Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Looking at the testing system might give a clue to what's possible for vaccinations. It took a while to get going, and there were some bumps along the way, but they've been doing somewhere around 300,000 tests a day for the last few months, with a theoretical 'capacity' of somewhere between 500k and 600k.

Will we hear a lot about vaccination capacity from the government while the actual figures lag behind?

Isn't it the case that when they told us about those tests, each person's throat swab counted as one test and the same person's nose test counted as another test?

So those 300,000 tests in a day translates to 150,000 people. If they get to vaccinate 150,000 people a day, that's about a million in a seven day week, so it would take twenty five weeks to vaccinate twenty five million people once, but three weeks in, they'll all need their second vaccination; so at the rate of one million vaccinations a week, it would take fifty weeks to vaccinate twenty five million people twice.

I think this weaselly government will do all in their power not to bother their arses telling us how far behind their own target they are.

Edit - The BBC's man on the news now - Hugh Pym, I think - has said that the number of people who've been vaccinated will be published each week.

Last edited:
Isn't it the case that when they told us about those tests, each person's throat swab counted as one test and the same person's nose test counted as another test?
I think they stopped doing that and then quietly knocked 1.3 million tests off the total in August.

I think this weaselly government will do all in their power not to bother their arses telling us how far behind their own target they are.
Of course. It'll all be world beating.

Johnson press conference at half 3 apparently. Bit early for me, not sure if I will watch it live or later. Maybe a bit of both.

Cheers for the heads up on that, why the fuck they can't stick to one time, so everyone knows when it's happening, is beyond me.

There will be a surge in cases hospitalisations and deaths after Christmas.
I see it as inevitable. However who will be to blame?

There will be a surge in cases hospitalisations and deaths after Christmas.
I see it as inevitable. However who will be to blame?

The government for not shutting down the airports before February half term.

However given where we are I think it's reasonable that it shouldn't be illegal for a family to meet over Christmas, the main risk is to elderly family members who are capable of deciding for themselves what sort of risk they want to take.

The government for not shutting down the airports before February half term.

However given where we are I think it's reasonable that it shouldn't be illegal for a family to meet over Christmas, the main risk is to elderly family members who are capable of deciding for themselves what sort of risk they want to take.
The main immediate risk, maybe, but if (when) transmission rates and hospital numbers go up in the weeks following Xmas, it will inevitably spread beyond those who decided to take that risk for themselves to those who tried to avoid the risk.

The current rules for crimble (& presumably new year) are going to create a tsunami of new cases then hospital admissions and then, probably deaths in January --->February / March.

The wording is simply not harsh enough, nor are the rules sufficiently strict.

Sod celebrating, we need to be preserving lives, the economy can be jump-started once this health crisis is dealt with.
jobs can be re-created, but lives can't !

Last edited:
Wales is further pushing its luck by not bringing new measures in until around or ater Christmas:

They've been fairly strict though - pubs haven't been able to serve booze since the beginning of the month and they've all had to close at 6pm.

1608135454062.png

Here's what's coming in:

Wales will go into a level four lockdown, the highest possible, from 28 December, with some sectors closing during the Christmas period.

Under the recently-published plans people will be expected to stay at home, with travel only allowed for essential reasons.

From 28 December, public facilities and holiday accommodation must be shut, and wedding receptions and wakes will need to be called off.

1608135486115.png

Some grim new data in on long-covid, which is very worrying.

A fifth of people still have coronavirus symptoms five weeks after being infected, with half of them continuing to experience problems for at least 12 weeks, official data suggests, as concerns grow about the scale and impact of “long Covid”.

Previous estimates suggested 14.5% of people in the UK had symptoms for at least four weeks, with 2.2% likely to have symptoms lasting 12 weeks or more. But new figures from the Office for National Statistics suggest ongoing symptoms could be more common than previously thought.

The latest data for England, based on the Covid infection survey, which randomly samples households for coronavirus, reveals 21% of almost 8,200 participants who were followed up after testing positive still had symptoms five weeks after infection, with 9.9% reporting symptoms 12 weeks after infection.

editor, yes it's grim, hence England is offering to help Welsh hospitals, by taking non-covid patients, before they end-up like Northern Ireland - treating patients in hospital car-parks.

They already had a patient stuck in an ambulance for over 19 hours some days ago. He sounded like a non-covid pattient but its all the same thing when it comes to hospital strain and resulting failures in care :(

So...in Wales...in theory...you can meet with 2 households mixing yes?

But - in theory - you can travel from Wales to England and the number becomes three households. Is that right?

Because it seems kinda illogical.

Nice to see that the scientific advice has caused the government to change its policy to "its your fault if you die, plebs"

Looking at today's figures, they have a seriously big problem.

New cases are up 28.7% in the last 7-days, patients admitted to hospital up 14.7%, total patients in hospitals is a whopping 17,329 - that's well up from the 12,286 on the 31st Oct., when Johnson announced the second 'lockdown'.

FFS, today's figures have increased those 7-day figures - new cases up 36.2% & patients admitted to hospital up 17%.

The most worrying figure is 18,038 in hospital, the highest since 22nd April, and almost 50% up on when the second 'lockdown' was announced. :bigeyes:

How the hell do they think the NHS is going to cope over the coming weeks?

This is how much Drakeford knows. Fantastic awareness.

The level 4 rules allow schools and colleges to stay open. But Drakeford said: “Today is the last day of school for the majority of children in Wales before Christmas, as most schools have decided to take the last two days of term as an inset day.

Today is Wednesday 16th December.

Term ends on Tuesday 22nd December.

The two days being taken as inset days are 21st and 22nd December. Schools are in, or online, tomorrow and Friday.

And this bloke runs the country.

Back
Top Bottom