Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

This is depressing:

...a survey of 2,000 people aged 16 to 25 across the UK showed 44% had lower aspirations for the future as a result of the pandemic ... 41% of young people believe their future goals now seem "impossible to achieve", with this rising to 50% of those surveyed from poorer backgrounds. More than a third of young people, 38%, feel they will "never succeed in life". This rises to 48% of those from poorer homes.

:(

hey MrSki - could you please stop posting every single clickbait post you read on twitter onto here without checking whether they're real/recent?
Sorry it is trending on twitter so I thought it was recent. Still worth posting to see the cunt squirm.

How are the oxygen levels up there on your high horse?

Sorry it is trending on twitter so I thought it was recent. Still worth posting to see the cunt squirm.

How are the oxygen levels up there on your high horse?
dude, you do this constantly. it's boring and annoying and it fills threads with pointless bollocks, and in most cases you literally only have to spend an extra 10 seconds or so checking whether something is real before posting it. It's not that hard. much easier than then being offended when someone pulls you up on it.

Ian Lavery posted this 10 minutes ago.

It is trending & all over twitter. I am not offended on being pulled up. I welcome your input & pulling me up on posts. :thumbs: Surely you get a buzz by feeling superior? Am I not doing you a favour? :)

There's going to be another covid press briefing tomorrow with Johnson, Whitty & Vallance.

The news conference will be focused on the latest numbers, rather than an announcement of new lockdown measures.

The PM's official spokesman said: "The purpose of that is to provide an update on the latest statistics.

"It is not because there is some specific set of new announcements to make."

Last edited:
There's going to be another covid press briefing tomorrow with Johnson, Whitty & Vallance.

I imagine it's going to be update / stern warnings. Makes sense I suppose. It'd be no good Vallance and Whitty doing that we're all doomed press conference a while back and then just disappearing. It needs to be followed up on.

We border Wirral, where I work. I do socially-distanced home visits to see children and virtual visits (using Whatsapp etc) where risks to the child(ren) has been judged to be less critical.

Typical conversation:

Me: "I need to wear a mask and keep distance. Can the kids come outside or to the window?"

Parent: "Nah, don't worry, we're fine."

Me: "No, it's really important that..."

Parent: "We don't mind, honestly"

Me: "I don't want to risk me bringing anything in."

Parent: "(laughs) It's fine!"

I would judge that the initial fear has gone. A bit like that lone swimmer in Thailand in the 2004 tsunami standing stationary as the wave hits. I want to lecture, but probably counter-productive.

Isn't life extraordinary? :confused:

exactly. Fear is a short emotion , can’t be sustained for months on end. Now we need to rely on something else (sense of interconnectedness , understanding maths , I don’t know) something anyway that’s not at all as readily motivating as actual fear.

That's a nice and important thought, thanks. Yeah, a sense of social responsibility and collective care etc. rather than solely fear. Unfortunately things that can be in short supply.

Back
Top Bottom