ridiculous given they're almost certainly going to lose 4-1 but given the relative quality of the players available and India's strength at home I think they've competed about as well as you'd expect. Certainly I wouldn't see a Dan Lawrence here or a Liam Dawson there (or a fit Jack Leach or even an available Harry Brook) making a vast amount of difference.

Brook might have made a vast difference. He's world class. Do we know why he went home? Does he just hate India? He was crap in the IPL.

And I'd like to see Lawrence at least given a chance. Crawley had about 46 chances. Pope, unlimited it seems. Since his double century, against the mighty Ireland, and if you take out his lucky 196 in the 1st Test here, Pope has scored 190 runs in 12 innings at an average of 15. That is pathetic.

Brook might have made a vast difference. He's world class. Do we know why he went home? Does he just hate India? He was crap in the IPL.

And I'd like to see Lawrence at least given a chance. Crawley had about 46 chances. Pope, unlimited it seems. Since his double century, against the mighty Ireland, and if you take out his lucky 196 in the 1st Test here, Pope has scored 190 runs in 12 innings at an average of 15. That is pathetic.

Brook would have been the most likely to make a difference definitely but I wouldn't have counted on it. 'Personal reasons' is all they've put out I think. I'm sure it's out there somewhere online but nothing I've seen in the more 'reputable' media.

I'd have been happy enough for them to give Lawrence a shot (although I don't really agree with the idea they have to give everyone the same chances), maybe he'll get a go in the summer. I don't see anything about him that makes him a player who'd really have made a massive difference here though - you'd need to be in 'second Joe Root' class and even Root hasn't done well here.

'Family illness' is as far as I heard. Although some idiots on twitter were speculating that he wanted to preserve his average as he knew he'd be fucked playin in India.

Livingstone should be there. Although he may have been asked and declined as I'm sure he's somewhere right now raking it in.

There's a slightly more entertaining match going on down in NZ. Both full strength sides playing to a packed lovely little grassy ground. NZ just managing to stay in it but looking like a four day game. 14 wickets on the first day.

England will hopefully start tomorrow.

All doom and gloom from Cookie, in the post match commentary.

This was the classic "one match too far" at the end of a tough series, against the best test side in the world, in their own backyard.

England had their moments but the depth of talent in the Indian team is insane. If a couple of things came off, it'd be a very different picture.

We're gonna to pump Sri Lanka and the Windies this summer.

Bashir asking for a review when he was bowled? Kinda funny.

Anderson to retire on 700?

Having three reviews has really fucked the whole system. Most batters now just review instantly without a moment's thought. England's first innings was a case study in trying to use reviews as a get out of jail free card.

Jimmy Anderson to retire at the end of the summer after being told to.

James Anderson set to end Test career after talks with Brendon McCullum

Hate saying this, but it's at least a year too late. He should have gone last year. He shouldn't have been picked for the last two tests of the summer. Let's face it, he was awful against Aus. He wasn't awful in India, but didn't make much of an impact either and England didn't really need him.

Reminds me of Tendulkar, who held on for two extra years when his reflexes were clearly not what they had been.

I'm also always uneasy when top players try to orchestrate a final bow. Far better to do it the way Broad did last year.

Back
Top Bottom