Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Sucks you had to make the decision, and suffer also the fallout of it :(

Thanks. And tell me about it. Lots of people involved (which was the fucking problem) so yeah. It shouldn't even have had to be my decision. If people were thinking sensibly. This is an extended family who have been bang on up to now. But, y'know. Christmas.

I've had enough of today already. I'm going off to have an unashamed cry.

Thanks. And tell me about it. Lots of people involved (which was the fucking problem) so yeah. It shouldn't even have had to be my decision. If people were thinking sensibly. This is an extended family who have been bang on up to now. But, y'know. Christmas.

Good on you for making the right decision, especially knowing it would disappoint people.

Hopefully they will appreciate why you did it once the initial disappointment wears off, and you will be able to enjoy many more xmases together in the future.

Think that's fair enough.

I think it's the fact it's a decision that we're having to make as individuals that makes it so hard for people to accept. Various members of my family have missed birthdays and Christmases in the past because they were abroad, or in hospital, or otherwise unavailable, and people were sad but dealt with it.

But when I told my mum I wouldn't be visiting for her or my dad's birthdays in November (they're a week apart) she took it very personally and got very upset. So much so that, after a minor mental meltdown and, indeed, a bit of a cry, I caved and swung by for a couple of hours one evening.

But yeah, as andysays, um, says ( :D ), fair play for taking the decision and making that hard call. There will be other opportunities, and that's why you're doing it* :)

*at the risk of making assumptions about your reasons :hmm:

I'll probably have something to say once I've seen the per-trust hospital data later today.

Yeah, I don't want to say whether it was a good decesion or a bad one it just looks odd.

In the space of 6 or 7 weeks Bristol has gone from tier 1 to lockdown to tier 3 and now to tier 2. Are things really changing that rapidly on the ground? Bit odd.

Don't know if anyone heard it at the time but near the start of Covid (I think, time's gone a bit weird), a woman was interviewed on the Today programme whose husband had Covid and who was in an induced coma and near death. He pulled through against the odds and after spending a very long time in hospital. Anyway, he was interviewed this morning with his wife. He was quite candid about the long-term and permanent consequences of the illness -- like his kidneys being shot, his lungs being in a bad way and having some fingers amputated. It's sobering stuff and another reminder (if one were needed) of why all these measures are in place. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't want to say whether it was a good decesion or a bad one it just looks odd.

In the space of 6 or 7 weeks Bristol has gone from tier 1 to lockdown to tier 3 and now to tier 2. Are things really changing that rapidly on the ground? Bit odd.

I still havent had a chance to look at all the data but when I do I expect to see some which indicates how they were able to make the decision.

This doesnt mean I will agree with that decision or most other decisions, since I mostly favoured a continuation of national measures throughout winter.

I have gone looking for the 'data packs' that support the tier decisions yet, but I have skimmed through the tedious paragraphs of info about each location, which are below Hancocks statement on this page:

Its not impressive stuff. Northampton has often bothered me during this pandemic and thats true of this wave. So I dont really consider it appropriate for them to be in tier 2, and I dont think the attempt to justify that is convincing:

The overall picture remains mixed in Northamptonshire. Case rates are broadly increasing across the area, but case rates in over 60s are decreasing across the majority of the area. Case rates in all ages have increased by 25% or more over the last 7 days in Northampton and both East and South Northamptonshire, with Northampton also showing a rise in all indicators. The epidemiology indicators do not currently warrant inclusion in Tier 3.

The number of daily COVID hospital admissions in the Northamptonshire STP continues to rise and has doubled in the last 14 days. The daily COVID bed occupancy is above the national acute hospital average and continues to rise.

The Bristol stuff is hardly convincing either:

Since the end of national restrictions, the situation in Bristol has broadly improved. The case rate remains high at 120 per 100,000 (though decreasing), and the case rate in over 60s is also high. In the most recent data however, the trajectory of case rates has levelled off. Epidemiology indicators have decreased sufficiently for the area to be de-escalated to Tier 2.

In the Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire STP, COVID admissions, bed occupancy and critical care bed occupancy remain stable below the national average.

By contrast, places like Milton Keynes have also bothered me in data over the last month, and here is their explanation for increasing the tier there:

Since the end of national restrictions, the situation in Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes has deteriorated and overall case rates are increasing. Case rates remain greater than 150 per 100,000 population in all four local authorities in the area and are over 200 per 100,000 in Luton and Milton Keynes. The case rates in the most recent few days shows rapid increases in Bedford, Central Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes, and a very high rate in Luton. Case rates in people aged over 60 remain above 100 per 100,000 and are increasing in Central Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes. Positivity is increasing across all four local authorities. The rate of increase of the epidemiology indicators is concerning and warrants escalation to Tier 3.

The number of daily COVID hospital admissions in the Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes STP continues to rise. The daily COVID bed occupancy is above the national acute hospital average and continues to rise. The proportion of critical care beds or beds with mechanical ventilation occupied by COVID patients remains high.

Maybe the data packs will be slightly more compelling to me, if I ever find them.

