Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Panorama at 7.30pm on BBC1 is about test & trace with whistleblowers working for it. Might be worth a watch if you don't have high blood pressure.

I'd watch it if I was confident that they have a much broader range of whistleblowers than the 'I was paid to contact trace by phone but mostly sat around on my arse with nothing to do' stuff which has already been pretty well covered. Hopefully they do.

18:00 entry on BBC updates page says: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54315280

But other rules have also come into law today which ban pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes from playing music which exceeds 85 decibels, although live performances are exempt.

The new laws also say that pub landlords or those who run other venues like hotel bars, restaurants and members clubs, must take "all reasonable measures" to stop singing on the premises by customers in groups of more than six, and dancing.

Wedding ceremonies and receptions are exempt from the rule.

That ^ is to be enacted immediately in the areas he’s talking about?

eta it does look like it.

That looks like if you were halfway through a cup of tea at your friends house you just became illegal . That I find very disconcerting.

BBC live updates page has this as a 18:35 entry, sounds like it kicks in when Wednesday begins:

A law prohibiting households from mixing in any indoor setting is to be introduced in the most populous parts of north-east England from 00:01 BST on Wednesday.

The Department of Health said existing local lockdown measures for Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Northumberland and Sunderland are being tightened at the request of the local councils in response to high and increasing infection rates.

Current guidance only advises residents not to mix with people outside their household or bubble in indoor settings, such as pubs and restaurants.

The DoH says the guidance will now be enforceable and subject to fines, although the law will not apply to Covid-secure schools and workplaces.

A funding package is being agreed with councils to support the measures and the rising infection rate.

My bold. The whole Covid-secure concept is so bogus.

I'd watch it if I was confident that they have a much broader range of whistleblowers than the 'I was paid to contact trace by phone but mostly sat around on my arse with nothing to do' stuff which has already been pretty well covered. Hopefully they do.
from the Freeview guide.
SUMMARY
Panorama hears from whistleblowers working inside the government’s new coronavirus tracking system. They are so concerned about NHS Test and Trace that they are speaking out to reveal chaos, technical problems, confusion, wasted resources and a system that does not appear to them to be working. The programme also hears from local public health teams who say they have largely been ignored by the government in favour of the private companies hired to run the new centralised tracking system. As Panorama investigates, it has left some local authorities questioning whether local lockdowns could have been handled better or avoided altogether.

'Covid Secure' when it comes to the workplace is an exercise in ticking boxes in order to ensure staff attendance (even though it's illegal in
most social settings to gather in a similar fashion). Just my informed opinion from my recent work experience.

Economic considerations outweigh health considerations, just as they did in March. Only difference this time is that the business, and scaling up, government, has learnt from previously, and has now got us by the balls!!!

"
But other rules have also come into law today which ban pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes from playing music which exceeds 85 decibels, although live performances are exempt.

The new laws also say that pub landlords or those who run other venues like hotel bars, restaurants and members clubs, must take "all reasonable measures" to stop singing on the premises by customers in groups of more than six, and dancing."

Ah there is an upside then. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm gutted there are no gigs but loud shit music, it usually is shit, the trend for most bars / pubs to have hard flooring and gobby shouty patrons do agrovate. Karioki can obviously fuck right off as well.

OMG I agree with Gove about something!

"Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, has emerged as the leading voice in the cabinet for more restrictions, overtaking Matt Hancock, the health secretary. Another senior Tory source added: “Michael is the most hard now on all of this. He was pushing for all manner of restrictions last week.”
I thought he was an anti mask / KBF type.

OMG I agree with Gove about something!

"Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, has emerged as the leading voice in the cabinet for more restrictions, overtaking Matt Hancock, the health secretary. Another senior Tory source added: “Michael is the most hard now on all of this. He was pushing for all manner of restrictions last week.”

Pob is of course the one who is going to be put up as the lone voice of sanity in this shambles, especially by those papers - and of course these claims of brilliance will persist despite them often being in direct opposition to whatever common-sense / hard policy he was the champion of the week before.

I was thinking about this while unable to sleep, so this is probably total bullshit like most insomnia induced thoughts I have.

But I am not sure that any new lockdown measures can do much to reduce infection rates. I think a lot of infections comes from households mixing either at peoples homes or in pubs and do on. And I think rules on household mixing are frankly just being ignored as people have got fed up no seeing friends and family. Not only are people ignoring it, but it us essentially impossible to police, unless people are having large and loud parties.

One of the effects of tougher lockdown measures is to increase peoples perception of the risk and make them less likely to engage in risky behaviour, but I am not convinced it will have much impact on household mixing.

no, the rules are unclear and change at will according to the culture war fancies within the tory party (and to a lesser extent) labour. why has the left gone so bonkers on this and asking the state to be more statist than thou? Antifascism not gonna do yer baked beans coated backsides any good when similar measures start being proposed by the state and capital for the climate catastrophe.

no, the rules are unclear and change at will according to the culture war fancies within the tory party (and to a lesser extent) labour. why has the left gone so bonkers on this and asking the state to be more statist than thou? Antifascism not gonna do yer baked beans coated backsides any good when similar measures start being proposed by the state and capital for the climate catastrophe.

what do you suggest for people who are vulnerable and shielding?

If they are financially and mentally able to then sure. But it's a bit rich blaming people for not isolating when we have the highest death rate in...

If you're talking about the tories then yes of course.

But you'd agree with the government there that you'd shield if you can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom