Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

It's just hard to imagine quite how psychopathic you'd have to be to even entertain the idea that 'credit rating' represented an appropriate means of gatekeeping Covid testing. These fuckers are properly sick.
Makes sense to prepare for the Moonshot though where we all have to pay through the (so to speak) nose. Get that system up and running. :thumbs:

We have a street whatsapp group and people have been talking alternatives to trick or treat - both gsv and I think that's not necessary as it's not like touch is likely to be a big risk factor. But I do get other people may not be comfortable with it - we're talking about going all out for the decor, and maybe having a 'parade' so everyone can see kids' costumes.

Saying people have to stay in no more than 5 to trick or treat is just stupid - one person answering the door to 5, who are outside no less, and interacting with them for less than 30 seconds is not a gathering or any risk (also what if you have 5 people in a group and then a couple, or a few kids, answer the door together? :rolleyes: ). If that were the case then you could call any group of people less than 2m apart from one another in Tesco a 'a gathering'

111 again:

THe article covers other aspects of this too. Too many quotable paragraphs so here is just one more.
As the emergency ramped up in March I has a flurry of reference requests for students who got jobs in 111 call handling so I know some call handlers must have had scant training

My daughter has no credit history, and I'd be amazed if any of her friends do either. The vast majority of under-25s will never have applied for credit. Under-16s can be verified by their parents' history, but that leaves a huge number of people who won't qualify.

Ooo I dunno about that. Doesn't a phone contract count as a credit application?

Of all the things to worry about right now, Halloween is the least of them

In the interests of trying to find a light in the darkness, covid is a good excuse to tell trick or treaters to bog off!

I've just had a call from the ONS surveillance testing programme. They're bringing my first test kit round tomorrow. I've been advised to watch a Department of Health video on how to do it. Obviously I'll do this, but I did joke to the woman who rang me that if it features Matt Hancock I'll assume it's all wrong and go looking for another source of advice.

He said compliance with the virus restrictions had been "high at first" but then "everybody got a bit, kind of complacent and blasé".

Even if I place to one side the really obvious stuff such as all the reopenings he permitted, the Cummings shit etc, I am left with more:

On June 23rd he had a press conference where pubs reopening and other stuff was confirmed to be going ahead on July 4th. He also announced an end to the daily press conferences.

And then, during the Q&A section, he came out with "I want to see bustle and I want to see activity".

Also in the same press conference he went through the 5 tests they claimed to be using to judge that they could relax restrictions.

One of them was described by Johnson on that day as follows:

Our fourth test is that we must be confident that the range of operational challenges, including on testing capacity and Personal Protective Equipment, are in hand, with supply able to meet future demand.

Testing capacity was found to be lacking by late August/early September, and then the press got bored of it and are much happier to report Johnsons latest blame-shifting propaganda instead.

What is "you feel you have symptoms" though?
Probably something like once every week or two, since this thing started, I've felt a bit off and thought "do I have symptoms". So far each time I've decided that no, I probably don't, but the threshold at which I'd go the other way is not very clear. Especially when you know that many people only experience mild symptoms.

The continuous cough, loss of taste/smell, fever thing or feeling rough. Once you've asked for the test though you've really got to treat it as if you have it until confirmed otherwise.

The detail certainly adds to the earlier story :facepalm:

Apart from being bloody irresponsible, I don't understand how people with COVID symptoms can have the energy to do anything other than lying in bed with a book and drinking their body weight in hot tea! When I get even a cold, I feel shit and take that as a sign that I'm run down and need to recharge my batteries. The last thing I'd feel like doing in that situation would be travelling between London and Scotland by train, and that's just with a cold without a fever!

Apart from being bloody irresponsible, I don't understand how people with COVID symptoms can have the energy to do anything other than lying in bed with a book and drinking their body weight in hot tea! When I get even a cold, I feel shit and take that as a sign that I'm run down and need to recharge my batteries. The last thing I'd feel like doing in that situation would be travelling between London and Scotland by train, and that's just with a cold without a fever!

Because the symptoms can be mild, especially to being with.

That's not to excuse her actions; she could have found another way to get home, because she's not poor to start with and the govt would help, and shouldn't have travelled so much while knowing she was waiting for a test after symptoms. But plenty of people with confirmed covid don't even get that ill.

Because the symptoms can be mild, especially to being with.

That's not to excuse her actions; she could have found another way to get home, because she's not poor to start with and the govt would help, and shouldn't have travelled so much while knowing she was waiting for a test after symptoms. But plenty of people with confirmed covid don't even get that ill.
Being an MP she will have a London gaff.

Being an MP she will have a London gaff.

Probably, but if she really did want to just get home, she'd also have a driver. I wouldn't blame her for going home in one car with one person and isolating there. That's not what she did.

Probably, but if she really did want to just get home, she'd also have a driver. I wouldn't blame her for going home in one car with one person and isolating there. That's not what she did.
Being a backbench SNP MP she would not have a driver. Cabinet ministers are the only ones to get a driver. She could have got a taxi but would probably get sued by the driver afters.

Back
Top Bottom