Its a stupid fucking decision imo.
As restrictions are being lifted for 5 days over Christmas it would have been a better idea to put everyone in tier 3 before and after.

Bristol will just be having a huge party from Saturday onwards.....

Not good. Time to cancel Christmas. :(

EpdD6mKXIAAuNCj

Not good. Time to cancel Christmas. :(

EpdD6mKXIAAuNCj

11,000 of those new cases were from prior to yesterday, a backlog in reporting from Wales.

Still grim, but not as grim as it appears.

The number of new UK cases reported on 17 December 2020 includes around 11,000 previously unreported cases for Wales as a result of system maintenance in the NHS Wales Laboratory Information Management System.

Further information is available from Public Health Wales.

11,000 of those new cases were from prior to yesterday, a backlog in reporting from Wales.

Still grim, but not as grim as it appears.

Yes the magically reappearing Wales case data affects todays figure in a notable way, ie most of the large red area in todays bar on this chart:

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 17.22.39.png

However, when looking at case graphs by date of test specimen instead of by date of reporting, which is not distorted by the Wales backlog being reported in a single day, there is still a bad recent spike, and its a spike where England is responsible for the bulk of it.

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 17.21.52.png

Not long left till the media make much of the 2 million positive UK cases milestone I guess.

A few more crappy paragraphs from the tier decisions page mentioned earlier.

A fine example of describing a deteriorating situation but not doing anything about it:

There is a deteriorating epidemiological picture across Oxfordshire, albeit starting from a relatively low level. Case rates in all local authorities (Oxford, South Oxfordshire, Cherwell, Vale of White Horse and West Oxfordshire) have seen large increases over the last 7 days. Test positivity is increasing across the area. Case rates in over 60s are above 100 per 100,000 and increasing in South Oxfordshire. The epidemiology indicators and trend are too high for allocation to Tier 1 but do currently not warrant inclusion in Tier 3.

In the Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire West STP the number of daily COVID hospital admissions continues to rise. The daily COVID bed occupancy is below the national acute hospital average but continues to rise.

Here in Warwickshire there was plenty of moaning at the county level and from MPS in the south of the county, and the wording of the Warwickshire stuff seems entirely focussed on that. First they gave Coventry and Solihull their own entries rather than lumping them in with Warwickshire, because they were lumped together last time (probably because of data about travel & work patterns) and people moaned about that. But giving those places their own entry doesnt really mean the decisions for these areas are entirely decoupled behind the scenes. And then the Warwickshire paragraph fails to mention the northern areas of Warwickshire at all, and fousses on the bits of South Warwickshire where MPs were moaning. I also include this as an example of them justifying an area to remain in tier 3:

The overall picture remains concerning in Warwickshire. Case rates for all ages have increased in Warwick, Rugby and Stratford-on-Avon, and the most recent data also shows that this trend is continuing across the area. Warwick is of particular concern with a rapidly increasing case rate that now stands at 176 per 100,000 (increase of 76% over the last 7 days) and a case rate in the over 60s at 159 per 100,000 (also increasing at a concerning rate). The epidemiology indicators are still too high for Tier 2. In Stratford-on-Avon the case rate is lower but is on the increase (over 50% increase in case rate for all ages in the last 7 days). The changing trajectory of the epidemiology indicators does not support de-escalation to Tier 2. De-escalation now will likely lead to rising case numbers, and risks rapid re-escalation at, or in advance of, the next review point.

The number of daily COVID hospital admissions in the area continues to rise. The daily COVID hospital bed occupancy rate is below the national average but continues to rise. The proportion of critical care beds or beds with mechanical ventilation occupied by COVID patients remains high.

All in all and regardless of how many different indicators they claim to use to make these decisions, it still seems to fit the simple story of the government mostly only caring about hospitals being completely overwhelmed, and only getting tough with measures when that prospect looms large in the near future. They certainly have not learnt from the various SAGE recommendations about quickly doing enough to stop situations declining rather than waiting till the same bad picture emerges everywhere that has too weak restrictions. They've learnt to pay lip service to those concepts, but not much more.

I know it's all shit but you're doing your bit to make it less shit for everyone and that's really all there is to be done.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking my brother’s family should not be going to see grandparents in Devon? They’re in Leeds (Tier 3) and Devon is 2. Also visiting is SIL’s sister’s family from London (T3). Don’t know why they don’t all just stay put.

Similar story with my family. I don't get it either. Most of the people involved have long since had the virus and recovered (although my sister is convinced she got in January, which seems pretty :hmm: to me) but that's not really the point is it?

Another change of rules just making things more confusing. Plus another load of mixed messages from Johnson and his coterie of cunts. People are having to make decisions based on their own perceptions of risk which is why we see these disparities in behaviour. Those at the lower end are also driven by the spetre of xmas spirit, god knows how many older relatives are going to get infected by visiting grandkids etc.

The schools are rife with it atm, my parents, inlaws and us are all having quiet times at home with no visitors. It hurts obvs but not as much as ending up in an ICU. Hopefully we can make up for it at Easter.

Back
Top Bottom