Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

it would have been much easier to just say 'oh yeah, she doesn't have a driver, I got that wrong' tbh.

You mean like clarifying "I wasn't really thinking about her having a named, personal driver - somebody will have been driving her around within London." Some MPs do use public transport within London but I doubt many of them are right now.

The getting home thing is a bit of a red herring I think (although the train thing is totally unforgiveable). The big mistake was going to London right at the beginning. Obviously once she was there and then the test came back positive getting home would be some sort of compromise.

Met my friend for coffee today, he told me he's having to sell his barbers' shop, where he also lived with his beloved cat. He's found himself a flat nearby, but the new landlord won't let him have pets so he's had to rehome the cat. So not only is he losing his business, but also his best friend.:(

When we'd parted ways, I was later walking from Notting Hill to Oxford Street and noticed there were even more homeless people than usual, which depressed me even more, and made me feel so guilty because I didn't even have enough on me to give 20p each.

What set me off was when I stopped in a pub for a cup of tea and had to go through all the leaving of details and confirming I only wanted a table for one. I realised many people make friends just by going to the pub and chatting to other punters but now they're not allowed to mingle, and for so many people this is one of their only sources of human interaction, and it's now been taken away. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, having friendly housemates who I get on well with, so I'm not without company, but I got really upset thinking about all the lonely people out there with no one to talk to. I fucking hate what this virus is doing to everyone!

The government has quietly changed its guidance on the number of days within which people with coronavirus symptoms should get tested, the Guardian has learned, raising fears that the disease could spread quicker.
Various internal messages seen by the Guardian show coronavirus helpline team leaders suggesting the tests do not provide an accurate result more than five days after first having symptoms. “If over five days, the tests will not provide an accurate result,” one said.

Staff reacted with surprise and bemusement to the change, made without announcement or explanation. The reason behind the move was unclear, but there will be suggestions that it is intended to help manage stretched capacity.

To control the spread of coronavirus, it is vital that potential carriers are identified as swiftly as possible after exhibiting symptoms, and experts said the change made the spread of the virus more likely.

Prof Allyson Pollock, a member of the Independent Sage committee, said extending the time period in which symptomatic people can be tested could lead to infectious people not being identified soon enough, further undermining the effectiveness of contact tracing.

“The priority for the government should be to find symptomatic people early and to follow the statutory notification system, which requires medical practitioners to notify suspected cases to local authorities,” she said. “This can only be done by integrating testing into clinical care in primary care settings and through local contact tracing.

“The problem is, the government has carved testing out of health services and general practice and public health and created a centralised, ineffective, privatised testing and contact-tracing system instead of rebuilding public health and primary care and NHS lab capacity locally.”

She added that the extension also risked the tests identifying more people who were no longer infectious and could result in the unnecessary isolation of contacts.

The test used in the UK is not a test of infectiousness, experts have said, as it does not distinguish between those who have the virus and are infectious and those who are no longer infectious. There have been many false results as a consequence.

Due to a technical issue, which has now been resolved, there has been a delay in publishing a number of COVID-19 cases to the dashboard in England. This means the total reported over the coming days will include some additional cases from the period between 24 September and 1 October, increasing the number of cases reported.

12,872 reported today.

The getting home thing is a bit of a red herring I think (although the train thing is totally unforgiveable). The big mistake was going to London right at the beginning. Obviously once she was there and then the test came back positive getting home would be some sort of compromise.

All compounded by the fact she lied/presented alternative facts about why she was going back home as well.

Met my friend for coffee today, he told me he's having to sell his barbers' shop, where he also lived with his beloved cat. He's found himself a flat nearby, but the new landlord won't let him have pets so he's had to rehome the cat. So not only is he losing his business, but also his best friend.:(

When we'd parted ways, I was later walking from Notting Hill to Oxford Street and noticed there were even more homeless people than usual, which depressed me even more, and made me feel so guilty because I didn't even have enough on me to give 20p each.

What set me off was when I stopped in a pub for a cup of tea and had to go through all the leaving of details and confirming I only wanted a table for one. I realised many people make friends just by going to the pub and chatting to other punters but now they're not allowed to mingle, and for so many people this is one of their only sources of human interaction, and it's now been taken away. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, having friendly housemates who I get on well with, so I'm not without company, but I got really upset thinking about all the lonely people out there with no one to talk to. I fucking hate what this virus is doing to everyone!

There are some small wins to be found... the flipside to your point is that it's enabled some of us to have a valid,bathed in legality reason for NOT having to be around certain people!!

Means the figures from the last week or so need another thousand a day or so.

Concerning they know there's more high figures to come.

Weirdly, that's actually more reassuring than my first thought, which was - 'oh shit, it took 2 weeks (?) to double from 3000-ish cases a day to 6000-ish, and now it's doubled to 12000-ish overnight...!!'

(I know the above isn't remotely accurate, but it's what's vaguely in my head from half paying attention to the news...)

Oh - it's not so bad*, just govt lying to us as usual?

*the escalation that is - the number of cases per day is obviously really bad.

Back
Top Bottom